My dad and I have constantly been arguing over Milo's bad habits and he is completely fed up with him. I find this quite lazy of him as he only knows how to complain but not try fix anything.
So Milo has quite a few bad habits which we can't seem to get rid of.
1. He likes shoes. No matter how high we place them on appropriate furniture and places, he still goes looking for them then starts chewing on them. I think he's gained this habit as he manages to get our attention (not so much a good attention) whenever he does this so he just continues it. Whenever we try to get the shoe off Milo, he thinks it's a game and starts running away. From this, we weren't able to do the 'usual' methods of 'punishment':
- time out > he just runs too fast we can't catch him to even put him on time out.
- ignoring him (so he knows this doesn't grab our attention so he can stop doing it) > he ends up mauling the shoe instead.
- any form of light smacking > again, he runs away thinking it's a game.
This normally happens when no one has been playing with him for 10 minutes. Sometimes it's immediately after we stop playing with him because we need to study/cook/watch TV (he doesn't watch TV with us... always demands attention and some action).
2. He deliberately goes to places in the house he knows he isn't allowed to go to. For example, upstairs or the formal couch (which he has not yet destroyed). We made it clear that he isn't allowed up/on there from the very beginning as we used the 'time out punishment' and blocking his access. But for the past fortnight, he seems to do whatever he pleases despite still receiving 'punishment' and big loud "no"s.
So yeah... I'd like to be able to train this behaviour out of him since I'm just getting sick of arguments. Need to keep in mind though - my dad will not cooperate. He will always roll his eyes, complain, and go on saying how much money he's losing from Milo just being a dog.