Thread: Retrieving a Ball

Default Retrieving a Ball

My pup had a good chase instinct but he had no idea that he was meant to bring things back, this was being reinforced by daughter throwing the ball and then chasing the dog around the yard to try and get it back.
    The first thing I had to do was get my daughter to stop chasing him, which took almost a week.
    Then I got 2 balls, I'd throw one and when he chased it and picked it up I'd call him,at first he would not come back at all so I'd just throw the other ball and when he picked that one up i'd call him and I just kept repeating until he fluked it and came back, when he did I made a big fuss, praised him and threw the other ball.
    After about 2 days he was coming back about 50 % of the time so I started saying give and putting my hand around the ball and just repeated saying give until he let go and then I praised him and threw the ball again, I tried not to make it a tug of war and just waited until his grip loosened before taking the ball. if he didn't give the ball to me in a reasonable time I threw the other ball.
    In less than a week I had him willingly retrieving and releasing 1 ball over 90% of the time.
    In 2 weeks he is almost 100% reliable, but I only do short training games and keep a good eye on him in case his attention starts to wane, if it does I stop the game before he gets distracted.
    I didn't want to use food rewards for the game as the ball seems to be enough motivation and I thought the food might be a distraction.
    The 2 balls method works great, I've had cattle dogs that have taken over a month to get to that stage when trained with 1 ball.

2 ball method is terrific... Only drawback is that some (not all!!) dogs will start to think the game only works that way IF you have two balls.
    The method I use is throw ball 1, dog retrieves and on his way back to me (we start off at tiny distance and increase) I say 'out', as soon as he drops ball 1, ball 2 is released. With Vill it worked a treat teaching the retrieve and the out... Flirtt doesn't get it

If you want 100% success rate on this, make sure your pup brings the ball all the time even it is only once or 100 times. Do not keep picking up the ball for your dog.

You know your dog: find the moment that your dog is interested in retrieving the ball. For instance you go to the park. Then let it have a good wonder and toileting first and start on the ball game. I won't do more than 5 successful repetition at one go to ensure successful retrieving. Then You put the ball away and let it wonder for a while and start again. This way your pup remembers that it needs to bring the ball back to you and it gets your attention in return. You can use treats and/or clicker for this.

If your dog comes half way and stop and sniffing around, you can also say come and catch me and run the opposite direction.
    I love cooking but I love eating even more.

We do the boring method, because we teach water retrieve for rescue. We first teach the dog "take it" (hand the ball to the dog and make them put it in their mouth, click treat). then we teach "hold it" and click treat. And we go on the thank you ( we take it from them and swap for a treat) and we also teach "pick it up"( same again click and treat). Eventually to "fetch".....It is the boring way, but gives a totally reliable retrieve in the long run. The first few fetch we have the dogs on long line and we say "take it" when they get to the item and "hold it" whilst they are brining it back.
    Our dogs will now even fetch and bring it back out of the water and even shake with the item held tight in their mouths. And they give it to us when we say "thank you"
    The one thing I love is training retrieve. A golden would be perfect
    Pets are forever

Quote Originally Posted by Villain & Flirtt View Post
    2 ball method is terrific... Only drawback is that some (not all!!) dogs will start to think the game only works that way IF you have two balls.
    The method I use is throw ball 1, dog retrieves and on his way back to me (we start off at tiny distance and increase) I say 'out', as soon as he drops ball 1, ball 2 is released. With Vill it worked a treat teaching the retrieve and the out... Flirtt doesn't get it
    Yeah the two balls were just to keep the dogs attention for the first 2 or three days.Now he will give it to me when he gets back with it I just use one.

@ Hachna I used a similar technique to yours, In the early stages if he lost interest I'd end the game even if it was just for a few minutes, but now I know the signs I always stop well before that happens. Leaving them wondering is a great technique. It reinforces the lessons they're learning.

Thread Information