Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labrador Pups - Anyone Help?

Question Labrador Pups - Anyone Help?

We live in Tassie and our house consists of me (angela), my fiance, our two daughters (18 months and 5 months) and a moggie kitten.

We want to get a family dog, an only dog, and due to the ages of our children we decided a Labrador would be best, black or chocolate.

We also like golden retrievers and greyhounds and were looking at them too before deciding on a lab.

We could easily get one from the trading post right now for $600, however we bought our kitten from a pet shop and then learnt that impulse buys like this encourage backyard breeders, and as the pup will be a family dog we decided to go through a breeder with a waiting list which means it'll be around xmas time before we get a pup!

Anyway, I got two quotes, around $1200. Is this average?

Does anyone know any really good breeders, preferably in tassie!

The pup will be desexed, and taken to obedience training.

Thank you for any help at all

How much do you know about labs?

Personally I wouldn't get a labrador with such young children - yes many people can and do have them successfully, but they are a huge amount of work. They're a working dog that requires a LOT of mental and physical stimulation. Specifically not a puppy. An older, calmer dog (ex show or rescue) would be a far safer choice as as puppies to younger dogs (up to 2 or 3 years) tend to be very boisterous and rambunctious and could hurt your children.

I would (if I may) suggest speaking to some of the Greyhound Adoption Program people as they are placid, loving dogs and while not all will be suitable for your home the dogs from GAP that have been in foster care will have their personalities known.

Please don't look in the trading post, while some breeders in Tas do sell that way (due to our limited population) the majority of litters will be backyard bred or puppy mills.

Here is a list of Lab breeders in Tasmania with their website/contact information.
    Always remember to check the breeder thoroughly, health and temperament are very important.
    Check what specific test Labs need (hip scores would be a definite for example) and only buy from breeders who do all the proper testing.

Labrador Retriever Breeders, Australia

And here are the Greyhound breeders in Tassie:
    Greyhound Breeders, Australia
    Again, make sure you check for health and temperament.

And finally, here is the Greyhound adoption program of Tasmania:
    Greyhound Adoption Program

Rural NSW

I also would not get a lab yet.
    30 years ago I did when my son was small. I had no idea of how to properly look after the dog. what its needs were and it was a disaster. I rehomed her with my sister as she was so destructive (boredom) and all over the son (lack of my training her).

Lo and behold that same son made the same mistake as I did and bought one for his young kids. Gees I wish he had talked to me first. He did puppy preschool etc but also found her too exuberant (kids became frightened of her joyousness in being with them) and he also regretfully rehomed her to a wonderful home where she was a doted on companion.

His family is now very happy with 2 same sex guinea pigs and hermit crabs.

Please, if you do want to get one research thoroughly their temperament and needs to see if it meshes well with your style of life etc.
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 06-14-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thanks for the replies

We thought greyhounds first, but I want a walking/jogging companion, and know that greyhounds cannot be walked very far as they are built for speed, not endurance, whereas a labrador or golden retriever make great exercise companions.

Are golden retrievers similar with children as a labrador?

Our eldest daughter loves to play rough and tumble with the kitten who doesn't appreciate it lol! She also tries to play with the inlaws maltese cross fluffy things who also don't appreciate it!

Thank you again for the replies

Sydney, NSW

Whilst I cannot recommend any Lab breeders in Tassie, $1200 is not an unusual price to pay for a Lab pup from a registered, reputable, ethical Lab breeder. Your Lab pup should come with a "Limited Registration" and pup's parents should have undergone the necessary health checks and you should ask for evidence of these i.e. parents hip & elbow scores, PRA certificates etc.

I think it is a good thing that you are put on a waiting list for your pup, rather than as most people do, expect it NOW, as it gives you and your family time to consider the implications of bringing a new lab puppy into your family, time to prepare for your new addition and time to do further research on raising Lab pups. There is an added bonus about getting your pup around Xmas as it will be summer and the warmer weather should aid pup's toilet training as easier for both human and pup to go outside at some ungodly hour to toilet

I don't go along with the other posters advice about not getting a Lab pup because you have young children. They are a a fabulous breed and deserve their awesome reputation for their unrivalled beautiful temperament, fantastic allrounders and are just wonderful family members when ALL their needs are met, the most important being the following:

• being raised as part of the family, including being allowed inside with their family as they are a very closely bonding dog and need constant interaction with their family.
    • training must begin on day 1 with firm boundaries and routines being set from the get go - they do not stay cute small puppies for long and they grow into powerful large dogs, so it is extremely important that they receive regular & consistent training and boundaries set starting from puppyhood and continuing thru adolescences (this is the most challenging stage of their development) and into adulthood. The foundations are set in puppyhood & adolescence with the most challenging age being 5mths - 10months, this critical stage is when your resolve will be fully tested
    • exercise and mental stimulation - Labs are highly intelligent and high energy dogs and as such they must be regularly exercised and provided with mental stimulation (training, playing games with them etc), otherwise they become bored and destructive when left to their own devices. Whilst they require regular physical exercise, you do need to be mindful that you must not overexercise Lap pups and youngsters to avoid joint problems in developing youngsters. Exercise doesn't just mean taking them on a walk on a lead, remember they are a retrieving breed, so playing lots of retrieving games with them, provide both physical and mental stimulation and of course there is their legendary love of swimming and what they were bred to do.

