Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doesnt Come when I Call

Default Doesnt Come when I Call

When I call my puppy, Cruise, she doesnt come to me. Instead she runs run the yard when I am trying to catch her to bring inside and she thinks that its a game. I try dog treats but she doesnt come to me. Any suggestion to get her to come to me when she is called?

How frustrating.. I hate it when dogs do that.

Have you tried taking her out on a lead?

I take her out on the lead twice a day everyday. She comes to my partner when he calls her but he doesnt do the discplining when she has been naughty I do. And I bath her. Its frustrating Especially when I let her out in the middle of the night to the toilet and all I want to do is go back to bed.

I'd take her on the lead at night for sure so you don't have to play chasey when you want to sleep.

Hopefully she will grow out of it. Have you taken her to puppy school?

No just been teaching her myself. I think I am doing pretty well, she shakes both paws, lays down and sits and she will wait till she is told she is aloowed to eat her food even when its on the ground in front of her.

Well done!!!

What have you done to teach her a recall command?

When I call her and she comes to me I give her a treat and praise her but unless I chase her round the yard she ignores me and pretends not to hear me.

Reward reward reward any postive behavour & my poodles find a high pitch repeative call is just too much to ignore.
    I would look into the clicker training as it will be useful for any negitive behavours that may crop up in the future.
    I find the old fashion very long light weight rope & letting them go a bit away & call them back if they come make a huge deal of it & treat, if they don't come wind them back in.
    Just have to be commited & consistant to keep repeating untill dog gets it's meant to come when called.

Thread Information