Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did You Do This?

Do you know you can make a dog anxious of your arrival home?

It's done easily because sometimes the dog has done something wrong eg; tipped over the rubbish. Your arrival home then has the dog thinking it should be offering appeasing body language. Because sometimes when you arrive home or walk into a room you will show disappointing body language to them, the sometimes being when you have spotted the tipped over rubbish.

It hasn't connected it to the tipped over rubbish, that was done hours ago, but it has connected it to your arrival home or into the room or whatever. So all the dog knows is that sometimes for some unknown reason you are unhappy with it.

It's the same principal of never calling a dog to you and then punishing it.

My husbands loud voice and heavy handedness of slamming doors & stomping thru the house has my youngest Whippet bitch constantly giving him appeasing signals. If she was a dog that routinely got up to mischief you might be mistaken for thinking she is guilty of some crime. But she rarely does anything wrong. She just sees him as a person who arrives home from work after a long day, probably exhibiting some body language that only she detects and there she goes, offering appeasing body language.

That was great reading MAC.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    Do you know you can make a dog anxious of your arrival home?

It's done easily because sometimes the dog has done something wrong eg; tipped over the rubbish. Your arrival home then has the dog thinking it should be offering appeasing body language. Because sometimes when you arrive home or walk into a room you will show disappointing body language to them, the sometimes being when you have spotted the tipped over rubbish.

It hasn't connected it to the tipped over rubbish, that was done hours ago, but it has connected it to your arrival home or into the room or whatever. So all the dog knows is that sometimes for some unknown reason you are unhappy with it.

It's the same principal of never calling a dog to you and then punishing it.

My husbands loud voice and heavy handedness of slamming doors & stomping thru the house has my youngest Whippet bitch constantly giving him appeasing signals. If she was a dog that routinely got up to mischief you might be mistaken for thinking she is guilty of some crime. But she rarely does anything wrong. She just sees him as a person who arrives home from work after a long day, probably exhibiting some body language that only she detects and there she goes, offering appeasing body language.

Yea thats quit einteresting. But doesnt really apply to Pippi.

I dont tell her off if I dont catch her doing it so there cannot be an "association" with walking in the room and I dont get mad about it either, its just one of th emany enjoying things about having Pippi LMAO. In fact, sometimes I dont even tell her off when I do catch her.

Its hard to explain. Get what you are saying though...

But, I personally dont think scientists and behaviourists give dogs enough credit at times.

Dogs can think about a problem and find a solution to it...so to then say they dont have the ability to realise an action is wrong and to act accordingly seem almost neandethal.

Disclaimer: I am not saying I am right of course, but I have seen a few too many things with Pippi to think she is just reading body language etc...she knows.

One thing dogs are experts in is reading body language. We might only give them a very short window of opportunity to read body language but it will be there, the surprise when we walk in the door at spotting the garbage. Just standing there and observing the mess the dog has left can be enough body language for the dog.

I'm not saying dogs aren't smart and they can solve problems. But guilt is not a word I associate with dogs. You could place a treat under the rubbish bin, the dog will tip the bin over to reach the treat, he will have achieved is aim of eating the treat, he will not feel guilty over having tipped over the bin.

It only needs to be subtle, and it only needs to have happened previously and the "grovellers" as I like to call them will go into appeasing mode.

Lots of young dogs will offer this to older dogs just when they walk into a room.

I know my 12 months old Borzoi who is twice the size of my other dogs routinely offers appeasing body language to my 5.5yo Gordon who is he oldest of my dogs. He'll do it if he has taken her favourite toy and he'll also offer it when he hasn't.
    Last edited by MAC; 07-20-2011 at 07:14 AM.

lol pippi is not an "appeaser".

she doesnt offer any appeasing behaviour unless she has done something wrong. If i ask her "did you do ths" in an angry voice, and she didnt do it, she wont grovel. So the body language, voice etc argument just does not wash with this dog.

I know all the arguments you are presenting, and have presented them a time or two myself.

If you want the dog to hide their toiletting from you, act unhappy or even scold them if you catch them in the act or find some mess.

I praise my dog like she's won first prize if she craps in front of me where I can see and pick it up... she does seem to find this a little disconcerting - ie she doesn't like to be interrupted, but as long as I don't get too close it's all good.

But dogs that get scolded are the ones that crap when their owners are not looking. So I offer the owners a plastic bag. And you can tell these are the owners who don't like to pick up after their dogs, because they get that guilty look.

Pippi doesnt hide poos, she does them beside my bed

Or at least she did 2 nights ago when I walked in it and then traipsed it all through the house

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Awww, I wanted to cuddle the second dog. The first was hilarious, but the second made me feel sad.

Its interesting though isn't it. Is there any text explaining this further or just the clip??
    I really question this "dogs dont feel guilty" thing.

Sometimes if I am accused of doing something that I didnt, I still feel guilty for some reason. Could be the sme with that dog/

Quote Originally Posted by leelika08 View Post
    I really question this "dogs dont feel guilty" thing.

Sometimes if I am accused of doing something that I didnt, I still feel guilty for some reason. Could be the sme with that dog/

Absolutely agree! I get the guilts if I am questioned hard about stuff I didn't do and I imagine I would dislay some guilty behaviour too...

If you didn't do it - you're not guilty. All the behaviours are related to someone being mad at you or just generally upset. I can't handle angry people at all. I sort of implode or go in on myself. It's more related to fear and appeasement than guilt. And I imagine it's much the same with the dog. They've got no idea why you're upset, but they really feel uncomfortable about it.

Thread Information