Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Cat..?

I really hope that you will be keeping the cat indoors at night too. For his/her safety as much as anything else.

My cat used to belong to my next door neighbours until they abandoned him. He was outside all the time until I started keeping him inside my home at night. I got sick of taking him to the vets - because I knew they wouldn't - to have him patched up after fights with possums and other cats. He has had near misses with cars and had another neighbour kick at him repeatedly. Please keep the cat safe!

The comment you made about Buckley would worry me. In saying that, your own can be different to other peoples animals. Batty will play with, wrestle with & chase and be chased by Bobby but it is all on Bobby's terms. He starts the games and finishes them and while Batty will play he doesn't instigate the games. That rule has been very well reinforced since Batty was 9 weeks old though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AngelanBatty; 08-25-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added pic...

Quote Originally Posted by tiff-689 View Post
    Unsure whether we should wait until they are older or do it whilst they are both still young?
    Now that bit hurt......

Anyhooooo

Very different animals with different needs and tolerances...

I'd suggest a visit to your local pound/shelter with the dogs in tow.......Hopefully you will find a cat or kitten that's cruisey around your dogs.......Also a good way to see how your pair respond......If they go feral, then forget the idea....

As for Mr Bunny......My god, poor old thumpa must cack his dacks when they are about.

We had 4 dogs, 3 cats. 2 rabbits and 12 free range chooks when the kids were younger...

Try as we did, it never worked..

Dogs are dogs, they like to chase and chew on fluffy or feathered objects that run...

The cats were fine, a few hisses and scratched noses seemed to sort themselves nicely.

Good luck
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Chippo/Dogsx4blackbackground.jpg
    ... Jade ...

Aha yeah me too! wee wee or pee pee and poo poo's or poopie

Edit: You meant dogs getting older not yourselves
    ... Jade ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chipps View Post
    Now that bit hurt......

As for Mr Bunny......My god, poor old thumpa must cack his dacks when they are about.
    ?what hurt?

Quite the opposite with the rabbit actually. She has a lot of personality and seems to intentionally stir the dogs up. Many times she has woken them up by sniffing around at their faces or bouncing over their beds. I've caught Abbie groom and lick the rabbit whilst it happily layed on the rug once before.

But i still watch them all like a hawk..i have to anyway as the rabbit loves to eat the coffee table. I do think it would be possible to teach Buckley to be nice to the cat (as i did with the rabbit) but a cat is a little more work and harder to contain.

All's good Tiff, I was trying to be funny thinking you were a young couple that's all.....

I am a dinosaur

But in all honesty, my ideas are still genuine re seeking a cat or two.
    ... Jade ...

?what hurt?

Quite the opposite with the rabbit actually. She has a lot of personality and seems to intentionally stir the dogs up. Many times she has woken them up by sniffing around at their faces or bouncing over their beds. I've caught Abbie groom and lick the rabbit whilst it happily layed on the rug once before.

But i still watch them all like a hawk..i have to anyway as the rabbit loves to eat the coffee table. I do think it would be possible to teach Buckley to be nice to the cat (as i did with the rabbit) but a cat is a little more work and harder to contain.
    Cat's aren't hard to contain at all. They are as difficult as dogs.... Just depends on whether you can be more stubborn than the cat

Quote Originally Posted by Chipps View Post
    All's good Tiff, I was trying to be funny thinking you were a young couple that's all.....

I am a dinosaur

But in all honesty, my ideas are still genuine re seeking a cat or two.
    Haha i see now!
    good suggestion with the pound. i volunteer at an animal shelter so it might be worth taking my pups down one day.

AngelanBatty - I just meant that a cat would be more work and (all important money) than a rabbit. Atleast with the rabbit, when things get a bit too tense, i can put her away to her hutch.

I have had cats and dogs together for many years, it all depends on the cat and dog..the chemistry.

Up until these dogs there has been no problem..ever.

They were indifferent to one cat (RIP)
    Loathed another that they would kill on sight if they could and they adore the other one.

No one can ever predict how things would go.

By all means go ahead, maybe build a cat run so it can be outside safely and have a refuge if things do not go as planned and hoped for.

In your shoes I would be planning for the worst (total separation doable if it does not work out...all cuddled up together if it does and hoping for the best)

I now have my remaining 2 cats separated from my 4 dogs permanently as Jessie, who has just returned here is a dedicated cat killer with 2 known ferrals to her name.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Haha i see now!
    good suggestion with the pound. i volunteer at an animal shelter so it might be worth taking my pups down one day.

AngelanBatty - I just meant that a cat would be more work and (all important money) than a rabbit. Atleast with the rabbit, when things get a bit too tense, i can put her away to her hutch.
    If you have a spare bedroom you could always set up a cat escape?

Baby gate across the door, safe place for cat to sleep at night etc & easy place to escape to if the dogs get to be too much??

Having recently added a 4 week old orphaned kitten to a 4-dog TERRIER household, I can tell you it's no walk in the park. Here we have one dog who is extremely prey-driven (Mischa), one who is terrified of cats (Carl) and two who we weren't sure how they'd react. It took weeks before Mischa could even be around the kitten supervised, as he was too small and she was too interested. However, after some careful desensitisation (not easy with an 8yo dog!!!), she is totally fine around him now.

Jag was initially very interested and then he lost interest when he discovered cats don't do much apart from eat, sleep and have sporadic outbursts of energy. Cleo didn't really notice the kitten until he got bigger, and now it's just indifference.

Carl took to the kitten in the most surprising way: he mothers him! Carl is normally frightened of cats but I think because of the size/age of Rory, he knew there was no threat. Rory's grown up around the dogs, so he has no fear and loves to be chased - he goes up to one of them, smacks them on the bum and waits to be pursued. Too bad for him only Mischa will take him up on that, and only for a while before she goes back to whatever she was doing.

Carl loves the kitten now and protects him from cats that try to come into our yard. Rory is a mostly indoor cat, though he's allowed outside when we're home and can watch to make sure he isn't going over the fence! When we're not here, he's locked up safe in one of our rooms with toys/food/water/bed, and the dogs have run of the house and yard as usual. It's a bit like playing musical chairs since we have to keep the laundry door shut while he's out, but our dogs are pretty good at letting us know when they need to go.

So while things were a bit prickly here in the beginning, Rory's really settled into our family and life. Our dogs are all quite prey-driven so for them to accept a baby animal with minimal fuss really impressed us all! That being said, we still never leave them together unsupervised.

I'd get a kitten when your two existing dogs are older and more obedient. Puppies are rarely not hyperactive or reactive around other animals and you're better off waiting til you know you can control them around a cat - if a cat is scared of a dog, it will set the dog's prey instincts off and you will end up with a tragedy.

like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

Thread Information