With having young children, you do need to be mindful that Labs are a "mouthy" breed, so there will be some nipping, the degree will vary on the pup's bite inhibition. You will hear/read stories of some pups being very nippy and others hardly nipping at all with those ones hardly nippng at all having very good bite inhibition, like my current youngster who has excellent bite inhibition and has never nipped any of us, including my young grandchildren. Nipping/Biting needs to be nipped (pardon the pun) in the bud very quickly, particulary with having young children. There is nothing scarier than a fast growing nipping/biting puppy. Your puppy needs a crate or some place to call his/her own where it can sleep and have time outs away from the family and your children must be taught to respect the crate/special place as a "no go zone", particulary during puppyhood as Lab pups are extremely cute and kids love them, but pups sleep a lot and they need to be able to do so in peace. You also need to be mindful that Labs are a very happy exciteable breed and as such tend to jump up at humans, which is cute when they are puppies, but not so much when they are growing into large powerful dogs, so like nipping, you really need to work on stopping/preventing the jumping up at humans in the bud as well as by the time they are adolescents they are big and strong, so will knock small kids over very easily.

I have had Labs for many years and I find the biggest mistakes families make with raising Lab pups are normally a combination of the following factors:

• not including them as part of the family i.e. not allowing enough interaction with their families - they either make them spend 100% if their time outside or severely limit their time inside with the family or limit any interaction with the family, whether it be inside or outside.
    • not providing the training or setting the boundaries required
    • not providing adequate physical exercise and/or mental stimulation

When people/families fail to meet the needs outlined above, a Labrador becomes an out of control, bored, powerful, destructive monster and it saddens me greatly when this happens as another beautiful Labrador has been ruined and will more than likely find itself being dumped in the pound or rehomed. I know only too well how wonderful this beautiful breed is and what an awesome family member it makes, when it is raised correctly from a pup, by meeting all its needs.

Please do all the necessary research to help you understand this truly wonderful breed and what is required to ensure that you will give your beautiful new Lab puppy the best chance in life by meeting all its needs and help it grow and develop into a very happy, well adjusted adult who along the way is truly adored as a devoted companion and best friend to your children and family.

Thank you Labsrule

The pup will be inside 90% of the time, only being outside when using the toilet, or if we will be away from home for more than 4 hours which is very rare! If we were going to be away for any length of time I would make sure the dog was exercised and had a few games before we left so they wouldn't get bored or restless.

We do plan on doing obedience training, and would give it the very best we could offer. Both labradors and golden retrievers do the whole mouthing thing don't they? My neighbour used to have two golden retrievers, even had her entire house de-carpeted and tiled for them as they shed a lot. They were the friendliest dogs, but she was an elderly lady and couldn't walk them herself, and as such they both were obese.

Thank you again

Sydney, NSW

Great, sounds like you are on the right track

Yes Golden Retrievers are also a mouthy breed as are Gundog breeds in general which both the Labrador Retriever and Golden Retriever are. Labs also shed a lot, a fact that suprises a number of new Lab owners, mainly because they did not do enough research on the breed.

One of the beauties of the Labs is that they they are low maintenance, grooming wise and very much "wash and wear". My preferred colour choice is black and one of the benefits is that the black coat doesn't show the mud/dirt on them like the yellows. I was at the dog park on the weekend chatting to another fellow black lab owner and we were having a laugh as our two black lab boys were playing with a yellow lab boy and because it has been wet, all 3 were doing what Labs love doing best, rolling around in the mud and having a great time and the yellow boy was "filthy" whereas you could hardly see the mud on our black boys ,

Labs like Golden Retrievers are prone to putting on weight, however, lack of exercise alone is not responsible for putting on weight, it is due to the owner over feeding/over treating their dogs. Unfortunately lots of Lab & Goldie owners seem to overcompensate on the food for lack of exercise and these poor overweight/obese dogs seem older than they actually are as the extra weight puts extra strain on their joints and limits their mobility, poor things, it makes me very sad to see so many overweight/obese Labs around

Have you decided on gender and colour yet?

Some friends of mine bought a Golden Retriever pup about 8 months ago and they are expecting their first child at the end of the year.

The key with dog and kids is training really.

I grew up with Rotties and Great Danes, and as long as both the kids and the dogs are well trained I don't see any problems.
    Training the dog is an obvious one, but training the kids is equally as important.
    They need to understand how to behave around a dog, no ear or tail pulling, not being rough, no picking up the puppy etc. They need to understand what to do if the pup gets too boisterous (ie: don't scream and run, be calm) get the kids involved in the dogs training so the dog listens to them as well.

Yeah we are aware of the obesity problems as both goldens and labs love their food!! We feed royal canin to our cat, and understand they do a premium food for dogs as well, so we will probably be feeding that, along with some raw foods and vegies too. I'm obese myself and have recently taken up jogging which I just love, so it will be fantastic when the pup is a bit older to go jogging and walking with!

We're unsure now between a golden and a lab :-/

They're both just so beautiful and we have been in contact with a fantastic breeder of golden retrievers, and as I said before I had a lot to do with my neighbour and her two, especially the little boy one she got as a puppy shortly after we moved in next door. He was a terror!! So gorgeous, but as she was not in the best health, this poor pup never got to go for a walk and his only exercise was outside in the yard with the girl golden, so he developed a lot of bad behaviour due to him needing to vent his energy. He swallowed a heap of quilting needles, and she took him to the vets and sure enough, the xray showed all these needles!!! Yet they somehow didn't do any harm!! He also swallowed batteries out of a remote control he chewed up!!

But yeah, a friend and I used to walk them both and take them to the beach, and they were just so lively and really loved the chance to get out and go for a swim! We used to throw a bit if driftwood in the ocean and they used to swim to it and bring it back to us to throw again!! So much fun!

We also are aware of the need for our two young girls to raise them to not touch the dog or his food when he is eating and to not disturb him when he sleeps and such. They will be as involved in raising the pup as we are.

What are the main differences between labs and goldens? Apart from the physical appearance.

Everyone here is so helpful, I really do appreciate it

Thread Information