Thread: SHARPEI Eye Issues :(

Unhappy SHARPEI Eye Issues :(

Hey all,

We just brought a sharpei from a breeder yesterday who appeared well and healthy whilst there. Took her to the vet today and got told she needs the entropian surgery done immediately as already has had ulcers and has been left with scarring. We have been quoted $900 for this at a place in western sydney penrith area but im just wondering if anyone knows where to get it done cheaper? or if there are other options as i have heard that if you get the procedure done at a young age you will need to do it again in the future.

Thanks a million

Not sure about costs. Have you contacted the breeder?
    Is the breeder registered ANKC?
    Last edited by molly33; 01-07-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Missbec

I'm sorry to hear that your new puppy needs surgery. If you haven't already done so, please contact your puppy's breeder to discuss this with them. I'm surprised that this problem wasn't picked up by the vet when (if) your puppy had it's vet check and first vaccination prior to going home with you. You only got this puppy yesterday, I believe that the breeder has some responsibility to assist with any surgery costs. Did you purchase your puppy from a registered breeder? Please let us know how you go. Good luck!

hey all,

well the guy owned a pet shop in penrith and his dogs are registered but i dont know how to check if hes a registered breeder? Yer her eyes are bad he said they were all vet checked at his local one and all fine then even offered to come with us to the vet yesterday (his one) but i said no as thought since its his known vet he could lie...sure enough the vet we went to today said her eyes need operating almost immediately as rubbing bad...other than that she is healthy as anything which i guess is good. Also wondering if her parents are papered can she ever be registered with the kennel association?

Missbec

You can check if the breeder of your puppy is a registered breeder with Dogs NSW. Their telephone number is 9834 3022 or email info@dogsnsw.org.au.

If your puppy is registered with Dogs NSW you should have been issued with a Certificate of Registration and Pedigree. This would be either on main register (blue form) or limited register (red form).

Is it possible that the parents of your puppy are registered but that the breeder is not an ANKC registered breeder and therefore the litter has not been registered?

Do you know if the owner of the pet shop actually bred you puppy, or did he buy the puppy from a "breeder" to then sell on from the pet shop. This is how many pet shop owners source puppies. An ethical, registered breeder would not sell any of their puppies to a pet shop. (That's not to say that all registered breeders are ethical either, they are not).

Regardless of the situation, the person who sold your puppy to you has an obligation to assist with your veterinary costs.

Kind regards.
    Ellie
    Last edited by Ellie; 01-08-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Sorry, but I would return the puppy to the store immediately and seek a refund. The store sold a faulty product and the puppy will be covered under fair trading laws.

Then, if shar peis are the right breed for you, I would contact Dogs NSW (as listed above) and find reputable breeders who health test and do not breed from faulty stock.

*Sorry, I think I misunderstood your post. Regardless, I would still be returning the puppy to the breeder.
    Last edited by Leema; 01-08-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: as *

Quote Originally Posted by miss_bec180 View Post
    hey all,

well the guy owned a pet shop in penrith and his dogs are registered but i dont know how to check if hes a registered breeder? Yer her eyes are bad he said they were all vet checked at his local one and all fine then even offered to come with us to the vet yesterday (his one) but i said no as thought since its his known vet he could lie...sure enough the vet we went to today said her eyes need operating almost immediately as rubbing bad...other than that she is healthy as anything which i guess is good. Also wondering if her parents are papered can she ever be registered with the kennel association?
    Do not let anyone tell you the pup will grow into her eyes as if they're that bad already surgrey is your best opition. Surgrey prices will vary depending on how bad the entropia is & wether it's top & bottom, both 1eye or 2 eyes.
    I have sold a dog that developed a growing type of entropia & even though both vets advised we leave it & see I offered to pay for the op.
    If you want to keep the pup the seller needs to either refund some of the purchase price or pay for surgrey.

OK,without going into the other issues,I have had entropien done - one eye- and came just shy of $480. We were also advised to have eye removed due to extensive scarring but sourced a second opinion.With great care and ongoing care the eye is still there I'm happy to report. The cost for removal was for $800 up.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Eye problems are very common in Shar Pei

And often need surgery - it's not something that can be left to sort itself out, unless you want a blind dog dying of infection. Shar Pei also have loads of problems with skin infections especially in damp warm climates.

You might want to contact sharpei rescue and ask them for advice on care of your shar pei and to report the seller of yours.
    Sharpei Rescue Contact

you can find cheap veterinary information from your friends who love pets or from its X owner.

Thread Information