Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Dog is Right for Me?

What do people think about a Havanese? Anyone on here that owns one? I know they are a pretty rare breed.

I have a friend who breeds them, but I really do not know a lot about them... other than they're hairy. I am happy to message you contact details if you like. Jen is lovely and will give you all the info you need to know.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Ok, I'm just reiterating my retraction of my 'pug crosses aren't cute' statement.

Look at this little bubba! Available for adoption at Pets Haven (Vic) now. His name is Toad! Perfect!
    He actually looks like a Griffon Bruxelois! Although I guess they have Pug in their make-up so that is possibly why.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

They look similar to a Maltese the Havanese.

what about a norwegian Elk hound

They look like a huski but they're smaller but still athletic enough to go for a run.

Not sure how they'd go in summer when it's hot.

As for picking a good breeder - this is my list of links...
    You want a responsible breeder who will take the dog back if it doesn't work out, and you want that in writing. And papers should not cost more than the $40 or so it costs the breeder to get them from ANKC. All puppies from dogs registered with the ANKC must be registered with the ANKC too - so any breeder that is with the ANKC but does not supply you paper with their puppies is up to something dodgy.

Doesn't mean you can't find a responsible breeder who has nothing to do with ANKC -just that one that is registered but doesn't follow their rules is dodgy - in my opinion.

Choosing a puppy | RSPCA Australia | For all creatures, great & small.

Digital Dog Training Textbook | Dog Star Daily

What is a responsible companion animal breeder? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

How do I find a good dog breeder? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
    the best way to find a good breeder - is to find out when the breed shows and social events organized by the breed club - and go meet them. You're much more likely to get the puppy you want from the breeder you want if you meet them face to face before the puppies are even conceived.

How do I avoid supporting puppy farms? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
    with a pug x or pet shop purchase or gumtree ad - you run a high risk of getting an unhealthy unfriendly dog with social problems - from a puppy farm or back yard breeder.

How old should a puppy be before they are adopted/purchased? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
    another way to spot a dodgy breeder is one who sends their puppies to new homes before the puppies are 8 weeks old and doesn't let the buyer meet the puppies or puppy parents before that. Ie you get the puppy at 6 weeks old without ever meeting the whole litter or doggy parents.

If you don't mind a cross breed - here's how to choose one from a shelter

and here's a big site with puppies included.
    PetRescue - find your new best friend!

And here's a page on alternatives to designer breeds - with emphasis on low shedding
    Pantone Poodles - Poodle Info - Whats in a Doodle?

You could probably do fine with a poodle. Although be prepared for a very clever dog. And dogs that don't shed much - need regular clipping.

That would be great Anne! Thanks!
    Hyacinth - thanks so much for all those links! I'm going to have an interesting night going though them and learning more!

What about a Whippet. More energy than most Greyhounds. Whippets generally can take as much or as little exercise as you can give them. Which is why they fit in with most families.

As an added bonus if it's pouring down with rain then they'll agree it's not a good day for a run and will be happy to stay in bed.

Once they've had a chance to stretch their legs they will lay about for hours, sun baking and sleeping.

Whippets have short fine coats, that do shed but a daily rub with a hound glove or even a rubber washing up glove will remove most hair. They have little doggy odour. Being sight hounds they are naturally a quiet breed.

Remember too that building up to a 5-6km run takes time. Young dogs should not be pounding the pavement at a young age due to developing bones/joints. So a dog may be 2yrs plus before he could go on a full 5-6km run.

Another breed that would do well with a jogger is the Australian Kelpie, though their coat can shed heavily at times.
    Last edited by MAC; 07-18-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Bark Busters 250 W. Lehow Avenue Englewood, CO 80110

A dog’s breed and temperament, combined with your lifestyle and personality, all play an important role in determining what kind of dog is the best fit for you. For instance, a slight or shy person could find a large-breed dog

Deciding Between a Puppy and a Full-Grown Dog

• Puppies should not be left alone for extended periods of time.
    • They need to be fed several times a day, constantly monitored, and handled with care.
    • Owners must fill the void created when they take a puppy away from its mother and littermates.
    • Attention is required to properly house-train the puppy.
    • Other training is required with goals suitable for the puppy’s age. (Training goals will change as the puppy matures.)

Dogs that Require More Discipline
    Often exuberant, many of these breeds require more discipline and exercise—but are great for people with lots of energy. Their loyal, loving natures still make them wonderful family pets.

Afghan Hound
    Bull Terrier
    English Cocker Spaniel
    Doberman Pinscher
    German Shepherd
    Great Dane
    Miniature Schnauzer

LOL I see copy and paste is alive and well in this thread...quite a different post from one in another thread I was reading.

Also, could you finish the first sentence coz its really irking me what it is meant to say LOL

Actually it all depends on your choice and your handling as well.Actually people usually adopt dogs for the inside of the house and for the outside of the outside.What do you want,think about it first ?

Thread Information