Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolfing of Lamb Rib Bones by Puppy... OK or Not?!

Question Wolfing of Lamb Rib Bones by Puppy... OK or Not?!

We read that raw lamb rib bones are great for pups because they are soft... Thing is, our pup now downs them in a few seconds flat, basically whole.

She seems to be fine doing this, and I know it's standard doggy behaviour, but it gives me the heebejeebies! She's barely 10 weeks old and 7kg - can it really be OK for her to wolf bones like this?!

(If not, what is a safer way to give her raw bones?)
    Who's Ya Doggy? Dog Breed Guide. The best on the internet!

Signature approved by moderator

I know alot of poeple are against raw bones but I feed them at least 3 x a week. I am not a vet though.
    Maybe you should cut the ribs down though say cut 1 rib into 3 parts, you just cut between the rib bones.
    Generally at this age though I feed more raw chicken necks, wings & lamb shanks than any other bones.
    Also alot of vets say you should only feed those huge big marrow bones & the chicken wings/necks. Of course you should NEVER feed any sort of cooked bone.
    I'm interested to hear what the others think?

Bone feeder here as well.
    I feed lamb bones such as the ribs , pelvis and lamb necks to my smaller breed dog and the larger breed, who is a gulper, is fed chicken carcass, lamb ribs half a rib cage, I suppose you call it and marrow bones for dental, dental in this case as he is only allowed to chew the cartilage bits on the end. Because they are weight bearing bones dogs have been known to break teeth.
    So back to bones. They have the greatest source of calcium to phosphorous ratio.
    They are a natural toothbrush for dogs, they have essential fatty acids, protein and minerals. I digress.....
    The trick is to find what suits your dog, yes lamb bones and chicken bones are the softest as they come from young animals/birds.
    So I would maybe try chicken necks or the lamb rib but hold onto it so she has to chew it properly.
    I still to this day supervise bone eating

Rural NSW

Agree with the others. Bone feeder here too.
    When the pups were weaning I started them on half a wing each. We then progressed to a whole one and by about 8 weeks or so they were also on other ones, size appropriate. Sometimes the soft rib ones, sometimes beef ones, depending what I got in the box from the butchers.
    One can be a gulp guts feeder if they are soft. I find though she (now 14 months old) just regurgitates them and tries again. That is if the other 2 don't get to it first.

A pic I got of River who was rehomed through rescue.
    He is the one second from the left in the pic above.

I have not enquired who's leg he is carting around.
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 12-22-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Love those pics.
    Great to see the pups eating bones, as they should.
    I wish more people could see this.
    Years ago vets rarely did dentals, now it's one of the most common procedures.

Both my vets recommend bones but there are a lot that don't.
    Yes dogs have and can choke on a bone but that's usually due to the wrong size bone given, a cooked bone, or a very old bone that has been dug up or left lyinging around too long .
    Dogs have choked on greenies, raw hides, kongs ,toys and sticks.

What great pics.
    Yes I have never had a bone problem & vets, trainers & judges have all commented on how clean & healthy all my dogs teeth seem to be even the older pack members. I am sure it's due to them eating bones as soon as they could as I don't brush their teeth. Really I only ever do it(brush teeth) when we use the hydro bath. I used to do it before showing also but have not shown for years now.

Bone feeding can go wrong but as long as you're around while the dog is eating it and later when she is crapping it, and it's all good at both ends then no problem.

Zoe's bony treat | Adelaide Animal Hospital

For me - my dog will make sharp splinters out of the bone and then swallow those and later vomit them or have trouble crapping them - usually at 3am. Not fun.

Recently she did do some careful munching on bones in a friend's yard - raw lamb neck I think, anyway it was all good but it's not something I allow often and I keep close watch for any sign of blockage or things going wrong. If she'd just chew the pieces small enough it would be good.

Ways to slow them down include freezing the bone before handing it over, or keeping hold of one end while the puppy chews so it can't hoover it.

She's the first dog I've had/lived with that I can't feed bones. Sigh.

I have an eleven week old Great Dane puppy and I had the same problem. I found she would start with chewing the bones, but after a few times of chicken necks and her swallowing them whole, I moved her up to chicken frames cut in half and frozen. It still takes her a good 20-25 minutes to get through one. I have also started giving her knuckle bones that have been cut lengthways in half so she can suck the marrow out, frozen, it amuses her for hours and she chews on the bone for days afterward. I say the bigger, the least chance of choking, and more amusement you get for your pup. I just stopped giving her such small bones, she stopped wolfing them down. It'll also start your pup off with good dental health, chewing bones regularly.

Southern NSW

You need to pick your bones and i also believe that dogs who are used to getting frequent bones are not the ones who have issues. our dogs are slow with bones, because they get them nearly everyday. i have been feeding bones myself to many dogs since 1980 and my Dad always fed bones too. We have never had issues. Chewing stick and wood, because they do not have bones causes just as many injuries and vet trips. We feed Brisket bones to puppies. Our newfie puppies get Brisket bones form four weeks of age at our newfie Breeder. We feed all bones. But we watch the pups and give them the softer ones

Pets are forever

planet Earth

I also feed bones, or rather give them to my dogs to chew. I feed only big beef bones with lots of cartliage and chewy bits.
    As for your puppy scuffing a whole bone - it's not good really. Rather give it a bone that's large so he can just chew and not swallow. Or hold the bone with your hand and teach him to chew and enjoy, not to swallow.
    There's no better thing / treat / toy than big juicy bone!
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

Thread Information