Thread: Worms?!

Default Worms?!

Hi all..

I'm having a bit of a problem at the moment and don't know what to make of it. My new puppy came to me free of worms and in great health.. Hate to say it but ever since she's been here it seems she's constantly getting worms? One day she'll be fine and the next i'll get up and her belly is HUGE..

I have checked the yard for things that might be causing it and there isn't anything.. What should i do? i've never had this problem with any of my other dogs.

Are you sure it is worms and shes not just eating something she shouldnt which is making her tummy swell?

Worms don't make dogs bloat overnight. In fact, it has to be a heavy infestation even of one particular worm to make the stomach look like it is bloated. The worm that is known to give this appearance is the roundworm (which, despite its name, isn't round....).

A few questions - how old is the pup now? Have you wormed her since you got her?

A generalised worming regime would be: weekly until 6 weeks of age, fortnightly until 3 months of age, monthly until 6 months of age and then every 3 - 6 months of the dog's life, depending on their interaction with other dogs, the worm burden of the area and how often they have the chance to go where other dogs have been.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Deworming should be done regularly. However I would agree that you puppy's tummy won't bloat overnight. I would suggest that you see your vet and get professional advise about this matter. There might be some other reason why your pet's tummy bloat.

Thread Information