Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Raw Foods

Default Info on Raw Foods

after reading several posts on the benefits of feeding raw im considering doing it, but would like a little bit more info on what i should be doing for my 2 rotties
    harley male - 16months old - 48kgs
    lily female - 14 months old - 43kgs
    there is one place that i know of in my area where you can buy fresh meat for dogs, they sell lots of different kinds including
    puppy mince - fatty
    beef mince
    diced beef
    minced chicken
    chicken and veg
    minced roo
    prob more thats just of the top of my head

here's a few questions i have if anyone can answer them i would really appreciate it
    1. what is the best meat kind to feed them
    2. what else do i need to feed them (kibble/suppliments) so they get everything that they need in their diets
    3. how much is a suitable amount to feed each day
    4. should i mix the meat with rice or pasta

i use to buy puppy mince when they were younger and cook and mix with rice but it use to stink out my house so i stopped cooking it.

im not going to change tessa as: 1 she is finally happy and healthy eating her current food and 15 years old and fussy as-(skin good)
    2 she wont eat raw foods unless someone else wants it

i only want to do the best i can for my dogs i love them dearly, at the moment i know im spending too much on the rotties food ($405 for 6 weeks including worming) and i will be changing their diet when i work out what is the best for them

if anyone has any other advise about feeding rotties raw or not i would appreciate.
    they are young still and want their growing joints to have the best i can do forthem while developing

Hi i'm new to feeding a raw diet. Altho my Shelley is a golden retriever no where near as large as a rottie. When feeding raw you feed 80% meat 10% bone 10% organ normally start out at 2- 3% of the dogs body weight. I want my Shelley to weigh roughly 28-30kgs so i started feeding at 2% so she gets 570grams of food a day. Shelley gets a variety of meat each day. I give her either a chicken maryland,pet mince,half a heart that is one meal. The next day she may get lamb with a bone in the middle,beef chunks of meat and pet mince. With organs i plan to feed once a week eg liver and kidney, I also plan on feeding fish once a week and a whole egg once a week. Shelley has only been eatting a raw diet for 2 days today is her third day. If your dog isn't use to eatting lamb,beef,pork start with chicken and keep him/her on chicken for a week or 2 then slowly start introducing other meats. My Shelley is used to eatting lamb,beef,pork and turkey so i know i can feed those start away. I hope this has helped you in someways.

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Default Feeding dogs

Feeding raw foods can work well but it takes more information than a post on the net! Do some reading, there are heaps of resources on the net and some good books (some raw enthusiasts will chime in with recommmendations I'm sure). Be warned, it can be a controversial and almost cult-like topic with some very strong and at times conflicting opinions.
    It sounds like you are thinking about a mix of raw food and dog food (which suggests you haven't read much as most of the advocates are very anti-dog food). This is a great way to feed and has definite benefits for health and convenience. Feeding raw can take a lot of effort.
    If you just want to add some raw food to a commercial diet, I'd suggest adding some meaty bones like chicken frames, necks, wings, brisket bones, and organs like heart (depending on the size of the dog) to add variety and give dental exercise.

I understand that it takes more than a few posts on here to know what to feed them / correctly.since I posted this I have googled it and looked around but there are so many opinions on the topic. Im interested in peoples opinions on good diets.

Rural NSW

I cover my backside with a mix of dry food as well as some raw daily, or sardines, or suitable table scraps. I like doing this so I do not have the responsibility of making sure all nutrition needs are met. I would hate to think I was depriving them of essential elements. I also do not cook foods for them as their guts are set up for raw. Just my opinion. It has worked for me for over 30 years with long living dogs and very few vet trips needed except for routine things.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

6. Default

Feeding raw can be a little time-consuming but, considering the benefits, I believe it's worthwhile.
    I strongly support your decision and if you don't know where to begin here are some raw dog food recipes.
    Find out how I feed my dog!

Well I have gone back to feeding kibble to Shelley as I found she had no energy on a raw diet, I've also noticed her coat has gone dull in colour. She is still raw meat and bones but i'm also feeding her kibble too. I don't think raw was giving her what she needed. Shelley use to be very energetic but now she won't even move much at all.

we are in Australia and feed the frozen ready made BARF patties, or kangaroo mince with organ meat, a raw egg once a week, a tin of sardines with oil once a week, chicken necks a couple of times a week. The BARF patties have veggies in them and we sometimes give leftover fruit/veg scraps- but only in small amounts. Lamb bones, beef marrow bones and kangarroo tail also.
    Rarely we use eaglepac kibble. I would love to find a kibble with NO grains but am finding it difficult.
    We have a beagle who eats anything and everything so swapping around is no problem at all.
    We reduced his feeds from 2 a day to one and he has lost 2kg over the last 2 mths which is great. He is 14.5kg now.
    The more I read about grains and dogs the more we try to avoid them. For us feeding this way has helped Roscoes arthritis and chronic ear infections- both 100% better.

I add a multi vit/sachas blend every day and twice a week a fish oil and Vit E.

middle of nowhere

I just feed mine whatever the butcher has when I go there, could be mince, chicken frames whatever, but I always have his bowl full of dry food and he gets an extra meal every second morning ( meat, rice, pasta, chicken wings or whatever we have at the time) - used to be every day when he was a pup but as stopped growing he wouldn't eat as much and would leave some in the bowl. when it all comes down to it he is a dog he will eat anything i don't fuss around with 12% this and 34% that, this way he eats what he wants when he wants, so he isn't protective of his food and he doesn't guts it down.

the way I look at it is wolves and dingoes are healthy and survive and they eat whatever they can find.

Last edited by jonbax; 04-23-2011 at 08:00 PM.

the way I look at it is wolves and dingoes are healthy and survive and they eat whatever they can find.
    You haven't seen the dingos I've seen. Or what was left of the soap and washing up gloves (nothing).

I don't think they live long happy lives unless they're foraging for babies at a tourist resort.

Thread Information