Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obedience Training

Thanks all for the ideas and a few of them we have done and in the end we have come to this conclusion.
    Murphy is a pup and when he grows up he will then take notice of what we are asking of him. Our last Heeler was so well trained that I think we are trying to put him into this bracket also, but he is a totally different dog in all ways.
    I do train Murphy with treats in the yard and out side of the yard. And to this I have taken him for a lesson and he was quite good, though the boss wants to do his training without the aid of treats, so I will insist that next time she does.
    Last training session there were a few fella's kicking the footy and he was zeroed on to the ball, so this didn't help matters.
    And I also forgot to mention that after the class the instructor asked if the wife and Murphy wait back. Then the instructor took Murphy thinking that she could get him to do as she wanted.
    Big mistake he listened to her like he listen's to the Boss. Murphy is a high energy pup at the moment and he was having nothing of it. And in the end even the instructor said that he will come around in time.
    In training at home he is the best, and I mean I ask him to sit and it is right away as with all other comands.
    I know he can do it as he does it with me, and I want him to respect the Boss so this is why she is doing it. I might even try to have her feed him a couple of nights before training and see if this improves things.
    But I really thank you all for putting in the time to try to help and I have to say I will put a few in place as of tomorrow, as we get our new car today. So it is play time for us.

Just a small tip: if you're using treats for training don't feed Murphy beforehand. I'd be inclined to give him just half of his breakfast instead of a full breakfast too. That way he is hungry and 10 times more likely to work for the food.

ACD's, like most working breeds will bond more strongly to one person. They will work better, learn faster and be more obedient with that one person. They have been bred to work in tandem with one person. While you can get Murphy to obey both of you, it's my bet that he will always work best for you.

I tend to fully agree with you on this.
    And going by experience I have seen this before.
    Our last Heeler was so well trained and I took her to all lessons.
    While she did listen to others she would sort of do it all in a delayed fashion.
    But if I asked her to do it she was right on it.
    And I think this to is happening now.
    I have watched the Boss and Murphy while infront of the idiot box.
    Murphy would do something wrong like jump up onto the lounge.
    The Boss would tell him "off " , he would just stand there and look at her.
    So I told him the same and he was off right away.
    So this does come down to exactlly what you have said.

Now it looks like we will have to have a rethink about this.
    One reason why the Boss takes him is due to my back.
    I am not too quick when it comes to walking and I know all well most dogs like fast walking.
    I will talk it over with her and see what we come up with.
    But I like the point that we are making, in that he has to listen to her.

The problem with you jumping in is that even though you're intending to teach him to do what your wife says, you're actually teaching him that he can ignore her until you step in.

Next time it happens, let her deal with it. If he doesn't do it on the first request, she should take his collar and gently lead him off the lounge saying the same command, then praise him when he's on the floor. This way he learns that ignoring her gets him nowhere. I.e: take it back to the start with him.

hi Ridstars

I think my dog spent a lot of time ignoring me. At 9 months old if I let her off lead for recall or stay work - she would visit every class and instructor to say hi - without letting any of them close enough to catch her - except the one that fed her fritz in grade 1.

You might think they're not learning - but they are, so even if there are lots of failures - you keep going through the motions. At least it will hone your skills even if the puppy is still being a puppy with the attention span of a gnat.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 11-10-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: can't spell bug

I totally agree.
    I know he is learning, and in his learning he is doing it all so well at home.
    We just have to get him to do it with distractions.
    I know I will get there oneday, and I feel it is'n't that far away.

With the boy on the lounge thing it is now a game and he just waits for me to tell him to get off. All so he can do this big jump onto his mat.
    I have noticed this the last couple of times. He sits there waiting to be told off so he can jump.
    Murphy has got inteligents and you can see it running through him. So with time he will grow out of these things but it is us expecting too much of him at this stage.
    Well this is what I think we are doing.

Hi Ridstars

It's funny how the cue - ie telling him to get off the couch and on the mat - has reward value in itself. This is why SG says not to repeat a cue, especially when the dog knows the task and has stuffed up - because the cue has value ie sit/drop/weave/touch - the command itself can evoke all the feel good of the rewards you used to train it...

One way around this is to mix things up a bit, and to sometimes just go up to dog, take him gently by the collar and put him on the mat. But it's not something my dog does.

I have built quite a lot of value for her to get on a phone book wrapped in a towel that's in front of the TV where we practice some small training moves like "perch work" - so if she wants something (eg my toast) - she gets on the phone book. Works every time - cos it cracks me up.

Maybe you could reward him for being on the mat occasionally - ie all he needs to do is be there and you give him some treat or an ear rub or something to build good feelings about being on the mat. Ie once you've told him to go there, and he's there, every five to ten minutes or well before he's inclined to get off (what ever time that is) - reward him for being on the mat. No cue required. Just position.

se qld

Jumping off the couch, LOL , oh boy, does our pooch love this also.
    Such a great game.
    I will try a perch scenario Hyacinth, I think Snoop would enjoy this
    and it is a bit of training dressed up as a game. Game = Nirvana.
    The couch business will have to end, he is too big now.

We have had a mat at one end of the kitchen mainly as a safety zone
    for him while I am cooking, absolutely the single best thing we ever did.
    He even sleeps on it sometimes so it is his "happy place".

When he gets in trouble he will slink away and go straight to the mat and sit nicely.

Yes my dog definitely likes being on her mat. Took a while to get there but she seeks it out. I also had her crate set up in the corner of the room - it's currently not there but she still goes there from time to time. Especially if I'm eating toast - cos she used to get a lot of toast for being in her crate.

Its funny, I don't reward her much for jumping on the couch or being on it but she loves being there - cos it's usually with me.

It is actually funny that you have said to give Murphy a reward for just being on his mat at times.
    Now this is no lie, it is as honest as it is me typing this reply to this.
    Murphy was sleeping on his mat today, I was at the kitchen table. I got up and went over to him then I layed down with him and started to pat him all over and he loved it.
    And I could see that he was real happy with this little interaction with us.
    It is something I will do a little more from now on.

Thread Information