Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake Season ?

Here's one for the Vic's here, been inundated with snake calls the last two days with the first mid 20's weather.
    Last one was a 3 YO Eastern Brown Snake walking through the Kangaroo Ground Kinder.
    Snake was kind enough to stay in the same general place for five hours before I got there as I was "snake proofing" a school at Lang Lang all day, (They had Copperheads).
    All the best

I used to live in Warrandyte (near Kangaroo ground) and there were always snakes around.
    That's why I moved

Rural NSW

Saw a brown right near the house. They have a whole farm to roam in. Shotgun is at the ready. They may be protected but so am I and my animals.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

melbourne australia

single dog here. very different to pack mentality of previous ownership status of 2 dogs; gsd and rottie, who would take out snakes daily and eat them as scoobie snacks, er and possums, lizards and anything stupid enough to wander into the dining area lol

Snakeman. the council mow grass to keep snakes visable to humans. How come they leave it so long? Cant you as a expert right to them about how short the grass should be?
    Emu bottom has been mown. The grass is 6" long cut. And visability for snakes is really poor at that length. Surely a waste of time moving at all?
    Another snakey ?
    emu bottom again. They have left a block of unmown grass that leads to river. Is this a snake welcome zone do you think, to draw them to there instead of on the paddocks willy nilly?

Default Councils, grass and snakes

Bernie, thanks for your post and I can tell you your grievances are all too common.
    Feral grassy blocks land, great conduits for snakes to sneak into gardens and bite snakes and councils won’t do a thing about it!
    Here’s the reason.
    Snakes are supposedly “protected”, by the State Government. The fact is they are NOT protected, but they are heavily regulated.
    If you choose to shoot a snake, or belt one on the head with a shovel, or attack it with metal snake tongs, you will never be prosecuted. (That assumes you are able to find the snake in the first place, in the long grass…).
    However because state governments over-ride local governments (in fact in Australia, local governments are totally a creation of and subserviant to, State governments), local councils have no rights to regulate snakes in any way.
    What this means is that if you complain about rubbish or long grass being a conduit for venomous snakes to your property, the council will just laugh at you.
    However there is a way out of this problem (most of the time).
    Since Black Saturday, councils, the (Victorian) State government (especially the CFA and DSE) have been held culpable for the avoidable deaths of over 150 Victorian homeowners who died because they were not allowed to clear dangerous vegetation and the DSE failed to keep boundary land clear either.
    A similar situation happened in the ACT a few years earlier.
    My advice is that if you have long grass near your house on an adjoining property, call the council and tell them someone’s trying to start a fire there.
    Because public safety is an issue, they will as a rule they will send a notice to the land owner and they will have to cut the grass, or if not, then the council comes in and does it and sends them a bill.
    Either way the job is done!
    Last week I did a kids reptile party in Melbourne in an outer suburb and I had this exact complaint from the hosts. The lady rang her local council on Monday and ran with my script (I think it was Frankston) and by Wednesday, someone had come in and cut the grass to ground level on the five acre lot next door.
    The elated lady rang me to tell me!
    She’d lost a dog last summer to a Tiger Snake and didn’t want to lose her other dog this year.
    Hopefully this advice will help some others here.
    Last edited by puggerup; 10-07-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Guidelines

Rural NSW

Had another run in with a brown. Second in 3 days. This one was right at the dog pen wire, the dogs only a couple of feet away warily barking at it.
    I called the dogs away and watched as the snake then went away from the wire, me standing still and then I lost the thing.

Today we have started to REALLY snake deter..making it as inhospitable for them as we can. Mostly, I think they are just passing through. Brush that had been sprayed in the huge pen is being chipped away and burnt. Sofa chairs that were in their shed have been removed (getting other higher dog beds with the frame and canvass matting or whatever it is) Bones and 24/7 kibble has been removed. Clam shell pool used for water and bathing is flush to the ground.
    Fire breaks have been widened and redone after so much growth after rain.

