Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Park Incodent - Really Upsetting

Default Dog Park Incodent - Really Upsetting

I don't let my staffy off lead more description in this thread:

But I do walk both my dogs in a lap around the dog park to get them accustomed to the presence of other dogs in situations outside obedience training. It helps to stop then reacting to other dogs who are lunging when we do figure eights or dog passing dog.

Sui once pinned down and growled at a small dog at the dog park, it sounded a lot worse than what it was. I was easily able to restrain her and niether dog was injured. But that incodent was the one that convinced me to get a behaviouralist (DogLogic) to assess her. They assessed her as not dog aggressive but very in your face which other dogs will react to. I was left with some recall excerises.

Ever since then she's never been off lead except at home or if noone else is in the dog park. We live with my OH's 2 chihuahuas and our cat can parade in front of her with no reaction.

How today unfolded:
    I was walking my pair, was greeted at the door by several large dogs. No issues, lots of tails wagging.
    I walked them around and a small bull breed x pup came out of nowhere and latched onto my staffy's face (puppy play). She quickly pinned him down and growled but released when I yelled "No", she didn't have him in her mouth but was holding on with her front paws. My dogs were on lead the pup was off lead. I was keeping a good distance between my dogs and the others, in fact I was walking the fence line.

The pup approached again but I put my staffy in a sit stay and she ignored it's second advances, owner frantically came running up and grabbed their pup.
    Next thing I know I have an owner of a small fluffy yelling at me to get my "Aggressive staffy out of the park". Reason is her dog kept approaching mine and her recall was rubbish.
    I was so heated up I yelled back and told her to report me to council if she had an issue.

I pay rates too, my rates paid for that park as much as anyone elses. Being abused there and being told to get out in my oppinion is completely unfair. Anyone using that park should have complete control of their animal and as far as I'm concerned I took necessary measures by keeping my dog on lead.

I know my staffy which is why she isn't off lead, she jumps up on people and is generally excitable. If I knew how to change that I would but the fact is I've exhausted all avenues, Yep every trick mentioned in the previous thread.

Just gets me depressed because of the amount of work I've put into her training, 2.5 years of obedience work. She can distance drop for goodness sake . I'm seriously in tears.

I don't know what to think anymore, I've had 4 pets killed by stray dogs and been to court as witness to a pitbull attack. Plus my sister and her sharpei were attacked by a staffy that broke his owners hand only last week, she still has the scabs to prove it.

I made a promise to myself when I adopted my staffy I wouldn't be like the owners that let their dogs attack. I feel like a shit owner, I don't deserve her :'( .
    The COOLEST Rats and Mice are ICED

QLD, Sunshine Coast

if you're anywhere near the sunshine coast come up and pay a visit to Dog Gone it, the 2 trainers there are IMO very good, one bloke is a RAAF dog handler and assesses and trains dogs and handlers all over the world. He is the one you want to talk to about any form of aggression or over excitedness (dont think that is a word!!) He has worked miracles on countless dogs that come there and best of all its free, you just have to do your part and continue and build on his base work and what he has shown you! PM if you want to come along!

No I'm in St Helens Park NSW (near Campbelltown) - sounds awesome though.
    I was recommended Lamarra but I have resistance from my OH and even members of the obedience club. I was told it'd be about $500 which isn't too bad really but they may not accept her because I was told they work with severe cases of dog aggression. I wouldn't really describe the event as aggression, it was more dominance.

But yes I realise that can quickly lead to aggression if the situation isn't diffused.

Sunshine Coast

You poor bugger, I can't believe the owner of the puppy was accusing you, when your dogs were on their leashes. By the sounds of it, they are still quite obedient and listen to you. If anything, she should be apologising to you. We always ask if Oskar can approach someone else's dog and if he runs up to someone, we apologise on his behalf.....personally if your dog did that to Oskar, I wouldn't have minded.

In every state, dogs are required to be under effective control and they are not allowed to rush up to and harrass any other dogs.

So the puppy and their owners are in the wrong and you could report them for harrassing you and your dog.

I would have stood between my dog and the rushing dog to block the puppy out the way. This minimizes chance of everything going to hell.

I've got the council ranger's number in my phone, tho sometimes when people are abusing you, it's better to call the police. It also helps if you can grab puppy or SWF and get the number off their tag. I carry a notebook so I can write down the number cos I have crap memory. Sometimes a good description of dog is enough.

The other thing I've heard can work is to point your phone at charging dog and yell that you're videoing for evidence. And you're going to report their dog for harrassment.

Quoting the actual law and waving a camera usually gets the guilty party to leave at speed. Although sometimes they can get aggressive instead. I tend to be more furtive with the camera than open - being a relatively small female with a grovel dog (not a killer attack fierce dog). sigh.

PS if they don't have a tag - that's an offence that is really easy for council to enforce.

Thumbs down

I had a long talk about it with a couple people at training. They put me at ease a bit, they've. known my dog for a long time, she's made a lot of improvements lately. Even sat nicely for a lady to pat her today, she normally jumps up. I was advised to hang in there and not get fustrated.

