Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the Most Essential Command to Teach Your Dog

Default What is the Most Essential Command to Teach Your Dog

i was doing some thinking today and was wondering what the most essential command to teach your dog would be, at the moment i think the best command that i have taught my dog was to poo and pee on command.

What are your thoughts?

Rural NSW

NO, would be mine as well as widdle widdle. I ask it as a question at times to see if any want to go out when I am already up and passing by the door or it is command to go and have one before bed time. They know the difference.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

NO & that it means stop dead & await instruction...
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

Definitely 'wait' on the one hand, and (to confuse the issue) non-verbal hand signals on the other.

If ever Rosie was to get out or be out of my control, I need to know that she will be controllable from a distance. 'WAIT' was the first thing she mastered, from 'wait' for dinner, to 'wait' for retrieval, even 'wait' while out walking.

Then there is the non-verbals.

For instance, if she happened to get out and be on the other side of a busy road when I found her - I would not risk calling her, I would expect to go to her. An excited dog that has been separated can be a run risk towards their master, so being able to control her by a closed, raised fist as her 'sit' signal is vital.

By learning these, she is one awesome doglet that I am honoured to slave over, and one who is blessed to have never been tested in a real situation.

(and the night-time 'pee pee' is also invaluable too!)

No and sit..

OH can yell out to skip if she is 800m away and tell her to sit and she will sit..

The recall command for sure.

Yup, emergency recall.

Without it, you're without your dog.

Yeh recall is very important but I like to be able to stop them on a dime & not come back neccerly. So I guess it's hard to pick 1 only, lol.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

No emergency recall with sighthounds - that's what leads are for!

Mine know "hurry up" for going to the toilet. Invaluable for when you're travelling etc. No one wants to spend half an hour or more at a roadside rest area waiting for a dog to pee!!

Southern NSW

Wait tends to stop our dogs and because we do not use come with out treats, when we seem to use come, they always come. Come means good-times in this house hold and has saved our dogs from several mishaps
    Pets are forever

Thread Information