Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Puppy Attacked Me Today

At 11 weeks, it probably wasn't an attack per se as much as it was him being a bull breed baby--voracious and full on! Did he growl or bark? That is odd behaviour. I suggest you enlist the help of a behaviourist if you yourself can't identify what set him off.

like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

I have never been attacked by my own dog that way but, My dog is actually pretty big and is still 7 Months old. My dog Thomas has a problem of biting a lot not only me but everyone else around him and everything else around him. He actually even chewed through the bedroom door. Does anyone know what type of specific training would be needed? I really do not want to put a mouth guard on but, I can't help but think I am going to have too.

wow thanks for the replies, very valuable information here.
    Well it has been all good lately, and Mak has been ok, when he tries to bite I have been
    holding his snout and saying NO.
    Or I just walk away and ignore him. It is working well.

I just find it weird that he will not walk with me on the leash??
    He will walk with my husband, and anyone else in the family but me??

Also does anyone know about puppy training????????
    Have searched a bit on the net and it looks so expensive.

Going to the vet next week, he said there is training in our area, so will ask him also.

Yes ask your vet there are often small groups in suburbs who are not too dear.

You must not be firm enough in your manner when trying to walk him, just grab the lead and go, he will have to follow you, if he is walking for others he clearly knows what to do, he is just refusing you, don't 'ask' him to follow in a case like this, just do it slowly and not too far or roughly, but just go, no stopping, he will follow if you are firm in your mind ,and the way you act around him.

Australian Purebred & Crossbreed Dog Forum - Search Results

you're not the only one.

Nothing will get a staffy's mouth off your feet quicker than feet painted with the insect repellant "rid". That's how I accidentally stopped my brother's staffy from licking me all the time.

What were you doing immediately before puppy went beserk? Did you pull on the lead when puppy did not want to go? I went through about three leads before I learned to stop my dog chewing on the lead (vicks vapour rub and no tying the dog up, and investing in a horse rope lead or three).

Try pushing whatever the dog has in it's mouth - further in until he tries to spit it out, hold a second and then allow him to spit you out. Praise heaps when he lets go. Teach him "leave it". Ie say "leave it" and give him a treat when he lets go whatever it is and returns attention to you.

And then there is the water pistol. Avoid using a direct hit if you can. Usually a squirt nearby is enough for a distraction and then heaps of praise when he stops biting.

And have plenty of things around like rope tugs and black kongs and even sticks that you can shove in his mouth for him to chew instead of you and the dog lead.

My dog had temper tantrums when I put her in a halti - she hated it. I just made sure she didn't chew it (water pistol and vicks), and waited her out.

Also general guide for puppy walking - five minutes per month of age. They don't need much walking at 11 weeks old. Longer may be a problem for their growth and joints and if they get a bit sore from the new exercise level they may not look forward to going again. So better to do lots of short play sessions than one long walk until he's older.

You know this may sound dumb but I swear the number 1 thing I try to bring to any interaction with a dog is belief that the dog will do what I am asking of it. I find if I go in doubting my ability to get the dog to do what I want that I always fail but if I can go in beliefing of couse she/he going to respond in such & such way I have alot more sucess. I have to say I am often bluffing & will be full of doubt whilst deciding what to do but as soon as I've decided I am comitted & fully beleive I can do it(or at least I try too).
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

about what your partner does with more success than you...

A lot of that has to do with timing, patience and consistency.

Pay very close attention to the way your partner deals with the dog. How soon he corrects, or redirects or distracts from any undesirable behaviour. And anything that you might be doing that encourages undesirable behaviour or inadvertantly punishes the good behaviour.

Example - recalls.

When I call my dog and she looks up, I tell her "good", and when she comes, I tell her "good dog good dog" all the way back to me, and when she gets there, I give her treats - which treat depends on what she's left (eg came away from playing with dogs - uber treat) and how fast she's come back (slow recall - dog kibble not her uber favourite piece of promite sandwich). I always use a happy high pitched tone. And I sometimes encourage faster recall by running away so she will chase me - which is fun for her.

What some other people do - if the dog eventually comes? They scold it. They push its head in the dirt, they tell it off and growl at it and tell it what a bad dog for not coming instantly (from playing with other dogs or chasing joggers or some other fun thing).

Which method is going to get the best recall?

Same deal with walks. Who is the most fun to go walking with and the quickest to head off doggy bad behaviour in your family? I'm guessing it's not you. So now you need to pay attention to the ones your dog likes to go with to see why.

Thanks so much everyone for your valuable input......
    I am sure Mak bit me because I was forcing him to go for a walk...

He now walks on the lead very well. have that sorted now.

Today it happened again, he was so excited to see me he jumped up on me, started biting, then bit me arm and it was bleeding.

He does not bite my husband, or my eldest son.

He only bites me and my 14yr old son.... Now myself and my son treat him like a baby and I guess it's not such a good idea.

My husband and my eldest son are very stern with him when he does wrong, so I guess Mak just gets the message from them two, but is a little too cheeky with me and my youngest son....

More DISCIPLINE needed from us maybe??

From your immediate description above, your doglet sees you and your 14yo as beneath him in the peking order - so zero respect. Your husband is positioned as pack leader, and your eldest son is also established as being above the dog in pack rank.

It's time to step up and be in control. No exicted voices, no excited playing. Calm actions, calm voices, NO allowing doglet to jump on you (that's domination - by allowing it, you confirm now that doglet is above you in pack). Set boundaries, and reinforce them with calmness.

When your dog acts in your immediate vicinity in a way you don't accept - give him a virtual bite, just the way a dominant pack member would in the wild. Hold your hand, palm up, fingers relaxed in a slightly curled position. Then firmly (but not hard), jab your fingertips only into the ruff of the neck between the ears and the whithers. This is where his doglet mum would literally bite him when he steps out of line - so this is where you must do it to reconnect him to you as being his superior. A deep "Ach" or "no" and the finger-bite, will give him the message - but you need to stay calm while doing it! And no other scolding. Just the one noise. Then walk away - calmly - and no attention for him for a while.

It may take a few weeks for him to see you as his superior - he will not promote you just because you want him to - you have to act like his superior, and then you will be.

You will know the moment you are "promoted" as after you correct his behaviour, he will come to you, head slightly lowered from upright (but now cowered), tail wagging - a happy doglet, secure that he knows his (and your) place in your pack.

Good luck!

I would make some rules & stick to them for a start eg where the dog is & isn't allowed etc.
    Do not allow any jumping up or rough play & any play must be by your rules. As soon as the pup becomes overexcited stand up & turn your back & go on with something else, don't let it esculate to biting.
    Walks are great but to help with the pups behavour make sure he isn't walking you & you decided which way your going & at what pace.
    Teaching him to sit & wait for his dinner & other simple stuff will help heaps too.
    As Pinkie said keep things calm & make some boundries, you'd be surpriced who quick it will help.
    Good luck & most of all enjoy your pup.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

Thread Information