As already said , nothing to get worked up over. I am yet to have a dog that has had a reaction to any of the supposedly deadly foods *madly touching wood*
And The Honky Tonk is an absolute chocoholic! And I am guilty of going bite for bite also , nothing worse than sticky chokky on your fingers
GageDesign Pet PhotographySite still in construction so will post link when it's finished.
Chocolate can and does KILL. Recent one on other forum, dog stole and ate dark cooking chocolate died from chocolate toxicity, only 4 years old. Not worth the risk imo.
and how much did it steal and eat? My boyfriend's staffy has been given chocolate her whole life (she's five or six not), but not all dogs are as tolerant as she appears to be. I suppose that's the whole point of this thread All of those foods are listed to be toxic, yet some dogs are very tolerant of them.
i suppose its the same as with not giving young babies and toddlers certain foods. eg strawberries should not be given under two as there is some toxic substance in them, same as egg not before one incase of allergies.. some children may be ok eating strawberries from a very young age and not have the reaction to them.. but if they do it could be deadly. i guess its the same with dogs, most dogs wont have a reaction to small amounts of these foods, but for the few that are intollerable to the certain foods it can be fatal. so i guess i am in the "dont want to take the chance" group. it just could be my dog that could have the fatal reaction.. ill just stick to dog foods.
I didn't know strawberries and eggs were toxic to kids. My brother was certainly given anything we had (within reason, no alcohol, etc.). His favourite was to taste any lemons we had on the dinner table. He lovd curry, pepper, everything haha.
I didnt feed either of my children meat or peanut butter until they were 12 months old. Everything else, they got
Milk and white chocolate are different because lower content of theobromine
Small amount of choc won't hurt your dog.
This is a handy way of checking to see how much of what chocolates for what sized dogs are dangerous.
Last edited by Keira & Phoenix; 07-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.
They tested all the major pet foods and found some to have levels of the preserative sulpher dioxide, 435 times more than claimed on the packaging. Sulphur dioxide destroys the thiamine (vit B) levels in food, which is essential to the health of the animal. Scientists have warned the public that thiamine deficiency can a cause serious neurological breakdown in dogs and cats. It happens very suddenly and is extremely severe. Confused vets and owners could mistake this condition for a brain tumour leading to the pet being put down unnecessarily. The RSPCA is pushing for new laws to ensure there is enough thiamine in pet foods and reccomends owners feed human grade raw meats until we have adequate safeguards.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)