Long story short, just over 4 weeks ago I noticed Lilly limping on her right leg, I watched it for a few days and with reduced exercise it wasn't getting better, so off to the vet we went.
Initial exam called for a sedation and to look at the cruciate. They did this a week to the day later and in the meantime she was on anti inflammatories/pain relief. By the appointment for sedation the leg had improved.
The cruciate was clear and they checked her other joints while they were there and all appeared fine. (3 vets checked while she was under, all that were on duty in the surgery that day).
We stopped the anti inflammatories/pain relief but kept exercise reduced. The limp started to come back worse so we put her back on the medication, but a week ago it got really bad. Was no longer just that right leg as a limp, she was stooped with a hunch in her back and the whole back end seemed sore. So I took her back to the vet on Tuesday (after the long weekend) and had xrays done.
There is some minor swelling from like 3-9 vertebrae from her tail, which is probably caused by the compensation for the pain. The xrays were basically clear, with only a minor issue with the left hip socket which at this stage they aren't convinced is the problem. It appears that this has probably only become irritated as she is walking to compensate for pain. The hip socket is only a tiny bit short in comparison to the right one which is perfect and under normal circumstances they wouldn't believe it would cause an issue. There were no bone spurs, joint mice, obvious deviation/alignment issues with vertebrae. All the gaps were consistent etc so the xrays have been forwarded to a specialist for further review.
Next stop as far as the vet is concerned (as we are in Nth QLD and closest MRI is brisbane) will be a dye injection to the spinal tract and then xrays to see if there are any obstructions or similar before we progress to an MRI as that will require her being transported etc.
However if the specialist says the xrays are clear and the hip socket is no issue I will be taking Lilly and her xrays to the animal chiro in the next town. My vet doesn't provide that service and wasn't so keen on the idea, but wasn't so bad when I told her it wasn't a human chiro (obviously she has had bad experiences) and actually a vet that is trained in animal chiro. She asked that I hold off on this until the specialist gives the all clear from the xrays.
Fingers crossed it's nothing major but at this stage we really have no idea.
Thanks for listening xoxo