Thread: Constant Mouthing

Perth, WA

Default Constant Mouthing

HI Guys,

Just thought id pop in again and ask a couple of questions about our new boy arrow and see if anyone could give us a hand.

For those who dont know arrow is an 18 month of castrated male dane.
    We have had a trainer out to assess him in one of the "post adoptive" consultations they offer. Arrows main behavioural issue is that he mouths - hard... He doesnt usually draw blood but if he gets you in the right spot he will do, and if you ignore him he just gets worse

Hell grab hold of anything on you that he can - clothes, arms, hand etc. Its in a playful way but he wont listen to anything once he starts it and even if you face up into a brick wall and stand rock solid he'll grab the back of a shirt or jumper and pull to the point of the shirt tearing.

Ive tried subsituting my hand or whatever he wants to bite for a toy, made him sit down, held his mouth shut and told him off, yelped when he bites, ignored him, walked away as soon as he does it but it doesnt seem to matter. When he does play with us nicely with toys we stop the game as soon as he gets his teeth onto us and we always make sure we end the games not him.

Weve tried consistently to ignore the behaviour and reward him when he settles down (what the trainer reccomended) for about two weeks and if anything its got progressivley worse - when he does this we give him absolutely no interaction at all, n eye contact, no speaking just standing rock solid still acting like a very boring dead tree or something

The behaviour mainly occurs if we are lower than him - so sitting on the couch or on the floor or lying down - and if we go out to the back yard. However sometime he'll initiate it in other circumstances.

He also starts this behaviour almost as soon as visitors walk in the door and also when out and about walking,the only person hes allowed to approach is a vet i work with because of this and he is always on a leash.

Obviously this is not something we tolerate and we are trying to get this sorted out - hence having a trainer come out, assess him and give us some tips. He is a big dog weighing in at about 60kgs now and still has a bit to put on and he is intimidating to people who dont know him. Its just not acceptable and i dont think we are going to be able to join a group class until we get it sorted as i dont want him eating other participants.

He doesnt have any respect for us at all it seems, he'll completely ignore us if he feels like it.

He can be a complete darling when he feels like it, hes just been allowed to get away with far too much when he was younger and has been inadvertently rewarded for bad behaviour.

If anyone in perth could PM me a reccomended trainer or anyone could offer advice it would be greatly appreciated. The current stuff we are doing doesnt seem to be working at all so we need something that will be effective for him and that will eventually let us be a happy family

Hi, I'm guessing you have adopted this dog as an 18 month old?

I'm just a dog owner, so I can only offer my own experience with large dog breeds. If a grown dog was actually hurting me in play, I would be correcting the behaviour by telling the dog "NO' and waiting until it stops and focuses on me, then giving it a reward. Under no circumstances would I accept being threatened or hurt, the dog needs to know that you are in charge.

Have you tried pushing your body part (gently) further into his mouth instead of pulling out. The choking sensation is unpleasant and usually the dog will try to spit you out. My brother is also fond of tongue grabbing but this didn't work on my dog.

A dane is a big dog. If height is a problem for couch potato time, or for greetings, make him drop when he's with you and you're on the couch. You might need to up the quality of your rewards (yummier treats). And same with guests. Make him drop before he's allowed to greet.

I make my dog drop to greet children, gives me more control. And I make her drop to get treats from friends, and I make her drop if another dog is showing signs of aggression. It helps calm them down (no threat here).

Albury NSW

I'm with Hyacinth. Every dog I've ever worked with that has had this problem, has been fixed by pushing my hand further into their mouth. My dog mouthed me once when he was a puppy and that was it. The sensation of possibly choking is usually enough to stop them.

When you have visitors, it is your job to answer the door and greet them, not your dogs. Simply claim the area around the door and the visitors as yours. Setting clear, consistent boundaries for your dog will help.

Don't worry about taking your dog to classes if he is mouthing. The instructors are all there to help you fix problems. They don't expect perfect dogs to come to classes!! If you are worried about him hurting other guests, explain this to the instructors and keep some distance between you and the others.

Good luck!!

Thread Information