Thread: JUMPING Suddenly! Electric Fence Question

Default JUMPING Suddenly! Electric Fence Question

Hi all,
    thought i had a dog proof pound area in my garden, then daughters b/f mistakenly throws a stick for the dog, that landed in the shut pound.
    Bernie just cleared the fence like it wasnt there at all.

Its the same hight as the perimeter fence. And now ive realised, i may as well not have a darn fence that cost me thousands to install!

so, electric fence question.
    Once you dog has managed to escape the electric perimeter fence, how does it get back in without being shocked?

I think the point is that they don't get out!
    Education not Legislation

You need to put the electric fence on the perimeter fence and set the distance far enough out that the dog will get enough of a shock before it's mid air jumping over. They can't get back if they get out. I set mine to beep and zap at about 1m from the fence.

I think the standard take off would be about the height of the jump (fence?) back from the fence and then you want to prevent the take off so you'd need a metre or so inside that, so you'd need 3m inside a 2m fence.

And I believe the electric fence requires training your dog to understand what the zap means, ie stay this side and you're fine, wander there and you get zapped...

But it would still zap if he approached from the wrong side. You'd need some other way to get him back in, like an un zapped area with a one way valve door on it.

Or you can put lattice on the top of the fences you have all the way around.

Just wondering I'm looking at purchasing an electric fence for Poodle. The garden is small but we have a trendy contemporary concrete fence that has a hole in it plus a small gap at the side of the electric gate. I'm wondering do these plug into the wall how is the wire installed as we do not have an electrical plug outside. Can someone recommend a good electric fence. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDog View Post
    Just wondering I'm looking at purchasing an electric fence for Poodle. The garden is small but we have a trendy contemporary concrete fence that has a hole in it plus a small gap at the side of the electric gate. I'm wondering do these plug into the wall how is the wire installed as we do not have an electrical plug outside. Can someone recommend a good electric fence. Thanks
    You need to have a look around for one that's suitable for your breed. Kramar have one that is made for comfort and also has different zap settings.

The control panel plugs into the wall, then the wire is attached to the control panel and usually buried in the position where you want the permiter fence. I drilled a hole through my aluminium window frame to let the wire through.

I would suggest researching the different types available before you buy.

Thread Information