Thread: Sudden Chewing / Destroying Objects and Furniture, 17 Weeks Old - Help!

Default Sudden Chewing / Destroying Objects and Furniture, 17 Weeks Old - Help!

In the past three days our 17 weeks old pup has taken to chewing things other than her toys. She has suddenly been climbing on furniture and picking things off tables to destroy. Tonight, worst of all, she unzipped and unpacked the filling from our rather expensive garden furniture cushions and pulled most of the buttons off. I think she ate four cushion buttons and half of a koala keyring toy too.

This was despite having plenty of toys around, plus the remains of several bones, and even plenty of digging opportunities.

Up until now she has been excellent in this respect - very trustworthy when spending an hour or two in the garden or living room by herself, i.e. with us elsewhere in the house, or out. Now, suddenly, it's as though we cannot leave her unsupervised for even a short time.

How should we respond to this?! What's happened to our smart, civilised pup? Will we really have to go back to confining our now rather big (13kg) pup in her pen when we are not in line of sight?! She has not been confined, other than during the night, since she was 9 weeks old, and has been superb until now.

Who's Ya Doggy? Dog Breed Guide. The best on the internet!

Signature approved by moderator

really sorry to sound cold but you should probably get used to it. create an area free from temptation. and keep your pup there while unsupervised.

i hope your dog doesnt turn out like my 2 and become chewers of everything.
    my 2 rotties 1+ year old still chewers
    Last edited by tessalyon; 02-13-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

northern NSW

If you are at home during the time of the attacks, perhaps you could use a tether. Clip a lead to the dog and yourself. That way your dog can't get into any mischief without you knowing about it. If you are away, I suggest that you confine your dog to any area where there is the least temptation. I know I used the bathroom for my girl when she was a pup, larger than a crate, and nearly indestructable. or she ran riot through the house, destroying anything and everything she came into contact with.. That was despite being well fed, well exercised, and I thought I had provided enough toys and diversions for her.

Rural NSW

Puppy proof as much as possible and having an area that she can be confined to or something like a wire dog run (where she is tethered to a wire that runs a certain distance so there is room for running up and down) when unable to be supervised should help. Having chewing alternatives helps too, bones, a kong etc.
    Puppies chew, some adults do as well and I am afraid that it can be a fact of life that we have to work around for benefit to all.

I raised two pups together and they are now 15 months old. Being ill, I preferred the quick fix instead of working on training as that is what suited us and them.

Problem was solved and all are happy.

In your case I would consider keeping the outdoor cushions stored and bring them out when being used.
    I would consider ways of keeping her from jumping on furniture by having the chairs pushed in under the table when not in use.
    I would consider using a water pistol, spray bottle squirt when I was out there and she did it, along with a stern NO.
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 02-13-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Yes, puppy proof as much as you can and think of anything that could be chewed - electrical cords, clothing, furniture (many couches are just one big lump of foam filling).

Crate training is still an option and is a good back up training tool to teach the dog to be calm and sleep when you're out. Make sure you exercise before a prolonged crate stay and get onto a good programme for crate training first.

Puppies have a strong urge to chew in response to teething pain and they don't always discriminate until taught, by using a water pistol and 'no' for example. I actually had to limit the toys my guys have to indestructable stuff, like stuffed kongs and thick rope toys. Anything with fluffy guts would die horribly on the end of four puppies pulling in opposite directions. If only there was a competion for that kind of thing, lol!

Also, giving raw chicken necks can meet some chewing needs (make sure you supervise) and help develop healthy teeth.

I think I read somewhere that shredding toys or other things which then spill filling out is the equivalent of hunting and ripping up a carcass after hunting, so that would be a pretty strong urge too.

Good luck,

wow this sounds exactly like us!!
    Our very well behaved non chewing rarely and only little hole digger 16.5 week old ridgy x mastiff has in the last day become a shocker!!!!!
    I will admit, i didnt walk him today where as every other day up till now he has been walked but it was over 38 degrees here today and is still over 30 currently so i thought it best not to... just dont know what to do! i played with him, gave him things to chew on, but as soon as they were gone he was back to naughty things!

what kind of exercise is the puppy getting? Seems like could do with some more. Especially in the morning. Maybe 20 to 30 minutes... but not a lot more until she's older (ie roughly 5 minutes per month of age). But you could do a session in the morning, and one in the evening and maybe another at lunchtime.

I'm willing to bet it is also teething so you will need to get her stuff to chew that's ok. I have been known to buy toys (for under 3s ie no buttons or choking hazards) for dog to destuff and old cushions and pillows.

I've been told that they can't tell the difference between their stuff and your stuff but I'd dispute that.

I would also try to increase the novelty value of the toys that you do have by putting all but two or three away, and changing the two or three each day.

And something like a squirrel dude that you can load with dry kibble and takes a lot of chewing work to get it out may help.

And carrots. My dog gets carrots.

And I used to put her in a metal crate (look up crate training) when I was out or unable to supervise or she wouldn't leave me alone when I was cooking dinner (boiling water on dog - not good).

Thread Information