Thread: Making Your Own Toys?

Default Making Your Own Toys?

When I got Lacey I bought her a Kong. She decided she didn't want to work for her food (simple mind ) so I decided to modify the kong so she could play with it.... So the Kong had been forgotten, sitting under the outside staircase with the remnants of some dogroll in there It smelt disgusting, like vomit. So anyway, I managed to clean it out by chucking it in some hot water and dishwashing detergent, and after it had dried, I got some rope and threaded it through, and then I got a piece of hosepipe and tied it to the other end of the rope, like a handle thing. So now she absolutely LOVES it, she chucks it around, chases it (it bounces like a maniac), she chews it, and it'll amuse her for hours without me having to do anything

So what have you made for your dog? Do they like it or was it a major flop?

My dogs will play with anything with food in it, until all the food is gone so I don't have that problem, Phoenix loves her kong but it only takes a short amount of time to get it out.

Things I have made in the past are -

Empty egg carton, treats or dry food in it, poke some holes in the top, tape it shut and let them play with it try to get the food out. I also do a similar thing with coke bottles.

Inside of a paper towel roll - treats/dryfood in the middle, peanut butter on either end they have to lick the peanut butter out to get to the treats

They get bored if there is no food involved unless a person is playing with them as well.

Rox had a toy with a squeak that she destroyed. When I was sewing somthing one day I rolled up a bunch of fabric and stuck 'legs' of fabric our ot it, sort of like an octopus, and put the squeaky in it and she loved it.

Jackson destroys everything we give him so his favorite toy is anything that lasts longer than an hour.

I put a piece of old main sheet through an everlast fun ball, and dog likes playing with that. I can stuff a bit of kibble in too and it's harder to get out with the rope in the way.

There's a few people I know who make tug toys by plaitting bits of fleecy strips together ie if you have an old sweatshirt that has died - you can cut it into ribbons and plait it to make a dog toy. Or you can buy fleece remants from fabric shops and use that.

I make a lot of toys out of rolled up sox and tennis balls. And I sometimes stuff the socks with stuffing previously ripped from toys - usually op shop toys for under 3yos (no spikes or hard bits).

Well as boring as it sounds my dogs like a couple of tea twels tied together to play tug with each other & plastic milk bottles with a little rice inside.

Plastic bottles are my Katy's favourite toys, she loves them...........
    Pets are forever

Plastic bottles are a favourite here too.
    Brody takes just a few seconds to get the lids off... the ring around the base of the lid takes a little longer.

Tennis balls and anything squeaky is generally well loved here as well.

Snoopy entertains himself by running up and down the hallway with our old soft toys and he loves to pull out all the stuffing and bite off the ears etc. We have to constantly mend the gaps that he rips open by sealing it off with duct tape, but he still loves it no matter how much duct tape is covering it.

We also rip up pieces of fabric (from old clothing) into strips and tie them together with big knots. He drags it everywhere around the house and in the garden. Best part though, is that if it gets dirty, we can just chuck it in the washing machine!
    Funny thing is, he gets freaked out by squeaky toys, and gives himself a massive fright every time it squeaks!
    Last edited by mel.j98; 01-06-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Fosty eats plastic bottles. Sigh.

Big dogs will often love to play with really large plastic containers with stones in them, they can throw them about and make quite a lot od noise, probably helps niose proof the dogs too, we have used containers up 20 ltr size with a bit of rope or rag through the handle.
    Our Bostons like anything they can 'kill' so smaller bottles for them.

Thread Information