Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vestibular in 11 Year Old Pug

Default Vestibular in 11 Year Old Pug

Hi everyone,
    I have 2 pugs. They are 11 years old and came to me as rescues when they were 7 years of age. They are sisters. One of them had a vestibular attack 3 weeks ago (diagnosed by vet) which was very distressing but recovered in 48 hours. Two days ago she had another attack. This time she is taking longer to recover although she is doing very well. I am a bit concerned because I thought recurrences were quite rare and this is two attacks in 3 weeks. The only thing she is unable to do properly now is jump up on things as she has no depth perception and she seems a bit groggy and sleepy. Both pugs are usually very active. Is it likely that this is going to be a continuing thing from now on? The vet has told me that vestibular does not affect their brain in any way, just their balance and it is not permanent except for a head tilt in some dogs. Does anyone here have much experience of this?
    Thanks in advance,

I have once only & it was a few years back.
    Dog recovered well but never regain full cordanation but you'd only tell if you'd been told or knew the dog real well.
    I was told it could come back but chanses where it wouldn't.
    Not much help sorry maybe someone else will know more.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

Turns out that she probably has a brain tumour. I am devastated!. We took her to the vet last night because she was not getting better and seem to be getting a bit worse. Both sisters are very active despite their age, so it is very unusual for her to be so flat and dull in her behaviour and she has no depth perception. She also seem unable to ascertain direction. The vet is doing some blood tests to rule out a couple of other issues, but he is fairly certain that her vestibula is the result of brain tumour rather than the idiopathic kind. If this is the case, he has told us that her quality of life will get steadily worse. We get the test results this afternoon. Linda

Northern NSW

Such sad news for you & your dogs Linda45

Such a rapid onset of symptoms & deterioration within 3 weeks.

Be strong
    ... Jade ...

Aha yeah me too! wee wee or pee pee and poo poo's or poopie

So sorry to hear that Linda.
    I had a bc who had a brain tumour & from dignosis to being pts was only a month but we put her on meds & made the most of our time we had left. She started fitting & the meds could not stop them so we had to say goodbye. Jo was a very specail girl & I always wonder why it's the specail ones who seem to be taken in the worse ways.
    Be strong for your other dog & I will be thinking of you. Good luck with the results & follow up.

Her sister can't quite understand why she is getting so much attention all of a sudden. The one with the suspected tumour is the submissive of the two dogs, so her dominant sister is quite annoyed at the special treatment she is getting. Today she is more stable. We have put a rug on the ground for her because she is unable to jump up on her special chair. Her sister immediately jumped down beside her and made sure she had the best position. She is able to toilet herself which is a relief because I hadn't seen her have a bowel movement for 2 days. The vet has given us some special food for her which is very soft and has to be heated prior to eating. Apparently it makes it smell better and is therefore more appetising for her. We already know that the prognosis is very bad if she does have a tumour and I have made a decision that I will not allow her to keep having seizures. I would rather she be put to sleep than prolong her suffering. It all sucks.

Defently sux could not agree more.
    Heating food dose help some dogs feel like eating when unwell.
    Wishing you all the very best with it.

Rural NSW

Oh yes it sucks badly.
    I am so sorry.
    She is lucky to have such a great caring owner though.
    Many of us have had to make this decision at some time or other and it never gets easier.
    We are here for you and please keep us updated.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

I have attached a picture of her.Wendy.jpg

Her name is Wendy.

God Bless you Wendy, I will be thinking of you.

Thread Information