Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria is Completly ****ed Up!

I came a across a US group that rehabilitates dogs that were used in dogfights, mainly pitbulls. From memory, they claimed their success rate was somewhere around the 70-80%. Lots of those dogs were rehabilitated to the point where they could be trusted around other dogs, children and other pets and were rehomed in 'normal' families. A minority didn't quite get to that stage so would've required experience handlers, but were no longer regarded as dangerous dogs.

What a great job they do. And you too, newfsie.

A friend of mine is currently fostering a dog for the RSPCA while he recovers from an ear operation. Apparently this dog is so dog aggressive and such an extreme fence jumper, that she is only allowed to walk him in the backyard on a lead. I am desperate to find out what the RSPCA's plan is with the dog after this. He'd been at their kennel for about 18 months before they found a foster carer and could go ahead with the operation, and they apparently did not have much of an opportunity to try to rehabilitate him. So what will they do when he is recovered? A dog like that could only be rehomed with someone who is very experienced and totally committed to rehabilitating him and people like that must be as rare as hen's teeth. (He's not a pitbull. My guess is he is a staffy x hound of some sort.)

Quote Originally Posted by puggerup View Post
    in a new thread
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Keira (I think it was) posted it yesterday in general.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Yes I Posted it in general and I believe Choppa later posted it in BSL.

I just love your dedication to what you are doing in this case.
    You are a heap of a better person than me.
    And I think if you can do it and you are the proof that you can do it.
    Well then this is a great thing you are doing for these particular dogs.

I think people should have a license to own a PB. Like with reptiles.

I think people should have a license to own a PB. Like with reptiles.
    Any breed of dog can bite & kill. ANY OF THEM.

Should be license to own any dog.

I'm amazed that you'd buy into the media hype pugger...

Given the number of happy, healthy dogs that there are, I would rather see time and effort go into fostering those, then if there's room the ones who have a bite history. Fair enough when it's things like what Newfsie does (breed specific & very limited), but trying to save everything makes my mind boggle....

No, PB's are bred as fighting dogs and that is because of their temperament. Not all breeds share the same type of traits.
    When I got a Cavalier, I knew what "type" of personality she would have.
    There are many bogans who will get a PB for the tough guy factor. The "don't mess with me or the dog will kill you" type attitudes. They don't bother containing their untrained menaces or they just can't control them because they have no idea how to control a large breed dog. Why is it that 90% of the time, it is a PB "type" mixed bred or full breed that makes the news? Do you think the general population are so stupid that they will get a labrador mixed up with an AMstaff or PB? The general public aren't that stupid.
    A PB in the right hands, bred properly and well contained, I have no issue with. That goes for any dog.. especially a large breed dog with the type of "traits" a PB has.
    I know many of you will blame the deed and not the breed and are fighting a great cause, but seriously, get your heads out of the sand. They are a problem breed because the wrong people have them and/or breed them.

Gippsland, Victoria

But... Pugger... You could say the same for Dobies- bred to be human aggressive originally. Or multiple other breeds. How about the Irish Wolfhound? Bred to kill wolves, but also to drag soldiers from their horses in battle and break said soldier's neck!

There are breeds preferred by idiots to enhance their tough guy image.
    There are breeds poorly bred by idiots (Dobermann temperament in Australia is shamefully bad)
    There are breeds exploited by idiots

I just think idiots shouldn't have dogs/ pets. Period.
    And part of the answer has to be to identify these idiots before they get their hands on a dog. Any dog.

I don't trust a Doberman in many peoples hands either.
    I met a moron skin head KKK member who had 2 Dobes and they attacked his wife, while he was beating her. She copped it from him and the dogs all at once. He thought they were marvelous for it
    A pug wouldn't have done that

Thread Information