Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Looking for a Good Match

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Myf, my best friend's first dog was a Husky -- she is 18 and now has 3 It's all about consistency and training, which a beginner owner can provide. They are independent, yes, but they are also easy to train if you have the right approach (for the individual dog, of course).

To the OP, they do cope okay with heat. Their coat insulates and cools them down - they don't need to be clipped!
    Speaking from experience, with my own and with others I have worked with, there are very few people I would ever recommended a husky to. They are beautiful and kind hearted dogs and I love them to bits, but they are not for everyone. Especially beginners. Some people can be very good with them if they have a natural instinct with dogs, but most people I'm afraid to say are not.

Your friend must be one of kind, but especially for the OP, a husky would not suit at all. There is all the walking in the morning and at night so they don't become destructive, the brushing, the training (they are very very very smart dogs who most of the time out smart their owners which can make training a bit of a challenge ), etc etc.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

I don't find my Sibe hard to train, but that's because I only have my beagle to compare him to. After eight years in the breed I can say with confidence that the average first time owner would not cope with a Siberian.

Yes I couldn't agree with the last 2 posters more. My mum used to have a Sib & she was a challange from day 1 but the result was worth it. I have to say though your've got to be devoted to spending time with your dog & very willing to take advise. We thought we where a very dog savy family whem Mishka came along but she sure taught us a few things. Her exercise drive was huge & all small animals where seen as prey. She also had an unforgiving memory for training mistakes meaning they can be sensitive & using the wrong methods can cause ongoing problems.
    But at the end of the day she will be 1 of my most treasured dog memories as she had the biggest heart & was just a big part of our lives for many years.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

Oh, my Siberian is just the loveliest dog. I can't fault his temperament, he is a real gentleman, in eight years he has never shown any aggression towards anyone even when he's hurting, though he is very prey driven and will kill small animals (apart from our cats). I adore him and I will definitely have another one, one day. But yeah - not for your average owner by any means.

Yes Mishka was lovely with people though shy untill she knew you & just the smartest girl.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

My Sibe (his name is Micha) is very sociable, confident and outgoing, he is very handsome and boy does he know it, we always joke that if he could talk he'd sound like Derek Zoolander (that movie Ben Stiller was in).

If you have sometime to spare and feeling energetic a border collie is just the thing as they need a good daily routine and workout.

Thread Information