Thread: Sunken Girl Bits-first Vet Check

Default Sunken Girl Bits-first Vet Check

I was told yesterday that my 12 week old labrador puppy has a 'innie' and hence the reason she keeps licking to keep clean. Also got told that this is a birth defect and may or maynot self correct.
    I am so disappointed with the breeder (and also their vet) who conveniently overlooked the issue (or did not inform us?). I am quite concerned about the sequelae associated with it. I was hoping to spay her just prior to coming into season but for this condition it appears that she will need to be spayed after the first heat (thus risking development of mammary tissue and cancers related). In addition is the constant risk of urinary tract infections and possible future incontinence.
    Has anybody faced this situation?
    Looking forward to some feedback.

That is so sad.
    I would say you have phone the breeder to let her know just how thank full you was to get your pup like this and just how over joyed you were with finding all this out.
    Seriously ring them up and never take you dog to that vet and I think this is where a name and shame could come in handy.
    Though I know we couldn't do it due to laws and thing but if only.

(thus risking development of mammary tissue and cancers related). In addition is the constant risk of urinary tract infections and possible future incontinence.

This part does not sound right to me at all check further into this.
    Quite frankly, most of it sounds like Bullshit.

Yes you maybe ought to have been told of the fault, but so many side effects I doubt it.

Get another opinion before you go too far with this

Who told you it was an issue; another dog enthusiast or a Vet?

I am also confused about the need to allow her to have her first heat? Sorry, I am not knowledgeable on the condition - can you explain what makes this neccessary?
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Just updating
    I spoke to the breeder's vet seeking advise based on what I was told.
    This vet mentioned that its more like underdeveloped genitals which will grow further as the hormones kick in closer to oestrus (heat) and thus we should time spaying accordingly. Besides, she is a lab puppy with heaps of loose skin that she will grow into. I now realise that the second vet's more experienced with labs unlike the original one who was very young.

If you think it is a breeding fault (or even if you don't), get your favourite vet to send the dog's info into the LIDA database. This will make it easier to track and prevent problems in the future.

LIDA Dogs - LIDA Dogs - Faculty of Veterinary Science - The University of Sydney

Desexing prevents a lot of problems with sexual health in a dog, but desexing early may alter bone development so in the bigger dogs it can be better to leave it later especially if you want to do dog sports or anything that puts extra stress on the dog's skeleton.

It is possible to put your dog on the doggy pill - to avoid the mess of a heat, but I don't know if this causes similar problems to early desexing.

To reduce the sexual health problems, it can be better to desex before the first heat.
    Desexing - sterilisation, castration, spey, spay, fix - info for pet owners | Vetwest Animal Hospitals
    Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete
    Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls.
    there's a pdf at and rspca on the subject but I hate linking pdfs ifthe info is somewhere else.

My dog was desexed at 8 weeks, and she has longer legs and a narrower skull than traditional cattle dogs. Tho she's not pedigree so we don't know what else is in the mix to make her that way. And it looks like she's going to be mistaken for a puppy based on her grovelly behaviour for her entire life by dogs and people.

So far - she seems fine as far as general health goes. No problems doing agility or running around like a looney.

Thread Information