I wasn't aware I could report them for harassment but I will keep that in mind. I also will avoid that park.

I was reminded with a few examples of top obedience dogs who can react when a strange dog approaches them. That did put my mind at ease a bit. My staffy didn't pull to get at the pup she was standing right beside me and so was my colliex who I also won't let off lead but that's. because I learnt from past mistakes. It's also to protect him from approaching a dog who might not appreciate a snappy pup.

There's a quieter dog park about 15 minutes down the road I'll use from now on sounds like the local one is an accident waiting to happen. Too many people are using it at once, I cringe when I see people take kids in prams in with unfamiliar dogs. I walk out pretty quick, I've seen one dog attack and that was traumatic enough. Plus I don't appreciate that people have labelled my dog when their dogs don't know basic commands.

Cheers for the support. As a mentioned earlier I'll percevere with training. She's a special girl, very intelligent

Southern NSW

I have never understood why people think it is their dogs right to come up to dogs on lead. And how people expect dogs to be friendly when they are accosted by these rude dogs. You are in the right when your dog is on lead.
    Sorry it has taken the fun out of your walks.
    I only let mine off lead with dogs I know and in areas where there are no other dogs. My dogs are social, but one of mine does definitely not like youngsters jumping on her and might be a little snappy. And personally I think if a dog, puppy or older, jumps at or on her, she is right in doing so. She will never ( so far and hopefully) bite or fight. this does not make her an aggressive dog, as she is a very lovely dog with polite dogs.
    So just keep up with your dogs training. And hopefully you won't meet meet too many rude dogs or people
    Pets are forever

I agree. I always call my dog off if she walks towards a dog on lead. It is everyone's right to walk their dog on a lead in an off lead area and I respect their reasons to do so. I have had a couple of occasions when my dog bolted and did go and greet a dog on lead and I went to grab her and apologised and put my dog on the lead too to prevent a repeat. If a dog on the leash passes closeby, I will make my dog heel or leash her until they've passed. If my dog ever gets snapped at by a dog on a lead, I would totally consider that my fault.

It sounds like you are doing very well with the training and going about it in a very responsible way. But those dog parks are known to be full of people who think it's ok to let their dogs run riot. I've heard some shocking stories about local dog parks. Changing where you walk your dogs sounds like a good idea.

And don't despair at the seemingly slow progress with your dog. Some dogs are just very determined to do things their way. You might find that she will improve in leaps and bounds as she matures. It took me years to train my old dog but by the time she was a few years old, she was the most obedient dog for miles around and I was so glad I persisted.

I know this is only one side of the story and I have no reason to say it isn't true.
    Cause I can see that you have done all you can to not have a dog that is aggressive.
    To that I will say well done.
    To the owner who has let their dog play without having their full control. I think that you should be the ones reported and not you.
    What your dog was doing to me is letting this pup know its place.
    From what you have said your dog could well have made mince meat of this pup, and they want to blame you. Tell them to take you to court and then you sue them for defimation.
    Why people are so ready to blame others for their short comings is beyond me.
    Hold your head up you are in the right fully. Tell them to take their dog to obedience so they know how to handle a dog.

I have to add that our last Heeler Lacey was a lot like that to.
    She hated other dogs in her face and she would snap at them right away.
    I was always watchful of her. But at obedience she was real good and done all things required of her.
    A few times on our walks we would have stupid people who let their dogs run free.
    And these dogs would come up to us. I tell these half wits to call theor dogs away.
    To get this responce all the time. Oh its okay my dogs don't bite.
    My responce was, well mine will.
    They never learn, I think people have their dogs like this that all dogs are wanting to play.
    Last edited by Rid****; 10-12-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Adding

Naturally there are always two sides to an argument. Sadly not everyone is aware of their rights and responsibilities and think it's their given right to allow their dogs free range without consequence.
    The lady saw my dog pin down the other and growl, she took it as a sign of aggression. She couldn't control her dog which kept running up to ours. That's why she was frightened her's might be 'attacked'.

I rang council today and explained the situation. I was within my rights to walk my dogs at a safe distance. I had both dogs on lead, according to the law I did what was reasonable to control my dogs and cannot be liable for negligence.
    The small fluffy dogs owner didn't even have a lead which is already a violation.

I'll still use that park if there is noone else in it, but I want to be sure if I ever do cross paths with the small fluffy dog's owner I leave the park on my terms not hers.

Quote from Campbelltown City Council's dog park rules:
    "The person in charge of a dog shall ensure that the dog is prevented from rushing at, attacking, biting, harassing or chasing any person or animal."
    How many times have I seen that rule broken!!!

This one may also be of use because it drives me nuts the amount of staffy 'experts' that think it's OK to come up and pat my dogs without asking:
    "Do not approach an unfamiliar dog unless authorised to do so by the person in charge of that dog."

That's not to say I won't continue training my dogs, paricularly Sui who by nature is a bit over the top. But I'm much clearer on the rules now so that's definately a big plus.

Thread Information