Thread: Intergrating a Pup - Territorial Little Male

Default Intergrating a Pup - Territorial Little Male

Long time reader, first time poster, etc...

I've got a question that i'm sure many people before me have asked (albeit with slightly varying circumstances!) around bringing a puppy into the mix at our place.

We have a 3 y.o. pom/chihuahua male that is used to dominating our household. He seems very protective of us and will have a go at other dogs when he is on the lead or they come into our yard, yet everytime we take him to a doggy day care/groomer/kennels they say he is brilliantly behaved and playful (and we have sneakily observed some of this behaviour without him knowing we were there)...

My question is - how much trouble do you think we would have bringing a pup in? are there better techniques than others to intergrate them? I would imagine ideally a neutral area would be best for them to meet?
    Also would we be better off bringing in another male or female?

Really appreciate any help i can get on this, i'm sure you have all heard these type of questions plenty of times before!

If he is well behaved at the groomer's it may be your own behaviour that is triggering his aggression/protection! Is he desexed? Either way, since it seems you have a territorial male, I would go for a female. Dog/bitch combinations are far less likely to fight or have issues than a bitch/bitch or dog/dog pair. Speaking from experience! Our second and third dogs were bitches after the first one (also a bitch) and we had rank issues from day one. The first girl has since passed (RIP) but Mischa and Cleo still have a tiff from time to time, especially if a lap or food is involved. Our two males were numbers four and five and they get along like a house on fire, but Carl's best mate is Mischa.

like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

Hi Sierra, thanks so much for your reply.

yes i suppose it could be our behaviour, I've always tried to follow instructions an obedience trainer told me a few years ago, but it absolutely could be our actions!

Thanks for the tip, a female sounds the way to go - appreciate it.

I would get any issues with your current dog sorted out before introducing a pup. It's not fair for you to get a puppy only to have your other dog jealous, protective and possibly attacking your puppy and you having to rehome it. It's not fair on you, not on your current dog and it's completely unfair to the pup.

I would suggest you go back to obedience school with your current dog, and follow NILIF (Here's a link: Nothing in Life is Free). If you can organise a behaviourist, but I think that (without actually seeing the behaviour, just from what you've described) these two small changes in your lifestyle and household will have a massive impact on changing your dogs behaviour.

Dogs need mental stimulation as well as physical and while taking him/her for a walk is great, they need more than that.

Training is an amazing way to build a better, more beneficial bond between you and your dog. It's also a lot of fun, providing you let yourself enjoy it. When you're in the training classes, focus on your dog, your dog isn't everyone elses dog, not all learn at the same speed and not all get it immediately.

You are your dogs world, enrich his life and he will in turn enrich yours!

Good luck with it all and please keep us updated!

OK, my big dog Barney is not a fan of other dogs when out walking on a lead and will charge and lunge etc. He is a big boy at 40kgs so it can be a little embarrassing. However he wa always fine to play with other dogs in our backyard and when he stayed in the kennel. So slightly similar to your story but also a touch different.

We introduced a wee foxy/shih tzu mix female and we didnt do anything special.

We picked Pippi up and brought her home. We let her run round the house for ten minutes then we brang Barney in from outside and just let em meet.

This probably is not the recommended way to do it but its the only way we do it. We dont make a big fuss. We just bring the new pup in and after a few minutes of sniffing round the house the old dog is brought in to meet.

Although with one dog the old dog came to pick him up and they meet immediately in the car (she was so placid we knew there woud be no problems lol)

What works for me personally i not making a fuss about it. We just expect our old dogs to accept a new pup and it seems to work for us.

Id agree with the earlier poster and get a female.

Sorry to say, but massive alarm bells are ringing for me. The OP's dog has no issues when his owners are away from him, but when they are around him, including in their home he is aggressive towards other dogs.

Dog/Bitch combination can have just as many issues as Dog/Dog or Bitch/Bitch - particularly when the household dynamics are already out of whack.

I'm not saying never get another dog, nor am I trying to be negative in any way, I don't believe it would be in your, or your current dogs' best interests to introduce another dog until you are on top of your current dogs issues. I think to do so is to ask for problems to arise.

I do understand that, Angela, and did point it out, but if they consult a behaviourist and get the current dog's behaviour under control, they would still be best off with a dog/bitch combination. Bitches will often fight to the death with each other, and they hold a grudge. If it happens once it'll happen again. Dogs tend to fight, then forget and go back to being best friends. Given the choice, I would rather have a dog/dog pair than a bitch/bitch. If the female is the aggressor in a dog/bitch combo there will be problems, but male dogs are far less likely to pick a fight with a female.

like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

Rural NSW

In my household..2 desexed bitches and an entire male the few fights have been between the dog and a bitch.
    I feel that how things go will depend on the chemistry between the dogs over time.
    I have a friend who dog sits in her own home, by that I mean all inside. Has 4 dogs of her own, 3 long time fosters and introduces new dogs into the mix all the time. Today, over Easter she has 16 dogs there all together. There are pens if she is forced to separate any dogs.
    I have stayed the a few times and there has never been a problem that I have seen.
    She takes great care to introduce a new dog into the mix.

SD, if I was in your position and determined to get a second dog I think too I would go with a similar sized female (despite what I said earlier)

I would be inclined to find one through a rescue, possibly have your dog there to help choose and make sure you can have a trial period to see how things work out.
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 04-25-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thread Information