Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robot Dog - Vent!

Rural Western Australia

Dogs that excel in agility and obedience and other dog sports are never robots. They are just incredibly tuned in to very consistent handling and are usually part of an amazing partnership with their handlers. It amazes me how my youngsters really very quickly learn what a wide range of complex cues mean and can put it together under pressure in a trial ring. They are definitely not robots, just your regular fun loving dogs that love working and trailing with their person.

Staffies are very popular family dogs over here, and besides I always thought they were known for their love of people. I have met plenty of sweet, nutty, full on staffies but never met one nasty towards people.

Training dogs should be encouraged, way too many are dumped at the pound and euthanaised because they wernt.

Thanks guys

Dog racism is one of my biggest annoyances. It really gets to me, that people can't see past their own ignorance.

I think training and obedience can be a valuable way to deepen the bond between dog and human. You are working on improving communication and creating a shared language that will not only mean a better behaved dog, but one who is able to know what you require of it in a lot of different situations. So many dogs are delighted to have 'work' to do and feel they are doing something significant. They aren't content to sit around the yard and do bugger all. (I'm not saying couch potato dogs aren't wonderful as well, lol).

As for the Staffy thing - get us all a vomit bag, we can all fill it and pour it over the next person who whinges at you about Staffies!

Funny, I ran into it today, although it came via a back-handed compliment. A friend met my five month old Amstaff, who could melt hearts at a hundred metres (IMHO) and sighed, saying, ...."if all staffies were like yours....." I promptly replied that her temperament was typical of staffies in general. It triggered a conversation about how humans are ultimately responsible for their dog's behaviour toward others. As Dexter's owner will confirm, other types of dog are seen as harmless and indulged in their antisocial behaviour. Excuses such as the dog is small, cute, fluffy, etc. flow like water.

Also, I've noticed that the natural play style of staffies at our dog park can be completely misread by those with more sedate dogs - often when their dog is not even involved. Other breeds that seem to trigger suspicion are the northern breeds, due to their independent nature. I do limit my time at the dog park because the common over-reactions and emotions get to me. Not that I am some sort of dog behaviour guru, but some people are not seeing the dynamics in front of them. They just call the results out of emotion and usually come down in defence of their own dog. I like to go when the regulars are there, so we can enrich each others' knowledge. Just this morning, I had a dog pestering one of mine and despite the intensity escalating, the owner carried on chatting as though nothing was happening. My dog was getting jack of his dog and yet I was impelled to step in and block the other dog because his owner would have only noticed the issue when it was too late and most probably have blamed my dog, who had spent a good ten minutes setting moderate boundaries for his.

Getting back to training and obedience though, what was the divide in this situation? It was prior training of my dog. His ability to listen and "leave it" and then "come", then accept being put on the lead and away from the other dog (while getting some yummy treats) meant that a potential disaster was averted. The other dog had no such advantage - he had no idea what was expected of him and seemed confused that his attempts at play were not going down well. The owner had little in the way of language to convey to his dog what needed to change and less ability to have the dog cooperate with him. He instead got annoyed at me and his dog (passive agressively, by treating me as though I was overreacting) and left. The dog learnt nothing. The same dog was very respectful and reserved when he started coming. I haven't seen him for a few months and obviously he hasn't been desexed and has learnt to try and hump and use other dominant behaviour to relate to other dogs. I have to say, my training ability is only basic and my dogs are nowhere near robotic. They have annoyed plenty of people at the dog park. (Hey when you arrive with more than two dogs it's almost a given and now the dogs are bigger, the most I will take at a time is four, lol).

Go for as much training and obedience as possible, I say!

Good on you!

Dogs I can take all day long, it's people that drive me crazy, lol.

Thread Information