Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Triangle of Temptation

Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    yes but positive association is easier with a clicker
    K9: I dont feel thats true at all. Many more people hav dogs that get excited about the leash than those who have dogs that get excited about a clicker.

as a lot of people tell their dogs off with "NO" or "BAD" etc. Dogs scared of clickers can be brought around - there are clickers with different levels of sound - you can get them all the way down to inaudible to the human ear.
    K9: Yep & the voice comes with all levels of adjustment right out of the box.

At any rate, they are just another tool, but they are probably higher on my list to use first than yours. Different strokes for different folks
    K9: Yep I hope they work well for you & the people that come to you for training
    Steve Courtney, K9 Pro - The K9 Professionals

www.k9pro.com.au

Official Forum Trainer and Behaviourist

Steve, never had a disatisfied customer when I was training using clickers, but the fact is that these days I have a real job as you well know Perhaps one day I will return to it, perhaps not. Either way I am happy and from everything I've heard about you here you are too - as I said, horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    Steve, never had a disatisfied customer when I was training using clickers, but the fact is that these days I have a real job
    K9: I never considered myself not "really" working because I am a trainer, you live & learn.

as you well know
    K9: I don't know? Never knew you trained for a job either? but wasn't looking to find out I guess.
    Steve Courtney, K9 Pro - The K9 Professionals

www.k9pro.com.au

Official Forum Trainer and Behaviourist

One lives and learns regardless of whether they are a trainer or not lol, and really, you shouldn't make assumptions - neither of us should

Perhaps another thread should be started for clicker training?

If you are willing Occy you can offer your teqniques, advice and training experience with members regarding clicker training.

I am sure people are interested, me included.

I would prefer to focus on TOT in this thread and value the advice given.

Nic

"There is enough love and concern for animals in every community to overcome the irresposibility of the few"
    Nathan Winograd.

Quote Originally Posted by k9force View Post
    K9: I would start with all dogs at once, one after the other, the order to be decided on what works best with the Alpha.
    Great...In terms of new dogs coming into the pack (rescue dogs) what length of time would you allow for them to settle (if any) before beginning training/TOT?

I do run separate packs at times, depending on the dynamics and circumstances though i know people who succesfully run one pack in a multi dog household with no problems. (10+)

Nic

"There is enough love and concern for animals in every community to overcome the irresposibility of the few"
    Nathan Winograd.

Am only sticking my beak in to wave to Nic -

Good reading in this thread... Thanks Steve for all your time.

Thank you veyr much for this training guide.

My pup does sit/lay down and wait for my cue to eat her food, even if she has to wait for over 5 minutes.

So do I now move on to other things like you said, open door/toy and etc?

Great training info Steve...thanks

Just bumping this one - it might help a new member.

Maybe it can be made into a sticky?

Thread Information