Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavachon Puppies - Help Needed!

Default Cavachon Puppies - Help Needed!

Hi all,

New user to the forum here.

My partner and I are looking to get a puppy - we live in Perth, WA.

We have searched the internet and decided that a Cavachon seemed like a perfect dog for us.

We have done a lot of research into these dogs, but we were hoping that we could also get some more info from users.

Thanks in advance.

central coast nsw

why dont you get a cavalier, or a bichon frise? why a crossbred?

After looking around on the internet and in some books it seemed like a perfect dog for us.

We also need a small dog because we don't have a huge backyard.

Moggill, Queensland

dan means, what makes this cross breed better then either of the purebreds its crossed from?

I'm not sure - is there anything that makes either of the purebreds better than the cross breed?

It's great you are doing your research before you commit to buying a dog, but you need to look beyond looks and go a bit deeper.

Every dog is different, while some breed characteristics can be determined such as a Border Collies high drive, others really are a mixed bag, even pure-breds.
    I have Miniature Poodles, every site you go to says highly intelligent, energetic dogs.
    I have one poodle here who is as dumb as a box of rocks and one who struggles to find the will to drag herself off the couch.
    If I simply went off what I read on the internet I would be very disappointed.

You also have to understand about the health of the animal. I personally only know of ONE kennel who breeds cross bred dogs who health tests them.

Health testing when breeding is a bit more involved than just going to the vet and making sure the dog can carry puppies.
    Health testing involves actual genetic screening of the parents before they are actually bred to ensure the healthiest possible off-spring. I only know of ONE kennel who breeds cross-bred dogs who does this.

I'm assuming a "Cavachon" is a Cavalier x Bichon Frise.
    Now both breeds have a set of problems in their own right, and they also have some shared problems... doubling up on these means twice as much health testing for the breeder... that's a LOT of money on testing, which frankly most cross-bred breeder would not bother doing.
    I cannot condone breeders who do no health testing and frankly it makes me sick that people get away with it.

If you can find a breeder who does all the appropriate testing then go for it, as long as the puppies are getting the best chance they can to be healthy that's all that matters, but good luck to you, I highly doubt you will find a breeder who is ethical.

By buying a purebred you have a larger selection of breeders who do appropriate testing.
    Yes, there are some bad purebreds breeders (quite a few actually) but I could point you in the direction of dozens of responsible, ethical Cavalier or Bichon breeders, whereas I don't know a single cross-bred breeder of this particular mix who is.

What you are looking for, you may not get. The difference between a purebred and a cross bred is consistency and a known definite outcome and a guess at best.

With a cross, you will get some traits of one breed and some of the other and you have no idea, until the dog grows, which traits it will have. Each pup of the litter will also have differing traits.

The size of the yard hasn't any real relevance on the size of the dog either. Instead of yard size, you need to consider activity levels and the amount if time you have to spend on interacting with your dog.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

The problems with a cross breed with a fancy name are caused by
    ignorant customers who think they can pick and choose from a genetic pool. Are all your siblings and cousins identical with identical temperments? - I think while they may have similarities - there will be a lot of variety and some you wouldn't choose to live with.

Same with cross breed dogs - you can't choose which characteristics you get.

So the cross breeders who say you can are lying. What else are they lying about?
    Do you get to meet both puppy parents and find out what their temperments are like and hence the likely temperment of the puppies. Are the puppies even of the cross the breeder says? Could you tell a cavalier KCS x Bichon Frise from a poodle x maltese puppy?

Most "designer dogs" come from puppy mills. Not all but most. How do you tell the difference and what's wrong with a puppy farm? Dogs in puppy farms are kept in very similar ways to battery hens ie small cages with wire floors, no opportunity to live a normal doggy life - resulting in unhealthy puppies with bad social skills ie they often attack other dogs for no reason making them not much fun to take for a walk. And they cost piles of money after you bring them home at the vet for things like bad teeth, bad spines, bad joints etc.

But the cross breeder will say they're breeding healthier dogs. And when you ask them for help with your vet bills resulting from genetic problems - they won't talk to you let alone take the puppy back like a responsible breeder will.

So a bunch of links to help you find a good breeder. Or if you really want cross breed vigour get a dog from a pound or rescue. As part of your research make sure you get some face to face recommendations from the dog breed clubs. Puppy mills and dodgy breeders can have beautiful websites with lots of happy testimonials that they wrote themselves. Ie those are sometimes complete works of fiction. Some of them will even take your money and deliver you nothing not even a sick puppy.

There is heaps of relevant info on the RSPCA website - not just about pound puppies but any puppies.
    Choosing a puppy | RSPCA Australia | For all creatures, great & small.

How do I avoid supporting puppy farms? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

How do I find a good dog breeder? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

How old should a puppy be before they are adopted/purchased? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
    If a puppy is offered at less than 8 weeks old - run away, this is a sign of a dodgy breeder.

Puppy Farms | RSPCA Australia | For all creatures, great & small.

And a registered breeder does not always mean good breeder. Some advertise they're registered but that means they have a licence from their local council, not that they're with the ANKC and would sell you a puppy eligible for ANKC events (pretty much anything doggy in Australia).

Australian National Kennel Council
    Note an ANKC registered breeder should follow the ANKC code of ethics. And you should get a puppy with ANKC papers for no additional cost. Ie all puppies from ANKC registered parents must also be registered. They have two registers - Main - it's ok to breed from that dog, and limited - dog is for a pet only and should be desexed. In the bad old days, these puppies might have been PTS.

What is a responsible companion animal breeder? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

Rescue puppies (search for puppies in the size field)
    PetRescue - find your new best friend!

How to choose the right shelter puppy

And everything you need to know about choosing and training a puppy.
    Digital Dog Training Textbook | Dog Star Daily

Some very valid points in this thread...

But also, good luck with your search, I hope you get exactly the dog you are looking for who is perfect for your requirements - regardless of breed

Why would you want to have a dog crossed between a Bichon coat and a Cavalier coat? Bichons don't shed at all, and Cavaliers do. Copiously. You will spend a fortune on having such a crossbreed groomed. Why not go for one of the purebreds? Both are a small breed and personally I would choose the Bichon, but only because I already have one.

like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

Thread Information