Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training a Puppy to Be an Indoor Dog

Unhappy Training a Puppy to Be an Indoor Dog

I have a 7 month old puppy who is semi house trained. At night, I have him sleep in his crate and in the morning I let him outside to do his business. Occasionally he will have accidents while Im at home, I do blame myself for that as sometimes I miss the signals he gives me however he is generally really good (while I'm at home). I recently have had to keep him indoors due to my pup escaping some how through the backyard. I want to be able to leave him unsupervised but it is for 12 hours of the day so I know he will have to go to the toilet at some point.
    I also have another dog, she's an angel (I recieved her potty trained), I however am struggling badly to potty train my little guy. He does for some reason, do his business in one area in the house (unfortunately he chooses the dining room instead of the laundry).

I'm looking for advice, tips, anything that can help me in my situation.

I've had a look at other dog forums online and have noticed some dog owners crate their dogs while at work. Is this safe and a fair act on my pup? for 12 hours?

Please if you could give me advice, that would be fantastic!

I don't agree with crating for long periods of time. I'd suggest you block access to all areas of the house that aren't easy to clean such as carpeted areas while you fix the fencing as a matter of urgency.

Baby gates are great for blocking areas as is closing doors.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Thank you for your advice.

Baby gates unfortunately do not work for my pup, he jumps it quite easily. There is actually no way in blocking him off from the dining room unless I kept him in a spare bedroom all day.

The fence is hard to fix because the owner of the opposite house cannot afford to put in the 50% of the cost and it is a very large property I live on. It could take up to 6 months to see any part of the dodgy fence fixed

Agree with Anne, 12 hours is far too long to be left in a crate all day. What kind of dog is he? My pup used to try to jump over our baby gate, we solved this by putting his crate up against it. Put a kong and lots of other toys in his area to keep him occupied.

Surely your other dogs goes to the toilet inside as well if they're left in there all day?

The puppy is a bulldog x ****zu. He is a very active, curious dog. Not only will he jump over the baby gate, I have witnessed him jumping on his crate and sleeping on it so I can see the scenario in my head, he will see the crate as being a step ladder to the rest of the house.

My other dog is an ex racing greyhound. Those kinds of dogs are crate trained for long periods of time and she has never gone to the toilet in my house.

Im not saying that its horribly wrong for my pup to go to the toilet indoors and I'm not expecting him to hold it for that long (as 12 hours is very long to hold it in for a pup).

I'm going to try puppy pads in the laundry, I'm hoping he takes to it however he is quite keen on doing his business in the dining room.

ok he is a bulldog x s.h.i.t.zu lol

he is a bull dog x shih tzu - if you don't want the bad word muncher to eat the breed name. But for me - he's a high jumping mutt. Maybe two baby gates, one over the top of the other?

Personally - I would crate him if you can find no other way. But I'd also clean up that corner with the carpet with bicarb soda and vinegar and water - no bleach products, because bleach just smells like somewhere a dog should go potty.

And I'd put some of the puppy pads there on that spot since he likes it.

I would also try using the umbilical cord method to house train him, ie you tie him to you with a lead so he can't go anywhere or do anything without you noticing. And you set a timer and take him out every 30 minutes to start with, and then gradually extend the time, but every time he wakes up, after a play, after food, 30 minutes after food, before bed time etc etc. Take him out and encourage him to toilet where you want him to toilet.

As far as a dog is concerned, sometimes = any time. Ie if he gets away with going potty inside the house sometimes, he thinks it's ok to do any time. So you have to do all you can to prevent the sometimes. If you can get it right 4 out of 5 times, you're on the way, but 5 out of 5 times would be better.

Why not build an outdoor dog run? It can be as large as you want, with a cosy indoor area. Perfect to spend long hours in, fixes the toilet issue, and your other dog could also be with your pup.

Default Outdoor Run

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Interesting breed mix, maybe we have been had

BTW if you do choose to build and outdoor dog run you should revisit basic toilet training (as others have advised). It's a little unrealistic to expect such a young puppy to behave inside for such a long period. Give your pup some time to mature and work on toilet training before allowing him to be inside while you are gone.

For my dogs.... Having access to inside while I'm not home is actually something they earn. It takes time. I'm anticipating that with my nine month old Irish Setter I wont do this until he is at least 3 years old!

Good luck

Thread Information