So I have an 8 month Rhodesian Ridgeback x bitch that I love very much, but she causes quite a few headaches. Lets go through them one by one, some not so much problems as queries.
1. Ridiculous energy levels - I know RRs have very high endurance but this dog just doesn't get tired! In the morning I take her for a 30-40 minute walk/jog depending on what I have to do that day. It doesn't get her tired at all but she generally sleeps all day after it. If she doesn't get it she will destroy the yard though. In the evening I walk her 10 minutes to the park where there's a big community of dogs. We all walk around the park together and the dogs all wrestle and chase each other around (her with 10x the intensity of the others). This will be at least 45 minutes so by the time I get home she's had an hour of exercise/fun. She then gets fed and goes to sleep. Problem is, at around 11pm or when I'm ready for bed, she's wide awake and ready to play again! I know no one can help me on this on, I'm just venting.
2. Destroying the backyard - I couldn't care less about the backyard, but I live with my mother and her partner who care about the yard very much. We've now had to resort to tying my dog up at night because she does so much damage to the gardens and lawns. She digs holes anywhere they can be dug and she eats plants, one time she literally tore a 2 metre tree out of the ground. I've been using vix on the plants which seems to work, as does filling holes up with her own poo. But she'll still have a go at anything she can get to. The tying up at night is going OK, she is crazy active when I get up but that's fine. But I'd rather her not be tied up at all. I have a good rotation of toys for her but she doesn't seem interested in them unless someone is playing with them with her. Any one else had similar problems?
3. Recall - She's had training and she was excellent in everything we did. But as soon as we leave the house she is pretty terrible. She is friendly to a fault and will try and get at any one or thing that passes us when we walk, or anyone at the park. But the main problem is the recall. At training she would come back to me all the time. At the park she'll come back, but it could take 3 hours. If there's someone more interesting to attend to, she'll ignore me until she's done playing. I have treats that she loves but if she can't smell them she doesn't care. It's quite annoying.
4. Random timidness - This is the major problem at the moment. At around 6 months old she began acting really weird to some people. There is no pattern to it. One day we'll walk past an old man and she'll be normal, wanting to jump all over the man, but nothing out of the ordinary. The next day we'll pass another old man doing nothing differently and she'll freak out. Sometimes it's kids, one time it was a lady wheeling her bin in. One time she even freaked out at a garage roller door opening, and we have a garage roller door at home! She doesn't really get aggression, but she lets out a deep bark and looks extremely concerned. If she's off lead she'll run at the person, stopping just short then running back, and so forth. It's quite odd. I've been told it's a phase some dogs go through during the 6-10 month period so I hope that's all it is.
5. Chasing everything - As I said, we go to an off-leash park and she runs around freely. But lately I've had to have her on leash around children because she goes up to to them and if they freak out she'll freak out as well and if they run she'll chase. She knocked over a little boy the other week and since then I haven't let her off leash with small kids around. She does the same with small dogs. If dogs don't want to play with her she will leave them alone, but a lot of smaller dogs will start to run and she can't help herself. Even if the small dogs do want to play, she's too big (close to 30kg) and doesn't realise it, so she hurts them.
I think that's about it
Any help/advice/comments would be appreciated.