I did many hours research last night and today with pros and cons of many things. Vets were also rung and a few snakemen such as yourself.
    I know very well that opinions are firmly divided on the subject of solar snake repellers.
    I bought 8 from Gympie. ( we are on a farm, I need to do as much as I can to protect us and the dogs. Snake tracks seen in the sand in our carport too)
    We have also encircled the house yardage, the pen with netting.( Got 2km of it, much like the bird netting but used for round hay baling)) Yes I know snakes can get caught in this, attract dogs (kids too) they get caught and can die a terrible death. I have just been given a .410 gun, easier for me than a shotty. We can put them out of their misery quickly.

this is the start of it, a full unbroken area done with 2 rounds. Will do 4.

We are also spraying diesel around the outside of the dog's huge pen.
    I was told by a few I rang that snakes hate this but they will cross it though if they want to.

I can not help what happens when a dog goes further than these precautions I have made. When they are let outside for a pee they can go into the paddock near the house.
    I have them inside on a roster system so there are always 2 in the pen and one inside.

I am doing all this to hope for some peace of mind. Especially if my aggressive cancer that I am in remission for reoccurs.
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 10-07-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Default Deterrents?

Di_Dee1, let me know how you go with your various means of "Snake deterrents".
    Looking at the image of the netting, I can say from experience it works well, but not all the time.
    Works best when positioned (up) so that snake are pretty much forced to crawl through it.
    Looking at what you have there, some can be crawled over, and without entangling the snake.
    Usually when caught in this stuff they die fairly quickly as the sun hits the snake and like a solar panel, they pick up the heat and die.
    As a snake lover I obviously don't approve of this, but I accept the reality that farmers and dog owners will want to kill venomous snakes on sight.
    For what it's worth, humans in this role are merely another predator in the food chain and in the long term, snake numbers are totally unaffected.
    The main way to reduce incidence of snakes around houses is to remove habitat (ground cover and the like) and to that end, don't get too caught up in the repellent ideas, as opposed to the comcept of removing habitat and living places.

Rural NSW

No way will I become complacent snake man.
    That is only the first stage of the netting and I totally agree with what you have said. It is impractical though to have it raised in some places, eg the driveways. I don't like the idea of snakes dying a slow death either which is why I walk the line twice a day, shotty in hand.
    All bones, kibble, sofa chairs in the shed have been removed. Most of the sprayed growth has been chipped. Grader has been in to widen fire breaks along the fence lines and on one side of the pen.

One of my dogs has gone to visit my son for a week and so my other two are now both inside together.
    There is a shovel at both ends of the house.
    Every summer I do an eye sweep before venturing outside as I have been bitten, one fang only and no invenomation a few years ago when I had an outside aviary that no no longer exists..birdseed, mice, 2 browns. A VERY lucky gal.

Do you have any more suggestions please?
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 10-11-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeman View Post
    CJay your post about moving about etc to get rid of snakes is generally true.
    They hate disturbances, etc, but NOISE itself is a non-issue.
    Snakes are deaf - they have no ears...
    Also, someone here mentioned Tiger Snakes, etc, (from Tasmaina) as being generally timid.
    To the extent that all snakes are timid and shy of people you are correct, BUT compared to the rest, Tiger snakes are relatively pugnacious.
    This does however mean that snakes all over the place will run away from people.
    This week as a snake catcher in Melbourne, I've been running at about a call out a day (tonight had a Tiger snake call in Montmorency) ... taht snake had killed two chooks and a rabbit in the last week ... no dogs there, but with hotter weather forecast this week, I'd expect the rate to rise to about 3 a day (average) for the next week.
    All the best
    That's where I live.

Rural Western Australia

Where I live there are lots of granite outcrops and rock heaps. I have a very large King Brown that I have seen frequently near the house and am starting to see Gwaders and such in the wheat.

I can keep things clear around the house but with 200 acres with crops in the paddocks, granite outcrops, long grass in the bush and hay in the shed it is really impossible to do much. I walk the dogs early in the morning when it is cool and at other times of the day I just have to put them on a lead to walk. Fortunately a couple of them get some exercise working my sheep. It is a real pain.

I leave them in an enclosed patio when I am off the property and just have to hope they are okay. I leave the most smake aggressive dog in the house.

It is going to be a long hot summer! with 6 antsy dogs on my hands wondering why they can run free on the paddocks.

Thread Information