Thread: Dog Pooing in Her Kennel :(

Default Dog Pooing in Her Kennel :(

Hello! I am new here but thought I would come and ask if anyone has suggestions for what to do with my dog who is pooing in her kennel.

She is an 8yo GSD, was de-sexed at 6 months of age. She is our only dog and has a huge kennel that is approx 4m2 in area.

This started approx 6 months ago. I have pulled all of her bedding out of the kennel which stopped it for a couple of weeks. I figured she wouldn't poo there if she had to sleep in it.

I have also tried saturating the kennel floor with urine-off which was suggested by the vet. This also worked for about a week or two but now makes no difference.

I really dont know what else to do. She can poo anywhere in her yard but chooses the kennel. Its revolting!

I would love to hear if anyone has a possible solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Welcome BizzyBel

It's probably that the kennel is too big and your dog thinks it's ok to sleep at one end and crap at the other.

Cleanup - I recommend after scraping up what you can, - using bicab soda and then a sponge or cloth soaked in vinegar, and then finishing with a mix of lavendar oil and water. Like 1/2 teaspoon lavendar oil to 1 litre of water in one of those mister bottles.

You may also need to get a UV light

Use this when it's dark, along with a crayon to mark any spot that glows under UV for clean up.

If you've had the dog with this set up for a long time - and it's just changed recently - please take her (and a poo sample) to the vet for a check up to make sure nothing internally is going wrong.

My dog had the occasional accident of the code brown sort - if she'd been eating bones (we don't do that any more) or she'd found a mother lode of bbq fat somewhere. Ie really bad tummy upset.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 11-16-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Assuming no medical problem I agree with previous poster - kennel is too big. Can you make it smaller using cardboard boxes put on sides to make it a better size for the dog. The same thing happens when you buy a crate that are too big for the dog and they decide there is room to sleep in one end and poop in the other.

Wow this must be so hard to deal with. As I know that you know that this is so out of what a dog would normally do in and close to their bedding area.
    I am going to agree with the above posts as I think they have go it right and I wouldn't know what to do in the same position.
    Hope what has been said already has fixed this up for you.
    Keep us posted on how you go.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems like a good idea to make her kennel smaller. I think I will put her bed back in there and try and box it in.

You think you are doing your dog a favour by building them a castle and then they go and treat it like a public loo!

I have wondered too whether she started doing it during the bad weather because she doesn't like going out in the rain? I was thinking of putting a little sheltered area next to the kennel for when she is being a princess and doesn't want to get her coat wet.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I will let you know how we go!

Thread Information