Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Tt a Dog That Hates the Rain Please

Question Need Help Tt a Dog That Hates the Rain Please

I have a little fluffball bichon whos has been slow to toilet train however after using the umbillicAl system he seems to have finally gotten it almost most of the time.The glitch is he hates the rain..or after its rained etc..he will pee inside..and poop as well..

Does anyone have some ideas for me in how to get this out of him? I did actually buy an indoor pet loo when i first got him but it was a hit and miss thing and to be honest it wasnt till I got rid of it and installed the pet door and did the umbillicAL training that he finally seemed to get it..mind you it has taken a while for him to stop using the patio as his loo and go on the grass but now he mostly does..then tonight it rains and he pees all over the kitchen floor..I just dont know to deal with this..all my other dogs have always been bigger and didnt care if it was wet or raingining but he does..Im dreading winter..and i cant seem to get him to use the indoor pet loo with any sort of consistency..can anyone please help with any suggestions?
    Pepe our fluffy poochie

Is he peeing because he's scared of the rain or because he doesn't want to go outside? Others probably have better methods, but all my dogs learnt to pee outside when I say "Go" or else they don't come back inside, storming or not. This was for more when they're a bit older. As puppies they were taken outside and praised something else when they went outside, so it's not like it was new to them going outside.

Oh I know this 1 all to well, as I have 1 who refuses to get her feat wet & so did her father.
    I have had to relent & allow a veradah part be used in wet weather & she only use it when it's wet. I put newspaper done & she dose it there which is preferable to my carpet but I would like her to just go out like the rest but she is scared of storms & hates getting her feet wet.
    Not much help to you sorry.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

My opinion (I have never had this problem though) is that maybe you are confusing the dog by being allowed to pee inside (pet loo or not) and now trying outside.
    I think if I was in your situation I would do what CD does so at least the dog knows it has to be outside to toilet all the time with considerations made in wet weather.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thanks for the replies..I should elaberate a bit more..I bought an indoor pet loo and tried to get him to use that in the bathroom when i first bought him home at 9 weeks..just wasnt happening at all so I ended up putting it out the back on the patio and he was trained to go out on the grass and installed a pet door for him so he can get in and out when he needs..he did initilally go on the patio a fair bit when off the leash on his own but seems to have got to the point now where its pretty consistent with being only on the grass..

The pet loo hasnt been used for months and he has been consistemtly trained to go outside to wee since around 16 weeks or so. If the pet loo is given to him he will lay on it like a bed and thats it hes around 7 -8 months now..i am loosing track of his exact age but you get the drift(havent got his papers in front of me right now)..hes not a baby baby and seems to know the drill... he isnt scared of the rain i dont think..he just doesnt like it..doesnt like prickles or rough grass either..hes a little fussy put it that way with some things..hehehe

My patio is covered so its not like he cant go outside at all without getting wet..he just doesnt like it and will pee inside...I dont want to confuse him and really dont know how to get him to use the pet loo for when its wet as I had thought of putting that out on the verandah then if hes really sooky about the rain he can still go outside but stay dry and use the pet loo under cover but as i said..its taken such a long haul to get him to be tt inside and use the lawn I dont want to go down that route if i dont have to iykwim
    Last edited by poooches; 01-21-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: clarifying
    Pepe our fluffy poochie

So will he use the patio when it's raining now or not? If he dose I'd put garabage bags then newpaper on top & encourage that on wet/rainy days. My dogs very very rarely toliet inside but if I now we are going to be gone all day shopping(we have to travel an hr each way) I will put the above done in our bathroom. If anyone really can't last they will use that but if I don't put it down they don't go & exsplode out the door when we get home, so they seem to get it & wont go in the bathroom without the garbage bag & newspaper.

he wont use the patio if its raining.I have had alot of trouble getting him to pee on the grass so dont want to confuse him,he still doesnt have free range of the house and had a thing for peeing on soft surfaces..hes peed in his crate and regressed a fair bit then he was neutered and for the first week afterwards would lay in his bed and just pee not caring at all so im extremely hesitant to change anything...just wandered if anyone knew how to get that dislike of the rain under control..i had thought of getting some fake grass for the patio so hed go there when its wet but still dubious about it...
    Pepe our fluffy poochie

Quote Originally Posted by poooches View Post
    he wont use the patio if its raining.I have had alot of trouble getting him to pee on the grass so dont want to confuse him,he still doesnt have free range of the house and had a thing for peeing on soft surfaces..hes peed in his crate and regressed a fair bit then he was neutered and for the first week afterwards would lay in his bed and just pee not caring at all so im extremely hesitant to change anything...just wandered if anyone knew how to get that dislike of the rain under control..i had thought of getting some fake grass for the patio so hed go there when its wet but still dubious about it...
    There are leather slippers for working dogs to stop the burs maybe they could help as I know with my 1 it's a lot to do with the wet grass feel. Maybe a lightweight raincoat could help if it's about the rain landing on him. I had a dog Nuffy(Poodle/Maltese) that would refuse to go out for a walk without his raincoat when it was raining or even if it had just been raining & was stopped, lol.
    That dosn't sound real good that he has regressed so far with the toliet training, I have always found my pure poodles & most of the x's as well are really easy toliet trainers compared to my big pups.
    Fingers crossed you can fix it & soon as I know how furstrating this particular problem can be.

I have tho opposite problem....Mine won't come out of the rain, they love rain
    Pets are forever

My wee girl Pippi (foxy/shih) was a not liking the rain pup and wouldnt walk anywhere it was wet. I just would stick her on a lead and take her on the wet grass in the rain whether she liked it or not...it's not like she had much choice as a pup on a lead, I was about 60kgs heavier than her so had plenty of weight to pull her out there LOL

Now however, is a different kettle of fish. If we take them out for loo in the rain, I always want them to be quick so they dont get too wet for coming back in, but she will go out there and roll around and jump in the bucket or the pool LOL

Thread Information