Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate Training for My Dog!!!

Default Desperate Training for My Dog!!!

My dog almost got run over today and i swear that is the most awful feeling having to watch that happen. To be honest, i've been a bit slack with my training so i've decided to pick up the slack. My main problem would be to get her to respond to me when outside. Inside shes pretty obedient, but outside it extremely difficult to get her to listen to me. When we were trying to catch her, the more we ran after her and shouted the further she ran. So any pointers on what i should do? I got her when she was around 1.5 yrs. What do people think about smacking. Because i seriously felt like giving her a good whack because she almost gave me a heart attack.

What is the best way to get her to respond straight away? i know that training takes awhile and you have to be consistent but do you guys have any pointers. Thanks for any help.

Western Sydney

Yes I know your feeling of a smack but it won't work and there is no easy way to fix. I will go for a local dog training school. They are cheap and you will get further information from people there. Perhaps if you tell members where you live, perhaps they can provide info on local dog schools?
    To me the local dog school was an extension to puppy school, and we (my minis and us) had a great time in the school. Good Luck!
    I love cooking but I love eating even more.

the best pointer i can give from the little information NEVER reprimand when the come back to you no matter how annoyed you are because they will then associate bad things coming their way when they return. so ANYTIME they come to you ESPECIALLY when they are outside make it the biggest deal in the world as if they have done the greatest thing imaginable because then they are MORE likely to come back the next time.

what breed is your dog? some breeds are more likely to nick off as well so you need to know and understand the breed that you have before you decide in the best way to go about training a "reliable recall" and its possible, i have a siberian husky one of the most notorious of breeds of running and never coming back. i have her with a very reliable recall on a dog whistle, i worked very hard and made sure, when training that she WOULD come back if whistled .... i can go through how i did get her that way if you want, but its a bit late .... early my head is elsewhere haha, just rememeber any dog can be trained to do anything they can physically do, dont give up!!
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

TBH- if you know your dog does not have good recall have it on a leash at all times. Its not the dogs fault, you as the responsible owner need to have it on a leash and then it wont get hit by a car.
    We have a beagle- no amount of training is going to give him good recall- smells are just too exciting. He is always on a leash. Boring but true.

yep I would agree with Sweetboy, ours are always on leads when out of the yard (well until they escaped this morning, that's another thread) but I agree, we haven't built that level of trust and confidence in our dogs yet that they can come out of the yards without leads.....

with the exception of going to the car to go somewhere and even then, if there are other people/dogs about they go on leads to go from front gate to garage, my babies aren't worth the risk.

Albury NSW

Default Recall

The best way to get your dog to recall is to make yourself more exciting than anything else out there.
    Lots of practice with calling your dog and rewarding with food when she comes will help. Also when you are practicing this, touch her collar when she comes to you. This will get her used to you touching her collar without grabbing her every time.
    Also, if your dog goes to run away and you chase her and she runs further, turn and walk the other way. She is treating it like a game. Remember you are the pack leader!! It's your game or no game!!

Until you have the recall down its probably best that you walk her on lead.

Good luck!!

thanks for the advice so far. my dog is a pomeranian cross and she is pretty active. the reason she got out was because my mum accidently opened the door and so she just decided to run out. i'm gonna put into practice the suggestion of walking the other way if she goes in one direction, though i have to admit that its pretty nervous, because i'm not always hundred percent sure that she'll come back. but so far its working.

You might want to start by teaching her door manners. Ie no shooting out the door just because it gets opened. And if you are opening the door for someone - put her on lead first.

And get Lesley Nelson's "really reliable recall" DVD and watch it and then put what it says into practice.

It is possible to train beagles. Not easy but possible.

Get a long piece of rope/lead and tie your dog on. Start in the backyard cause its a little less exciting. When you call her, gently pull on the lead toward you and treat her once she gets there. Once she comes perfectly on the rope/lead, then you can start off the lead in the backyard. Then advance to on a lead on the street and from there she should have perfect recall.
    My Kelpie X's recall is instant. She doesn't even think about it. She hears her name and turns around and comes back.
    Roly on the other hand is a bit slower, but he's 12, so I'll cut him some slack.

How exercised is your dog? If walking is a once a week occasion, then yeah, she's gonna be a bit out of control. When I did dog walking as a teenager, I would always get calls from the owners of out of control overweight Labradors(funny huh) and after 2 weeks of walking twice a week, there owners all said how much more obediant and calm they were.

As for 'smacking', I might surprise the forum by saying I have no problem with it when 'used' at 'appropriate' times, if that makes sense? Mummy dog will bite/nip when puppy does something wrong, its part of their growth. Learning whats acceptable and whats not...
    Its the same with smacking your children. I was smacked as a child, but I wasn't abused, it was used in the right circumstances.
    Education not Legislation

Sorry hijacking.....

Myf it's interesting you say you have no problem with 'appropriate' smacking, we have always felt there are circumstances when a quick swift flick/smack on the snout is very warranted.

We have a couple family friends that although have had no formal dog training experience, their dogs are always very obedient and bad habbits just about don't exist. They have always said that a few meaningful clips to the snout lets them know you mean business and there's no point questioning your authority.

Obviously this is NOT an open inviation to cut loose on your dog, but used very sparingly and when verbal command is not working.

An example:
    If Lilly nips at my nephew (although rare she does do it) she gets a quick firm snap on the snout and told NO quite gruffly. The intent is hopefuly the gruff no will eventrually be enough .
    Last edited by Shelby-001; 10-18-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: SPELLING

Thread Information