Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poodle Was Mauled in at an Off Leash Beach

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    cabn we not turn this into a bully vs the world argument....... jsut take it for what it is, a dog had a fight with another dog.......
    Yep, I agree... this "pro bull breed" verses "anti bull breed" banter is getting a wee bit old now *cough* Clubsprint *cough*...

I'm just going to stick to pro anti breed-ism , and possibly start to take the piss out of those that choose to discriminate against certain breeds due to the actions of a select few....

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    Maybe you should read the context this statement was written in, I understood the meaning.
    Sorry girls you cannot be serious in your discussion on this.
    If this had been a Neapolitan mastiff I would have been devastated and wanted the owner to hang around and face authorities, maybe preventing a repeat. Certainly wouldn't have gone the victim and blamed them
    Peter, I'm not being serious. I am just dishing back what he dishes out... immature I know, but who cares.....

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Two dogs bleeding (and taken to their vet) and my dog lunged at and teeth on my arm - that doesn't make the news and this does?

But we don't know what breed did the attack - at least they didn't say "pitbull" which is how one of the junior parents at my local school describes SBT (way too short to be a pitbull).

And we don't know if the poodle required vet treatment. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    You guys are incredible, seems logical that the dog was a staffordshire terrier as they described it, do you have proof otherwise?
    You go on to defend it as a scrap and it's ok the poodle wasn't hurt so it's all good. Well the poodle owner didn't take thier kids and dog to the park to experience a scrap or be held in water at least it didn't mention that either in the article .
    Kiera you even lay some of the blame on the poodle for eyeballing it???
    good luck convincing people you have an open mind
    I would like to hear the other side of the story before making judgement. I know that plenty of people let their dogs harrass other dogs at the park. I would guesstimate that every 2 or 3 days, i'm forced to hold my dog while some other dog(most of the time little yappy dogs)owner gets control of their dog again. I know what the story says i.e suggests it was a completely unprovoked attack and if that is really the case then sure, that story is fair. But if that little dog provoked the staffy, well a little telling off was possibly in order. The fact that the owner had to pull his staffy off is not good, if little dog had submitted the staffy should have stopped, but again the story is all from one side and who knows how truthful.

I also understand what K & P is saying about it being a scrap as opposed to a mauling. Again though, whether or not the staffy was at fault really comes down to how it happened and we'll probably never know both sides of the story.

Moreton Bay Regional Council to review policy on whether to ban pit bull terriers following newspaper campaign | News, events and sport for Pine Rivers and Moreton Bay | Courier Mail

In an online poll run by the Redcliffe & Bayside Herald over the last two weeks, the community has voted overwhelmingly in favour of banning dangerous dog breeds.
    We asked, "Should fighting-dog breeds be banned?" Of more than 1500 votes, almost 75% have said "Yes".

Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    I would like to hear the other side of the story before making judgement. I know that plenty of people let their dogs harrass other dogs at the park. I would guesstimate that every 2 or 3 days, i'm forced to hold my dog while some other dog(most of the time little yappy dogs)owner gets control of their dog again. I know what the story says i.e suggests it was a completely unprovoked attack and if that is really the case then sure, that story is fair. But if that little dog provoked the staffy, well a little telling off was possibly in order. The fact that the owner had to pull his staffy off is not good, if little dog had submitted the staffy should have stopped, but again the story is all from one side and who knows how truthful.

I also understand what K & P is saying about it being a scrap as opposed to a mauling. Again though, whether or not the staffy was at fault really comes down to how it happened and we'll probably never know both sides of the story.
    No, they do say that in the story. The poodle was not in the off-leash area, the other dog came running at it from the off-lead area. So the other owner definitely was at fault here, I'd say. And his reaction was not acceptable from what they describe either.
    1. He should have had control over his dog and not let it run that far away from him. Sounds like it took him ages before he regained control over his dog and he could only do so by carrying it off. That is definitely not "controlling with voice"!
    2. they don't say if the poodle was off or on the lead. If your dog is off leash, you should not let it go up to a dog on leash. That is my rule anyway.
    3. His dog ended up being off the leash in the on leash area. Though if the poodle was off the leash there as well, they were both at fault in that regard.
    4. If your dog displays anti-social behaviour towards another dog - whether or not there was blood - you should at least apologise and offer help if needed. If you know there is a risk that this would happen, you should keep your dog away from other dogs, or at least monitor them from very closeby so you can interfer immediately if things start to get too heated.

Having said all that, I think part of understanding dogs is that not every altercation between dogs is going to result in trauma. Most dogs easily recover from a confrontation in which no bites occur and that break up easily. My old female dogs used to tell male dogs trying to mount her off in no uncertain terms for example. And it was usually way more effective than any human trying to tell the poor male that my dog was not interested.

I do think that the article was quite sensationalist and it must have been a pretty slow news day for it to make the paper.

I don't really get however why it was necessary to question that it was a staffy. I don't think it matters what breed it was, any breed can be anti-social towards other dogs.
    Last edited by Beloz; 09-22-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Hi Beloz,

my point was that we only have the owner of the poodles version of events. The other owner or better still and independant witnesses version would be valuable.

simlar thing happened to me last night, took jonah to the dog park to try and do some recall trainign with him, have him on a 15m rope...... as im training him 2 dogs (unsure of breed so i will call them pitbulls *JOKE*) came up to him, owner was on the other side of the park... one of them had a sniff and left while the other one mouthed jonah then it got a bit out of hand when there was growling and the other dog picked jonah up by the back of his neck...... it was probably all in good fun for the dogs, jonah seemed fine, but it pissed me off that the owner did nothing about it.... had it gone further i would have no hesitation in kicking the dog and the owner with size 12 steel caps....... basically, if you cant control your dog, regardless of breed, dont let it off the lead...... even in an off lead area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I love 2 things in this world. Spandex and reyzor... not necessarily in that order.

It is probable that it was a scrap. All noise, no mess. There is no mention of vet treatment, no mention of injuries to either dog so it is fair to assume (for those of us with real life experience with dogs of any breed) that it was a mere scrap. Quite standard with any dog/s, yes unfair, but by making a huge deal about a scrap you make it worse for the dog.

No-one was blaming the victim. This kind of news article is designed to do exactly what it is doing here. Cause arguements, get higher ratings.

Meaning of Maul:
    1. to handle clumsily; paw
    2. to batter or lacerate

So in this case the actual meaning of Mauling is correct as the dog was handled clumsily, POSSIBLY battered. The crappy part is MOST people don't know this and take mauling to be basically shredding something.

Anyway, settle petals. We don't have the FULL story and probably never will. While it's all well and good offering up these theories, it is just a waste of our time at the end of the day. So shall we grow up and move on??

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    cabn we not turn this into a bully vs the world argument....... jsut take it for what it is, a dog had a fight with another dog.......
    This pretty much is what I got out of it. The owners of the poodle have never seen a scrap before there dog got into one and it was scary, I know my kids freaked out the first time they seen Ruby have one.

My oppinion, the staffy might have been the aggressor maybe the poodle. It was a dog fight, they happen!!
    Rubylisious

Thread Information