Thread: Reducing Recreational and Complaint Barking - Best Way to Train "Quiet!"?

Question Reducing Recreational and Complaint Barking - Best Way to Train "Quiet!"?

Our 3 month old pup has found her voice. We need to teach her to moderate her barking or I can see this getting out of hand. What is the best way to train this?

e.g. I have heard about teaching them to 'speak', then 'shush' partnerd with that, but I'm not sure about this idea... Are there any other good methods? What have you found to work well?

BTW, she barks...
    - to invite/incite play
    - when she realises we are going out (or sometimes just to bed) without her
    - the first few minutes in the car

She does not usually bark at the doorbell / people / to guard. What little guard barking she does tends to be a single nice deep bark, instead of the higher pitched, repeating, loud bark she uses in the above situations!

Thanks for your help!
    Who's Ya Doggy? Dog Breed Guide. The best on the internet!

Signature approved by moderator

I taught my dog to be quiet by teaching her to speak.

Asking her to speak - reduces the "bark your head off" factor considerably as she knows if she does the right something she's going to get a treat or a pat or attention - something good. And she does just enough to get the treat eg the quietest growl. Because that's what I reward.

I also have "Enough" backed up occasionally with a pumped up spray gun for be quiet but mostly calling her and getting her to do something else works. I do usually check out what she's barking at first though - what's the point of having a dog that will alert you to intruders if you ignore the alert. Might as well teach her what is and isn't ok to bark at.

Southern NSW

Our Border Collie cross was also a Barky dog.....We taught her to speak and "quiet" or "enough". I like Hyacinth also reward a guard bark. If she barks when people arrive, I say good girls, come and meet and "that's enough" after intro if they still bark. Because our dogs are very obedience trained they listen, I think most dogs that are generally trained listen better and take notice. So I will always go back to you cannot fix one lone problem. you have to have an overall well trained/obedient dog and it will take notice to what you say.
    Our dogs are never left alone at bedtime, because they roam the house.
    But with the car, I would judt take her out if she barks. I would say "rubbish" or ''enough". When she is quiet I would allow her back in and would repeat if she barks. it might take an age to get going, but so be it. It is a P-....You take away what the dog wants, to go out in the car. It can take a bit of effort and time, but worth the effort.
    As to the play, if you don't like the bark...never and I mean never play with the dog when it barks. ignore and walk away. Somewhere in her training you have trained the dog that bark=play. Now it has to be Play only if no bark.
    this is only the way I would do it with my dogs, each and everyone has a slightly different method. Because my dogs are very different.
    Good luck
    Pets are forever

I think pups are a lot like kids in some ways and they need boundaries to bet set for them. For instance if one of my children gets a pen and draws all over a wall and I catch them in the act I will tell them no in firm enough voice to get their attention without scaring them. That's the key I think not to scare them.
    The kids soon learn the meaning of no and associate that with stop what you're doing.
    This has saved one of my kids lives when she nearly ran in front of a bus and it has stopped my dogs from chewing power cables which could easily kill them. I know a lot of people don't like corrections for a dog but I always find dogs learn quicker when taught the meaning of no.
    So with my dogs I always teach them no after they get past the sooky miss mum and the other puppies stage. About 2-3 weeks after they get home.

I like to teach my dogs to bark on command ie bark and when they can do that reliably, if I want them to stop I just say "no bark" and they always just stop barking because they know what no means. I reward them for stopping barking with a bit of food the same way I did when I taught them to bark.

Like others, I taught to speak them "shoosh" or "f*** up" LOL

It doesn't stop them from barking though if they are ready to come inside after they have had their dinner LOL

Thread Information