Thread: Heart Murmur

Default Heart Murmur

Ive just been told that my Bodhi has a heart murmur. The RSPCA said this is not common for a large breed and cant really tell me more except that the feel it is not severe. As we like to go for long walks, runs and swims, I am very worried that doing this type of exercise will stress his heart and he has a heart attack! They said he should be "fine" but I would like to know if anyone else has a large dog (Bodhi is a Ridgeback X Mastiff) with a murmur and if there is anything I can do or if they have had problems. Thank you

Hi Bodhi.

I have a 9 year old dog with a heartmurmur. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old, and the murmur was identified at 12 weeks.

My dog heart is graded at about 6/10 in severity (with 10 being dire).

We have never done anything special for him. Some dogs with heart murmurs cough and some do suffer from shortness of breath, but we have not had this from my dog.

Many heart murmurs are simply a noise and not an actual malfunction of the heart. Those that are malfunctions, it normally means a slightly less efficent heart rather than one that will cut out!

All the best.

Northern NSW

Hey Mrs bodhi.

Heart murmurs can vary in severity as will the symptoms.

No harm in visiting your own vet for assessment & advice.

Good luck

Edited because Leema nailed it

We rehomed a Malamute witha mummer & he lived to be nearly 10yrs old.
    He did get breathless & runny poos alot but toke medication & had a good quality of live was just abit of a couch potato.
    A vet did say he could be operated on but that it was risky & may not get that much improvement out of it anyway.
    Like everyone has said the serverity of the murmer will affect which systoms the dog will/may get.

If you're concerned about it, I would suggest getting it properly diagnosed to find out what is causing it.

thanks everyone. Ive been told it is a grade 2 murmur and unless he shows any symptoms then he can do as normal - within reason e.g., hot days avoid excercise. Fingers crossed my boy stays the same. cheers

Northern NSW

Thanks for the feedback bodhi

A healthy state (esp with weight), plus a carefull eye during sensible exercise should minimise complications for him.

Great to hear
    ... Jade ...

Aha yeah me too! wee wee or pee pee and poo poo's or poopie

Thread Information