Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big or Small Dog Breed??

Question Big or Small Dog Breed??

Im thinking of getting a dog, I had the king charles spaniel in mind as said in my earlier post! I also have bigger dogs like german shepherd, rottie and doberman in mind. What do u guys thing is better. Smaller breeds or larger ones?? I want something thats very loyal, loving and doesn't bite their owners. I had a Lhasa Apso a few years ago and that bit a lot but that was my fault cause i did no research or anything on training breeders etc. I don't want to make the same mistake again. Do doberman, german shepherds bite their owners even after being trained basic obedience and getting their daily exercise. What do u recommend?? Recommend a few breeds for me as well??

Gippsland, Victoria

Breed size is less important than making sure the breed you select suits your lifestyle; grooming requirements/ exercise requirements/ trainability etc.

Being the proud owner of two Dobermanns, I have to let you know that, yes, even after high level obedience training they are blood thirsty, savage creatures. I have to abduct a hitchiker or two each week to feed the buggers' blood lust.....

ETA: of course I am joking. Any dog can bite if improperly handled.
    Last edited by Villain & Flirtt; 07-05-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Any breed you choose has the potiential to bite. With the right training and treatment any dog can be loyal

I have 2 rotties and a silky terrier. Love them all to bits. My elderly silky would be more likely to attack than the rotties.

Honestly, and perhaps bluntly, I think you need to do more research of your own first.

Try some of the online breed selectors or go through the breed listing here: Australian National Kennel Council

I start looking at the pictures first personally, then based on what I like the look of I go through the breed standards and see if they fit with what I'm looking for (limiting myself to 10 choices initially). Then I write the breed names down, and further research until I come up with 3 breeds that fit the characteristics I'm looking for. Once that is done I start researching Breeders, coming up with two per breed & I narrow it down from there based on research on the breeders, and conversations with them etc.

There's a huge difference (not just in size) between Cavaliers & Dobermanns, German Shepherds etc. And to be blunt about it, you're not ready for working breeds of dogs. Yes that includes Border Collies, Kelpies, Australian Cattle dogs, Shepherds, Rottweillers (sp??), and if I were you I'd be looking at toy breeds/lap dogs first and foremost.

I would suggest you do what we did.

Get a pen and paper and write down all the characteristics you want in a dog, or all the things suited for your lifestyle.

Ie, doesn't need much exercise, not a big barker, playful, low maintenance coat etc

Once you have your list you can research breeds that meet your specification. In saying that not every dog is going to have the exact personality they describe but alot of dogs have particular traits.

Beagles howl, Kelpies dig bulldogs snore and fart and snore! hehe You get the point.

There is a huge difference between a King Charles and a dob so I would say you have alot more thinking \and researching to do before you make your decision Goodluck thou!!

Gold fish don't bite.

Or at least if they do, it doesn't hurt at all.

Digital Dog Training Textbook | Dog Star Daily

If you can't train a small dog bite inhibition, you will have the same difficulty with a big dog, except their bite will do more damage.

Dogs/puppies bite until they learn bite inhibition so itll be something you will have to put up[ with for a while regardless of breed.

I have one of each size, large (40kg) and small (6kg) and I love em both very much. Handy for different reasons.

THey also both bite, but biting is allowed in our house for play providing it is done according to the house guidelines (i.e. gently) LOL.

As everyone else says, size will be a factor most definitely and you should add your preferred size to a list of things you want in a dog.

I would suggest if you arent sure whether you want large or small, then perhaps you may want to try a medium sized dog lol

Before we got Murphy we looked into 2 bigger breeds before finally going bak to what we know in anothe Heeler.
    we looked at Bullmastiffs. What a great big beautiful dog that love the attention and can go without too much exercise. Butis on the top layers of a guard dog while loving it owners to the full extent.
    This one was ruled out as we have go a soon to be 2 year old granddaughter so this big dog would hurt her not meaning to. So once our girls are older we might look into them one more. Oh and they have got a realitively good price.
    The next was a Black Russian terrier, these are slightly bigger than a Bullmastiff, though I am not fully sure on that point. But these are as the same in charater as the Bullmastiff. So this made 2 dogs that love kids and are great wath dogs.
    The Russian is high in price as there are only about 400 I think the lady said just last week when I rang up about them.
    You just have to research as much as you can. And no matter what breed you pick it is the way that you handle it that make the dog a biter or not a biter.
    Too many people are ready to say this breed of dogs will bite, I have found bring up any dog in a full family background makes for a better dog.

I think you need to look at yourself and your home first.
    My partner really wanted a German Sheppard – but when we looked at how much exercise we would be able to give it (plus neither of us had ever had a big dog before) we decided it wasn’t the best idea. Admittedly Johnny gets walked twice a day most days but Chihuahuas tire out much quicker than bigger dogs.
    First of all: How big is your yard? If you only have a 1m x 1m yard or no yard at all a big dog isn’t suitable. I do know of people who have kept big dogs happily in smaller spaces, but this again takes a lot of work.
    How often are you prepared to exercise? And I mean really think about this one. Think about how much time you have during the day and all your other commitments. Can you honestly fit in 2 x 1 hour walks or can you only manage a 20 min walk once a day or once every few days.
    You also need to think about your budget. What do you want to spend on a dog. Some purebreds can cost a fortune. If you have your heart set on a more expensive breed you can look into adopting a mature dog (usually between 6 months and a few years old).
    Once you have a rough idea of what you can offer then you should start to look at different breeds. You need to think about what how easy are they to train, how much exercise do they need, are they known barkers, are they good with children ect.
    The final stage is deciding which appeals to you most and visiting breeders.
    Good luck!

depends what you want and what fits into your life perfectly
    research different dog breeds and see which one suits you
    you could also get a medium size dog, more demanding then a little one but less demanding than a big one

Thread Information