Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Advice??

I think Lollen is in NSW. It's mentioned in one of her threads.

AWL will help with desexing and placing the puppies in homes if she wants, but she won't get any money back that way.

I reckon it would be great if they could be listed with pet rescue - fantastic website.

In this particular case - I think given the attitude of the previous owners it would be difficult to get papers for the bitch, or for the puppies though they were all supposed to be pedigree. I did originally suggest trying to get hold of the original breeder(s), but I guess that didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    Just an FYI - Lollen rescued the bitch and it was already pregnant and I believe only 3 weeks off welping.

Lollen - Have you tried advertising in the Trading Post...it sometimes gets more exposure than Gumtree. Otherwise as other have suggested try speaking with breed specific rescues or smaller rescues (not RSPCA)

Also having them microchipped, flea and worm treated might be best, as well as possibly dropping the price. Good luck, they are gorgeous I am sure you will find them the right homes.
    It is illegal to sell or re-home a dog in NSW not microchipped and has been for more than 10 years.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

It is illegal to sell or re-home a dog in NSW not microchipped and has been for more than 10 years.
    Anne, have you got a link?

I can't find anything in the NSW companion animals act that says that. It says they have to be identified which they define as "registered" according to the "regulations" but is a big vague about what that means - I guess with the council who passes on the info to the state registry?
    COMPANION ANIMALS ACT 1998

And it doesn't say anything about microchipping.

And dogsNSW suggests that it isn't currently compulsory but they will make it compulsory for registering pedigree dogs with them from January 2012
    Dogs NSW

Oh wait - I found something
    NSW companion animals identificaton regulation
    COMPANION ANIMALS REGULATION 2008 - REG 5 Manner in which category 1 and 2 companion animals are to be identified

Which is some sort of companion document to go with the ACT 1998. I hate law. Bloody semantics.

PS they don't seem to enforce that law much.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 05-04-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Source: COMPANION ANIMALS ACT 1998 - SECT 8 Identification required from 12 weeks of age and before sale

8 Identification required from 12 weeks of age and before sale

(1) A companion animal must be identified as required by the regulations from the time the animal is 12 weeks old.
    (2) A companion animal must not be sold unless it has been identified as required by the regulations (even if it is less than 12 weeks old when it is sold).
    (3) The owner of an animal is guilty of an offence if it is not identified in accordance with subsection (1).

Maximum penalty:

(a) 8 penalty units except in the case of a dangerous or restricted dog, or
    (b) 50 penalty units in the case of a dangerous or restricted dog.

(4) A person who sells an animal in contravention of subsection (2) is guilty of an offence.

Maximum penalty:

(a) 8 penalty units except in the case of a dangerous or restricted dog, or
    (b) 50 penalty units in the case of a dangerous or restricted dog.

(5) The regulations may change the age from which a companion animal is required to be identified under subsection (1) from 12 weeks to any other age (either generally for all companion animals or for a particular kind or class of companion animal).
    Note. The term “sell” extends to the transfer of ownership by any means, including by gift. This section requires an animal to be identified before it is sold no matter what the age of the animal when it is sold.

70 Identification

(1) The regulations may make provision for the identification of companion animals:
    (a) for the purposes of section 8, or
    (b) otherwise than for the purposes of that section.
    (2) In particular the regulations may provide for the following:
    (a) the manner in which companion animals are identified,
    (b) the procedures to be followed in connection with the identification of companion animals,
    (c) the accreditation of persons to carry out identification of companion animals and the duties of those persons in connection with identification.
    (3) The regulations are to specify the information that is to be the identification information for companion animals for the purposes of this Act. The identification information for a companion animal is to be entered on the Register but entry of that information does not of itself constitute registration of the animal.
    Note. The purpose of entering identification information is to ensure that any available identification details for a companion animal are kept on the Register even before the animal has to be registered, so that the information can be used to trace the owner of the animal.

