Thread: Starting Up My Own Business in Dog Grooming

Default Starting Up My Own Business in Dog Grooming

Well, looking at franchises to start with. I'm comparing Jim's with Hydrodog at the moment.

Any members here doing any of these?

Middleton SA

I had a mobile one to start with it was called Doggy Wash, I now work from home which is 100% better, the franchise fees were a joke, now I have no overheads so what I earn is mine, not the franchises .

Yep we have a mate that has her own mobile grooming/washing business. It's 100% hers, not franchised. Trailer set her back a fair bit, but it's fully enclosed fibreglass and air conditioned. She set her own hours of Mon - Thurs 9-2.30 (school hours) and is making a mint.

She is one of 3 mobile ones and there's a pet salon shop in a town of roughly 5000 people. Franchise fees can be really hefty so it's probably not worth paying them for nothing, when you can set it up independently. Our friend did a course in grooming/washing (not sure of the details) with a trainer in our big sister town, 35km north (it's got about 120000 people). Do your homework and get yourself set up, as miss jayne said, then your money is your money you aren't paying someone else for nothing.

When we took over our takeaway business, we did a couple of flyer drops and put fridge magnets with them (bit like the calendar ones the real estate agencies do if you have ever seen them) with everything you offer and contact details etc. Putting magnets in all your local veterinary surgeries and pet stores is a great way of getting your name out and put posters on local notice boards and in shops like mine..... takeaway shops are a great place to put signs as people have to stand and wait for food so they look around and read what's in front of them. Great free exposure. Anyone you know that has notice boards at work can put up posters for you as well.

Good luck with your venture hope all works out well for you.

Rural NSW

No experience with this at all. Posting to wish you luck with whichever way you go about this.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

I have lots to consider.
    There is a franchiser coming here at 2pm so I will listen and compare and work out the best way to go.
    Lts of people have advised me to go on my own.

I would also suggest going on your own. Hope it all works out for you Pugger and it goes the way you want it to.

Thread Information