Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shape Ups by Skechers?

I've got the Spendless ones and I love them. I dont know if they do what they say they do when it come to toning but I'm on my feet standing in the one spot all day and this is the first time in 3 years I haven't had sore calf muscles.

Gippsland, Victoria

My first introduction to this type of shoe was about 10-12 years ago, when Sketchers had a basic sneaker variety with a platform or ridge in the toe which created an imbalance and made the person walking push off from the toe instead of the heel or flat part of the foot.

In the last 12 months, I saw MBT's at the Physio (I grit my teeth and cause myself all maner of neck pain requiring regular massage... poor me.... ). MBT stands for Masai Barefoot Technology. Essentially the other shoe makers have followed along creating a similar shoe designed for the general public as opposed to the very physio specific clientele.

The design of all is supposed to mimic walking barefoot over uneven ground... like, for example, the Masai.... and this uneveness to the ground makes the wearer stand straighter to balance and to look ahead (otherwise you fall down) which also improves posture. Thus, in order to stand tall, and keep ones balance on an uneven surface requires the use of the inner core muscles (you know the ones, ladies!!!) which then strengthens everything through the spine (upwards and downwards), and through the abdomen as well.

But you do have to walk heel-toe. Thankfully, the design sort of helps you to do that if it is not natural... and to do it any other way is likely to make you fall down.

I cannot see any reason why they would not help strengthen calf and leg muscles... but I'm not sure about the whole "Total Gym in a Shoe".... They do make you want to walk, though, and who would I be to criticise that ??!!!???

Crazy and Chipps.... I'm a sneakeraholic. I have one pair of high heels, one pair of boots. One pair gumboots for work and more sneakers than I know how to count But then, I suppose I have to admit I am a wee bit of a gym junkie, I've done some study for class and personal training, and my absolute uniform is cargo's, sneakies and a t......

Thread Information