Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why More Food Doesn't Equal More Love.

melbourne australia

If that's the case Hachna, i need to love myself more!

There will always be people who construe food as symbolic of love. This is a deep seated core belief that some have. Core beliefs are rarely changing over a lifetime without significant professional help. Therefore, the likelihood of maintaining the new feeding behaviour in such a person, is likely to relapse back to original behaviour, as 'I cant, its not fair, she loves her food' is his/her TRUTH, not "im being cruel to be kind".

so a bit of education, a bit of community opportunity to get active, dog parks/beaches available, wil entice the ones that are willing. Those that arent, wont be changing anyhow.

But before i go jumping up n down about dogs, i wanna tackle obese parents, with their obese kids first. Sickens me more than the "i used to be a labrador, now im a single bed with legs at the corners"

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    That is also true Mollinator, I understand that

Im more aiming at people that, a) feed to much, b) don't exercise enough, c)don't realise their dog is fat and d)don't think a fat dog is a problem.
    I have come across a few people who do all of the above. An old friend of mine had an extremely obese golden retriever whom they didn't see was a problem or what was even causing her to become so round (could have something to do with the fact that the dog was fed a diet of dog food and daily human food scraps but that's still a mystery in itself)I just felt so bad for that dog

I have a friend that I met 15 years ago with a Ridgeback that was incredibly fat. It was only years later that I realised what a ridgeback was supposed to look like. The dog had all sorts of health issues and died prematurely.

Then he got a ridgeback cross and did the same to her.

Now he has a staffy that looks like one of those padded footrests. Poor thing can barely run, even though he loves chasing the frisby. His breathing sounds very labourer.

He does walk his dogs regularly but just keeps feeding them crap. When he gets kfc the dog eats half. In summer the dog gets an ice cream when they walk to the shops!

I don't understand people that over feed animals. I'm borderline obsessive over the weight of my pets, my cat was what I thought a normal weight until I took him to the vet and the vet said he needed to loose about 800g for his breed, only problem was I got him down to the right weight and he looked a bit scrawny but I had changed his food, which he didn't seem too fond of, and kept losing weight after that and was leaving food behind every day, looking more and more scrawny. I've changed his food again and he's very rapidly gaining weight again despite feeding him the recommended amount for his ideal weight so he's being weighed regularly to monitor his gains so I can decrease his food as necessary. My pup being a dachshund is never being allowed to become overweight, I know that's just asking for trouble with his back so I watch him like a hawk. My parents almost seem proud by how heavy their cat is, he's a big fluff ball and I'm sure a lot of weight is in his double fur coat, but he's also on the chubby side and with a slightly squished face I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with respiratory issues. I think my mother tries to be tough and only gives him set amounts of certain foods, but my dad spoils him a bit and gives him second breakfasts and treats and scraps, I'm sure my mother caves sometimes too and gives him more food. Aside from the health of my pets, I'd rather not have to buy more expensive food if it's not necessary. My cat and dog only go through a cup of food a day between them, with the occasional bone and they're a healthy weight.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    Assessing your dogs weight;1. Running your hands along your dog's ribcage, you should be able to palpate the ribs covered by a thin layer of fat. Inability to feel the ribs is a sign of an overweight dog.
    2. Looking at your dog from the side, you should be able to see the upward tuck of the abdomen. An overweight dog will have very little or no tuck.
    3. Viewing your dog from above, there should be a moderate narrowing at the waist just past the ribcage. A straight or bulging line from the ribcage to the hips indicates an overweight dog.
    4. Pay attention to the breeds ideal weight. Although all dogs are different, if your dog is 10kg over the breeds general ideal weight, you know something has to be done.
    #5 does my lab look like he just ate a cow?

On a more serious note, totally agree think it's just common sense.

I also think its just common sense to not over feed them, feed them good food and walk them daily.

I know this is an old post, but I have a similar problem. I bought my mum and dad another King Charles cavalier puppy after they lost their previous one. Their previous KCC was not overweight like this one is. She is only 18 months old and looks like an old dog and with their hereditary predisposition to heart problem I am really concerned. I weighed her yesterday and she is 15 kg
    I think they are trying to show their love with food and I keep trying to encourage them to exercise and reduce her food intake and to make things worse mum blames dad, dad blames mum. Any suggestions on how to get through to them, seems to be more of a people problem than a dog problem.

Their dog will still love them if they don't feed all the time.

There are other things to do like games of tug, belly rubs...

And if they must give treats - then maybe have on hand some stuff that won't pile on the weight like bits of carrot or sweetcorn. (sweetcorn goes straight through unchanged).

And maybe they can use a bob a lot an put the allocated amount of food in there. They need to cut back by 10% a week until the dog is the right weight. And it's important not to leave food out all the time (also known as free feeding).

Making the dog work for her share of food is more fun for the dog.

Feeding the dog too much is cruel.

My brother managed to get through to his girlfriends mum who kept over feeding their kelpie x by pointing out that getting too fat would only aggravate her already existing hip problem. Sometimes pointing out the health issues that can come from over feeding is enough to wake people up.

Thread Information