And this (source: Home - Division of Local Government)
    New law protects pets and people
    In NSW, around 80,000 dogs and cats are lost, hurt or stolen each year. Most are impounded and are not able to be identified. Because they cannot be reunited with their owners, they may be destroyed. The Companion Animals Act was introduced by the NSW Government in 1998 to protect pets, their owners and the broader community.
    It's a two step process
    Under the Act, all owners of puppies and kittens must taketwo stepsto provide lifetime protection for their pet. These 'two steps' will help return your pet to you if it is lost, hurt or stolen.
    Once microchipped and registered, your pet is protected for life.
    As a rescuer, based in NSW, it was wise of me to be well versed on laws pertaining to animals in our state.

And for some history;

NSW is the first state in Australia to introduce compulsory microchipping for dogs and cats. The legislation which governs microchipping in this state is the Companion Animals Act 1998, and Companion Animals Regulation 1999.

The current Act replaced the Dog Act of 1966 and, when introduced in NSW on 1 July 1999, provided a number of new initiatives:
    • for the first time companion animals legislation applied across all of NSW – all councils applying the same legislation,
    • for the first time all registration fees were set by the Regulation – no council could charge more, or less,
    • for the first time cats were recognised under legislation and councils were given powers to deal with them and,
    • for the first time, compulsory microchipping and the need for lifetime registration.

This is a two step process, with identification with a microchip by 12 weeks of age, point of sale, or change of ownership, whichever occurs first. Lifetime registration is required by 6 months of age.
    Source: Maree Garrett, Dept Local Government NSW

I really like the idea of life time registration. Having to do it annually is a PITA.

I do get as much discount as possible for my dog for being 1. desexed, 2. microchipped, 3. obedience trained.

Yes, lifetime registration is fabulous. In all reality it is very cheap too given it is a once off fee.

So now you can see from the above info that Lollen MUST microchip the pups at the very least before sale. It is fabulous that she kindly took on the bitch and assisted her with whelping. Now she needs to do the right thing and follow the law by mircochipping them before sale. They should also be vaccinated. If Lollen didn't have the means to abide by the law, then the bitch and pups should have immediately been transferred to someone who could. There is no point only 'half' doing a job and breaking the law whilst doing it.
    Last edited by Anne; 05-05-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Life time rego is fantastic! $40 for a desexed dog or and $150 for entire (well that's what I paid for each of mine.

In NZ it was costing me $75 a year...which I never did *oops*

Just this link to add to Annes post about lawful identification in NSW:

COMPANION ANIMALS REGULATION 2008 - REG 5 Manner in which category 1 and 2 companion animals are to be identified

COMPANION ANIMALS REGULATION 2008 - REG 5

Manner in which category 1 and 2 companion animals are to be identified

(1) The identification of a category 1 or category 2 companion animal is to be by means of the implantation in the animal of a microchip of a type or specification approved by the Director-General by order published in the Gazette.

(2) The implantation is to be subcutaneous in the dorsum between the scapulae in such a way that the microchip lies at an oblique angle to the plane of the skin. The microchip must function properly.

(3) Different types or specifications of microchip may be approved from time to time.

(4) The Director-General may, by order published in the Gazette, withdraw the approval of a type or specification of microchip.

(5) A microchip implanted before the publication of an order withdrawing the approval of that type or specification of microchip remains a microchip of an approved type or specification notwithstanding the withdrawal.

Default amstaffs

hi all i own 3 american staffies 2 come from andonas kennels directly and the other one comes from andonas lines. how come when i go on to the pedigree registra i can trace my dogs bloodlines back to the 1940's.
    i know these dogs that theo breed are larger than most amstaffs but that is due to selective breeding as far as any slander of him being a puppy mill maybe you should do your reasearch puppy mills are when the parents are kept in cages and only bread with one dog were as theo has acres of property for his dogs and the arent kept in cages 24/7. andonas kennels selectivley breed to better the breed and creat a larger more desirable dog.
    as far as dog breeders go we have never had such amicable dealings and positive advise and assistance and willingness to answer even the most trivial questions as what we have had with our multiple dealings with theo.

Thread Information