Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Triangle of Temptation

Fedra - I disagree. Clicker, though initially more difficult than using your voice, is far quicker. I'm a woman. I can multitask...I can have food, target stick, clicker and dog and still be able to answer the phone LOL. However, that is based on experienced. I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him

Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    Fedra - I disagree. Clicker, though initially more difficult than using your voice, is far quicker.

K9: They also frighten a lot of dogs & are very limited in the adjustments you can make to the sound of the click, whereas with our voice, one would assume that your dogs are already tuned to our voice & we can elevate or decrease tones to suit the moment.

You always have your voice with you, may not always have a clicker.

I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him
    K9: Just like the ,majority of people will pick up a leash & their dog will know or think its walk time. Pairing happens with many things even an old pair of sneakers.
    Steve Courtney, K9 Pro - The K9 Professionals

www.k9pro.com.au

Official Forum Trainer and Behaviourist

I have found clicker training interesting, and it would suit some people....I can see the benefits for some people.

Personally i prefer my voice...clicker training does not suit me here as i am so time poor and would definately be without a clicker at times!

The simpler the better for me personally. I dont want to rely on having a clicker to get results.

Besides, I have a great acreage yell "apparently'!!

Nic

"There is enough love and concern for animals in every community to overcome the irresposibility of the few"
    Nathan Winograd.

Hi Steve

We have a female PB Kelpie who came from two working parents...so very receptive, with her finger on the pulse every second of the day.

When she was a puppy i had very little recall during the times she was in prey drive...(or rounding something up!)

She heard me, but would dismiss me. So i began to watch for the first signs of her responding to me, which was when she would turn her "radar" ears to hear my command (while heading in the opposite direction). I started verbally praising this with a low toned 'good girl' low and behold she would then turn toward me, and i had recall!

Just wondering what your thoughts were. I am looking forward to the day when i can come along to a K9 Force workshop!!!

Nic

L

"There is enough love and concern for animals in every community to overcome the irresposibility of the few"
    Nathan Winograd.

Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    Fedra - I disagree. Clicker, though initially more difficult than using your voice, is far quicker. I'm a woman. I can multitask...I can have food, target stick, clicker and dog and still be able to answer the phone LOL. However, that is based on experienced. I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him
    That's fine Occy, I said, "for me anyway". I must agree with k9 in a way that majority of dogs are tuned to our voice. However, some are not and clicker is somehow good distraction tool. Dogs are different. And gosh! How many times I dropped it or did something in that crucial moment when I was supposed to click it! With voice... it's just here!

I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him
    That's one thing I don't like about clicker. When I pick up clicker, my dog gets all excited and concentrates on what follows the click, and that's food. So, yes, I use clicker for fine tuning if I should call it that , and it's great, but not as one and only thing, not as something exclusive. I really do prefer voice, and I want my dog to be focused on me and me only, not on some clicking thing.
    Last edited by Fedra; 03-31-2009 at 04:06 PM.

I'm just suggesting it is a tool to be encouraged. It works with marine animals, it works with intellectually disabled children, and it works with many out of control dogs.

I realise the concept of association steve, I have probably had more training in psychology than most (aside from psychologists) so I know why he reacts to it, but it is a lovely thing nonetheless.

Another question Steve, sorry.

In a household with more than one dog/multiple dogs is the TOT best begun with the dominent dog...or all dogs at the same time?

I am thinking all dogs together so as not to upset the balance and have them all heading in the same direction together.

Nic

Nathan Winograd.

B: We have a female PB Kelpie who came from two working parents...so very receptive, with her finger on the pulse every second of the day.

When she was a puppy i had very little recall during the times she was in prey drive...(or rounding something up!)

She heard me, but would dismiss me. So i began to watch for the first signs of her responding to me, which was when she would turn her "radar" ears to hear my command (while heading in the opposite direction). I started verbally praising this with a low toned 'good girl' low and behold she would then turn toward me, and i had recall!

Just wondering what your thoughts were. I am looking forward to the day when i can come along to a K9 Force workshop!!!
    K9: hey Billy, as long as it worked that is the main thing. There certainly is a good & a bad time to issue commands especially in the learning stages of any exercise.

It is also very worthwhile to encompass her drive to get the commands effective also.

A training in drive workshop will be of great benefit to you.

Were thinking of running a once a month 4 hour session for a small group, may be a weeknight or a weekend, not sure at this stage.

O: I'm just suggesting it is a tool to be encouraged. It works with marine animals, it works with intellectually disabled children, and it works with many out of control dogs.
    K9: As mentioned it has its benefits, & its short comings. It wont ever be added to my program for reasons that I have mentioned.

Marine animals & disabled children are not dogs so that link doesnt really promote the tool for me.
    O: I realise the concept of association steve, I have probably had more training in psychology than most (aside from psychologists) so I know why he reacts to it, but it is a lovely thing nonetheless.
    K9: Yes it is, I mentioned that it was an effect of pairing because it sounded like you were promoting the action as a clicker only thing, when it is an association prospect.

www.k9pro.com.au

B: In a household with more than one dog/multiple dogs is the TOT best begun with the dominent dog...or all dogs at the same time?

I am thinking all dogs together so as not to upset the balance and have them all heading in the same direction together.
    K9: I would start with all dogs at once, one after the other, the order to be decided on what works best with the Alpha.

www.k9pro.com.au

yes but positive association is easier with a clicker as a lot of people tell their dogs off with "NO" or "BAD" etc. Dogs scared of clickers can be brought around - there are clickers with different levels of sound - you can get them all the way down to inaudible to the human ear.

At any rate, they are just another tool, but they are probably higher on my list to use first than yours. Different strokes for different folks

Thread Information