Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Dog to Pound Right/wrong?

Inner West Sydney

Default Taking Dog to Pound Right/wrong?

As I was driving to go to a pet store to look at dog food ingredients, I noticed a dog pacing down the road. I made a U-turn and parked my car close to where the dog was. Turns out it was a brindled staffy (x?) puppy. I left my dog in the car (with windows down) while I looked at the pup for a name tag. Indeed, there was a name tag so I called both numbers that was on it. One didn't go through and the other had a man pick up.

He told me his address and just told me to "open the gate and drop him in there. He wanders around a lot by himself when we're not home so he knows his way home anyway." I didn't want to leave my dog in the car unattended so I took my dog with me and closed the windows and locked the car. So I did what he said, but the moment I walked away with my dog, his pup just jumped over the fence and started following me. So I popped him back in his yard.

And again, he jumped out and followed me to my car. I did this about 4 times then I decided I'll just let him be. I opened the passenger seat door to let my dog in, but the pup just jumped straight in and sat onto the drivers seat! I thought.. I'll get him out of my car later, so I buckled up Milo first. Then when I went to open the drivers door to pick up the pup, he crawled his way onto the back seat before I could get him! I finally managed to get him out of my car and I put him on the pathway. I got in the car and he jumped up on my car to look at Milo and I (luckily he didn't make any scratches on my car...). I waited for him to back off and he just sat on the grass looking at me. I drove off, and went to the pet store.

I did what I wanted at the petstore then asked for the workers there to give me the ranger's number. I was worried that the dog may get run over, despite the owner telling me to "just leave him". I drove back to where I found the pup, with no surprise, it was wandering the street again. So I got my spare leash in the car, and leashed the pup on his oh so very tight collar! I could barely fit one finger in there and the poor guy was choking often. Called the council, they refused to pick the dog up as it is a Saturday and no one works, so they told me to take him to the RSPCA.

I did so, but thought I would be stuck with taking the pup back home where he'll be secured as I was under the impression that RSPCA only takes him injured stray animals. Luckily, I wasn't far from the Sydney RSPCA. They scanned his microchip and found out that he was adopted out of RSPCA only a month ago. He was in the RSPCA beforehand for being a stray animal.

I came home, told me parents of what I did proudly. Instead of getting a "well done", I got a "don't do that ever again". My dad explained that though I did the "right thing" in the dogs best interest, the owner probably won't be happy with a possible fine. I did call them with my mobile phone to their mobile phone, and if they were indeed unhappy with what I've done, they have that option of verbally abusing me over the phone. My dad said, in the past, if you ever took a stray to the pound, you would be thanked and the owner would be grateful. These days, people get angry easily, and instead of getting thanked, you'll be told to mind your own business. He said, given what the puppy owner has said about just leaving the dog, it shows that he doesn't care much about the dogs safety. So why would he be thankful for receiving a fine for the dog?

My dad told me to never do it again as I may be putting myself in danger. If a dog is often out and about, the dog owner would most likely only keep dogs for fun and not care. They'll just hate me for troubling them to get their dog back. My dad said I'm just causing trouble. But I honestly thought I was doing the right thing.

Given that I was told to just leave the dog by the owner, but instead I took it to the RSPCA in fear for the pups safety, was I in the wrong or right?

you were iin the right! if he does get a fine (though not everyone does depending on the council your in) hopefully the fine will encourage him to keep his dog in the backyard rather than risking the chance of getting another fine

and hey if he rings abusing just say I didn't take it to the pound I did what you said, it must have been someone else.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

You did this for the dog, not for the owner! Your judgement was that the pup was in danger - regardless of what the owners thought - and you acted in its best interest. If the owners get fined, it's their own fault for not making sure their backyard is secure. If this would've been the first time it happened, ok, but they were obviously aware of the problem and didn't see it as an issue that a pup would be taking itself for walks. That is irresponsible.

Mind you, I have let wandering dogs be in our neighbourhood. But only because there aren't any busy roads here and they did seem to know where they were going. And none of them were pups!

If you expect trouble from the owners, just deny that you had anything to do with the dog ending up at the RSPCA. You can just say that you did put the dog in their backyard as instructed, which is true. And just don't mention the rest of the story. That would be my strategy. They are not your problem.

