Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter to the Editor - Death of an Abandoned Dog **Warning Very Sad**

Default Letter to the Editor - Death of an Abandoned Dog **Warning Very Sad**

I am still speechless. It is stories like this that remind me of why I prefer the company of my dogs to most people.

Please note this is very sad, tissues are required.

TO THE driver of the sedan: I thought you might be interested to know the outcome of your actions at 7pm last Sunday.

Needless to say, while you thought what you were doing affected only you and your dog, the after-effects continue to reverberate in waves of sadness, grief and shock for many of us.

My learner-driver daughter saw you push your dog from your car, pulled over on the side of Eumundi-Noosa Road. You probably thought no one would notice. I only wish I had thought to notice more and take down your licence details.

But we all saw you pull out in front of us without indicating and leave your bewildered, frightened dog in the half light in an unfamiliar place.

It was at my 17-year-old daughter's request that we turned around a moment later, to see if we could help your dog, to keep him safe, to let him know not all humans are as cold and heartless as you had just shown yourself to be.

We pulled to the side of the road near your frantic pet.

My husband, daughter and I all got out of the car, torch in hand, calling to your terrified, beautiful dog as it weaved and ran in the direction that your tail lights had taken. A dog's love is as unconditional as it is sometimes misplaced, it seems.

My daughter and husband were right there when your dog ran in front of a car, driven by a young man.

He became another unwilling victim of your dreadful act.

My animal-loving daughter's heart broke as she heard two bangs and a whimper - the sounds of your dog's death.

She will never forget that and I know that a part of her will never be the same.

Are you starting to see the ripple effect now?

Can you see that your decision to dump a living creature on the side of the road hurt more than just him?

I can't pretend to know what would make a person do something so cruel as to dump a pet.

Maybe your dog was too demanding or too much responsibility. Maybe you just got sick of him.

But to leave him alone in the dark, in a strange place where cars fly by at 80km/h, is inhuman, illogical and callous. It could only have ended in tears.

We didn't know your healthy-looking, beautiful dog. But we are traumatised at his loss. My daughter and I have cried buckets for this creature and the way he died.

I witnessed the five minutes he lived after you drove away. I saw him running, scared. I arrived as he lay dying on the roadside and I was with him, patting him, as he died.

That he did not die alone is small consolation. At the end, at least he knew the love of a caring human's touch.

My husband's hands were covered in your beautiful dog's blood as he carried him off the road so that at least he would not suffer the indignity of being hit by more cars and so more drivers would not be traumatised by running over his corpse.

The young man whose car hit your dog was shattered. Unlike you, he had no choice in the situation in which he was placed. He said he had two border collies at home and his emotional distress at taking a life so similar to his beloved pets was palpable.

Another young driver pulled over to see if he could help. He was with your dog, too, when he breathed his last. He was kind to him, there in the dark. He was supportive and tender.

The kindness of these two men is a silent reminder that for every person like you, there are more like them.

Are you getting it? Do you see how much trauma dumping your sentient, human-centred possession caused?

Humans have an extraordinary relationship with dogs - closer than with any other animal. But while we "own" them, they are not like other things we own.

The rule is that they must be loved. They must be cared for. You can't just throw them out, like a fast food wrapper from your car window. You broke that rule and we all paid.

If you really had to dispose of your pet, you could have waited until the morning, when the RSPCA shelter just up the road was open. At least they could have had the chance to try to find him a new home. At least they could have offered him some care and affection. At least he might have had a chance to live.

Maybe you did not deserve to have such a beautiful dog in the first place, but he certainly did not deserve what you did to him.

I have to wonder which one is more of an animal.
    Death of an abandoned dog | Courier Mail

K & P Why do you do this to me women!! Ahh tears, goosbumps, ahhhh!!

Southern NSW

awww sh... what an A.H. Now I feel disgusted and so sad for this dog.

Why are people like this. no-one has to get a dog, why get one? And as was said why not take it to a shelter or even a pound......
    Pets are forever

Sowwy BL My facebook friends are always cursing me for sharing these stories too, so I try to even it out and share lots of good stories.

I just felt like this needed to be shared, the dog deserves to be remembered and I hope it discourages others from doing the same thing.

I know what you mean Newf, I am still finding words to describe this hard.

In all honesty, this may not have been that guys dog, could have been someone elses, someone he didn't like...

I don't understand the mentality of people who dump animals, very sad.
    RIP dog. The person who dumped him out the side of the road is a cretin.
    If you find yourself going through hell; Don't stay. Just keep on going.

Southern NSW

That would be even worse..that would mean there is some poor family out there missing their dog

We live in a country lane not too far from a few towns/villages. And we get some dogs and cats dumped here too.

One we actually got the rego and he was charged by the RSPCA, fined $200.00 and poor kids actually loved their pup, but Dad had enough

We found that pup a good home and he is still someone's joy.

I suppose they drop them near farms on purpose........Still I have no time for people who do this
    Pets are forever

SE QLD

Some people are simply pathetic low life wastes of oxygen. What ever this guys situation was, this was not the right thing to do. He will probably never read that, but it would be nice if he did so he can see what he has done. Breaks my heart that some people have such a low regard for life, any life be it an animal or person. :'(

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Yes I know not a nice thought that someone's loved pet may have been taken away and they don't know what happened to it (this actually happened to my sister, that was 12 months ago, poor thing still misses Nara)

I also have no time or respect for people who do this.

Everytime I hear a story like this I wonder on the meaning of the word "humane"....of all the living creatures on this planet we are the least humane, but yet that word comes from the name of our species.

There was so many more avenues this gutless I wont say could have gone down.
    But no he was so brave to do this to a dog which has no road sese at all.
    This is when I am glad not to be a policeman cause if I got hold of him I do think he might have been looking like his just departed dog but still would be breathing.
    I hate people like this and there is no excuse to it.
    This should be in the papers so people who know this dope can report him.
    Lets try to get some sort of thing good to happen out of this sad moment.

GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Thread Information