Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enough!

I googled "How to stop my dog from biting?" and found some interesting articles. I thought these might be helpful...

Lack of Socialization Causes Biting
    A major cause of biting is lack of socialization. Lack of socialization often results in fearful or aggressive behavior. The two major reactions a dog has to something it is afraid of are to avoid it or to act aggressive in an attempt to make it go away. This is the most common cause of children being bitten. Dogs that are not socialized with children often end up biting them.

The optimum time to socialize is before the dog reaches 4 months. With large breed dogs, 4 months may be too late, simply because at this age the puppy may already be too large for most mothers of young children to feel comfortable around. For most owners, the larger the dog is, the more difficult it is to control, especially around children. If there is anything you do not want your dog to be afraid of or aggressive towards, you must begin to socialize your puppy with them before 4 months of age.

Trust and Respect Inhibits Biting
    There are many other reasons your dog will bite and you will have to take an active role in teaching them. However, before you can teach your dog anything, there are two prerequisites that are essential. They are trust and respect. If your dog doesn't trust you, there is no reason why he should respect you. If your dog does not respect you, your relationship will be like two 5 year olds bossing each other around. If your dog does not trust and respect you, then when you attempt to teach your dog something, he will regard you as if he were thinking, "Who do you think you are to tell me what to do?"

Use of Reprimands and Biting Never hit, kick or slap your dog. This is the quickest way to erode the dog's trust in you. Yes, he will still love you. Even abused dogs love their owners. A unique characteristic of dogs is their unconditional love. You don't have to do anything to acquire your dog's love. But you must do a lot to gain your dog's trust and respect. Another area where we destroy our dog's trust in us is when we scold or punish them for housesoiling mistakes and accidents. When housetraining your puppy, there is never an appropriate time to punish or reprimand. If you catch your dog in the act, just head for the towels and cleaner. You have no right to scold him, because if he is going in the wrong place, it is your fault, not his. If you find an accident after the fact, just clean it up.

Summary Tips on Biting
    1. Reprimand alone will never stop biting.
    2. If no respect exists, the biting will get worse. If you act like a littermate, the dog will treat you as one.
    3. If trust is not there, the dog may eventually bite out of fear or lack of confidence.
    4. Inconsistency sabotages training. If you let the dog bite some of the time, then biting will never be completely eliminated.
    5. Don't forget follow up. The dog must understand that it is the biting that you don't like, not the dog itself. Make up afterwards, but on your terms, not the dog's.

Quote Originally Posted by mason.e View Post
    Yer Well i don't know. I have to find somewhere cheap, and only then he might consider it.

Last night we let him in the patio room to sleep for the night, we woke up, all our herbs we had in there, were all on the floor, and all dirt everywhere lol.
    Hey Mason

You need to ' Puppy-Proof ' the areas where pup will have access to. Sit down or lay down on the floor even get your sister involved and look around....think....what can you see that is in pups reach. Remove things that are likely to appeal to pup or are a danger Eg. power cords, poisons, cleaning products...Provide lots of toys for pup so he doesn't get bored. This is normal puppy behaviour. We've all been through it, and it does get better. patience and understanding the behaviour is the key. And remember! Puppy is not doing this to make anyone angry, to be spiteful or mean. He's just a silly little baby that has alot of learning to do.

Mason I hope everything gets a bit easier for you with your pup and your family. Stick around the forum and even if it gets as bad as it can we'll try and help however possible.

It might help if you remind your parents that he is really only very young. I'll bet you and your sister mucked up sometimes when you were preschoolers...?? And I'll bet you've seen kids mucking up in shopping centres and driving their parents nuts??

Your parents must have found ways of dealing with it that helped you both to learn right from wrong. You and your family have the same job to do with your pup.

And he's a large breed which means a bit more clumsy and prone to being a doofus generally, and being a puppy for a longer time. But if you love him he's worth it - just like you and your sister were worth all the work your mum and dad put into helping you both learn and grow every day.

I have big breeds and wouldn't swap them for anything, even when they are naughty pups or clumsy clots who chew up my garden and pot plants...

If you contact you local dog club, they sometimes run more informal lessons. We go to classes that are volunteer run and cost a gold coin donation each time you attend. If you can't find the dog club, you might have something like a local Agricultural Society that run a yearly show (you know, sideshows, horses etc...) who might be able to tell you who to contact - or your local newspaper might know.

Keep at it, you have to be more stubborn than the puppy...

Yer well we understand his a pup, and very young. So i guess we will just have to wait and see how he goes for a few months.

Thanks for all your posts people.

Wish we could be closer and help you out first hand. I hope things go ok.

Yes i know, it seems like everyone lives is Sydney

Thread Information