I once was accused of causing this little boy's dog being taken to the pound - and apparently the family never got him back. But it was me who kept bringing the dog back home and as soon as I turned my back he'd be following me again. I even pleaded with them to fix their fence and warned them that the dog would end up at the pound. But I did not call the ranger, someone else did and I could understand why. This 7-8yo aboriginal boy muttered "murderer" every time I passed him for months! Don't know if I ever convinced him that it wasn't me. Nor would he ever understand that it was his family's fault for not containing the dog.

Inner West Sydney

Here's the little guy:

He was absolutely adorable and quite obedient. He sat looking up at me like he was expeting a treat!

Beloz, that's quite sad... that kid not understanding why but instead put the blame on you.

That's what my dad said would happen actually. He said that the owner would not think much of it but put the blame on me for putting them through trouble. I am a very bad liar, so I do hope I manage to say it wasn't me who put him in the RSPCA!

I think you did the right thing, Kaer.

What if the dog was hit by a car or worse - someone injured themselves trying to avoid the dog?

The owner is clearly too stupid to own a dog and hopefully the RSPCA has a chance of finding the dog a better home - while it's still a puppy, with more strict requirements on securing the dog at home.

Bundaberg QLD

I think you did the right thing.

I was put in a similar situation when, while fishing i witnessed a young bloke paddle a kayak out into a large river system. He knew the Staffy had followed him as it swam behind but he kept paddling further and further out egging the dog on to follow him. The current was strong and when he got about 100m away from his house he quickly turned around and paddled as fast as he could away from the dog who by now was obviously struggling to keep its head above water. The bloke was gone in no time but i watched as the dog battled to swim. He was clearly going to drown. I took of my shirt and swam out to the struggling dog and bought him back to shore. I was so angry at that bloke i could have throttled him.

I took the dog home and dried him of and rang the council and quoted his rego tag number and the lady gave me the owners adress. I drove him home but it was the river front home the bloke had paddled from. There was no way i was going to give him another chance to hurt this little staffy so i took him to the RSPCA and told them the whole story. They took him in and promised to sort out the bloke. I never heard anything from them. I hope he found a good new home. I never felt bad about what i did, and Kaer i dont think you should either.

Northern NSW

Hey Kaer.

Unfortunately the owners have made their problem yours.

And that's only because you give a dam and they don't.

I would not have left the dog at property without speaking to the owner though. But hey, you did as requested I guess.

There are state and local gov auth processes in place in dealing with strays found by the public. It's the role of pounds and shelters, to impound, look after the dogs welfare and help relocate, that's a part of their role and why they exist.

Should you find another stray and can't contact owner and then take it to a shelter or contact a ranger, remember your details should remain private from the owner.

Top marks for doing what you did.
    Last edited by Chipps; 08-28-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
    ... Jade ...

Aha yeah me too! wee wee or pee pee and poo poo's or poopie

What you done is what most of us would do.
    And as it was said you had the dogs interests in heart and not that of the owners.
    Well done for doing what you did.

I whant to do the same about that foal with the brorken leg to day i whant pass and saw the owner so i ask him were the foal with the bronken leg was and he said oh that one i put it down me self. I did not whant to pay to the vet to kill it os i shot the bludy thing and bridy it he said
    i whised i called the rscpa that poor foal i feel sorry about it
    so i told him that foal dint have to be killed I saw it that day and i was going to call the rscpa you ass hole and rode off before he can say a word to me
    If you are reading this then you're doing just fine as to
    I'm not going to tell ya I lost the ' , . ? ! " Keys to my head
    No grammar no problem I don't know how to fly it any way Bye

I had to take 8 pups to the pound oneday.
    Before anyone gets up in the air about this they were not my pups.
    They belonged to my neighbour who at this time was working in W.A.
    His daughter who was living with him had move to Adelaide as had his son.
    These pups had no human interaction what so ever.
    And the Mum was getting gragged down by these pups hanging of her.
    I rang the neighbour and he gave me permission to remove them.

I got my son to help and we had to catch each pup as not one would come to us at all.
    They were finding places to hide from us and some put themselves into positions where we had to use our strength to get them out.
    One by one we caught them.

I felt like the heel and I should not have been in this position.
    I done it for 2 reason one was the neightbour and the other was for the mum of the pups.
    I would have kept one but we have a 2 dog law here.
    So the pups were taken to the pound where Ihad no idea what ever happened to them.

It turned out that if I had held off for a week I could of had one as our little Westie had to be put to sleep.
    There was noway to know about that.
    But I felt bad and the Mum now felt good. She was a beautiful Lab cross with a great temperment to boot. Once she knew you, you and her were friends for life.
    I will never forget her.

Thread Information