Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Bath

Default 1st Bath

Today we decided to give Murphy his 1st bath.
    Why, well when he was a little smaller and before I put thing's in the way where he was going. He was getting a smell about him.
    Then I blocked it off so he had no way to get to it andf plus he has grown.
    So it is a lovely 21 degree's today and it was the perfect time to get it done.
    I put on a pair of shorts and got the shower going as we don't have a bath at all. The shower was set to a nice temp and then the boss bought Murphy in.
    You guessed it he hated being in there getting wet, but when it is raining he is walking about like it was a dry day. I have never understood this from any dog.
    I got to work on getting a good lather going with the Granddaughters watching the going's on. Murphy was doing his best impression of something walking backwards.
    You should have seen the dirt come off him as I rinsed him off. Then he was all rinsed off and I was handed to the boss to dry him. They all went out I had a full shower. I came out to this great little dogs that now smells nice and his coat is soft as now.
    I hope this becomes better as he gets older as this is the best way we have found for us to keep any dog clean here.

I am spoiled...hubby has made an outside area with a bath at a nice height to easily wash my dogs. It also has hot and cold water. All done on the cheap, but very nice on the back (mine )
    I cannot imagine taking a newf into a shower cubicle with me. It would be disastrous. they love a bath and jump in happily.
    Sound like Murphy is nice and clean now. I wonder for how long ?
    Pets are forever

I have never met a dog who loves a bath yet. I'm sure they are out there but all mine would rather do is swim in the dirtiest, scungy waterholes they could find and love it. Give em a clean watered bath and they hated every minute of it. It would also amaze me how much dirt comes of a relatively clean looking dog. I could never wash my old dogs inside, they would go mental after a bath, running around like mad dogs.

I now have one of those kids big plastic "shells" that can be used for sandpits etc. I find it works a treat. I fill up both sides and wash in one side and then a final rinse off in the other side.
    Cheers,
    Sean.

My mum's aussie terrier would have a shower with her. The shower space was huge so it was pretty easy.

My dog - I take three or four buckets of warm water out on to the back yard, get a few towels ready and the j&j baby shampoo and some scoops (1kg yogurt tubs).

Soak the dog down with warm water, lather up then rinse off.

That's when she's really hit the stinky stuff.

Today we went to beach, she did a lot of swimming - I swear the water couldn't have been more than 10'C - ouch icy. But there was no hose-tap where I had parked so we drove home and I rigged the garden hose with the garden sprayer (shower) fitting, and hosed her off on the back lawn and then we played the towel game.

What I don't get is how attractive digging in the dirt/mud suddenly becomes after a bath. Sigh.

It called camofage hehehe instink
    in dog eyes arr im clean nooo must get drity
    this will do digs in drit there im ready to go and chace deer and thay wont see me lol
    If you are reading this then you're doing just fine as to
    I'm not going to tell ya I lost the ' , . ? ! " Keys to my head
    No grammar no problem I don't know how to fly it any way Bye

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    My dog - I take three or four buckets of warm water out on to the back yard, get a few towels ready and the j&j baby shampoo and some scoops (1kg yogurt tubs).

Soak the dog down with warm water, lather up then rinse off.

That's when she's really hit the stinky stuff.
    Yep, that's what I used to do with my old dog. Who loved a good roll in rotting animal remains!

But she had a really short and thin coat, so I only needed 2 buckets of water to get the job done.

I just pay a groomer to do it fortnightly now so I don't have to do it myself. Ahhh, the luxury!
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Shower, shower shower!! I got so sick of getting filthy, hair everywhere in the laundry/bathroom, dog trying to escape every three second, dog drinking dirty soapy dog water..

Now she comes in the shower with me, I wash her and myself and its deffinately a much more enjoyable experience! For me anyway
    Rubylisious

Im sitting here wondering.....

why do people bath dogs?
    They dont bath in the wild.

I dont mind the smell of dog, id prefer it to perfume or aftershave that stings my nose badly.

I find brushing, which i have no choice over, is fine for my long haired GSD.

A bath would be pointless, as he swims most days, its bad enough when ive spent an hour brushing his 'trousers' nicely, having to accept that he's ruined them with the first dunk. It would frustrate me further if i had thought he needed another bath!

How do you decide you dog is not clean enough? as my dogs dont mind being dirty. And covered in dust is an excellent way to cool down for Bernie.

I do it mainly as part of controlling fleas and in the heat of a QLD summer you are doing them a favour as even in the shade it still gets very hot.

Thread Information