Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amstaff Standards of Australia Are Incorrect!

Thumbs down Amstaff Standards of Australia Are Incorrect!

I have recently been to an Amstaff specialty in Australia. I was appauled by the standard of dogs. It was like being at a pony/horse show!

Correct hight for an Amstaff is 18 to 19 inches at the shoulder (Male).
    Most of the dogs stood atleast 25 inches at the shoulder, I'm sorry but these dogs are not mastiffs but are a terrier and should move with style and grace.

Breeders need to take a hard look at the standards and breed to them before the Amstaffs of Australia become a joke world wide.

Shame isn't it?

When I met my first Mischiefmaka Amstaff I thought it was tiny, but all her dogs are bred according to the standard.

The judge doesn't have a measuring stick so when all the dogs in the ring are the same size, the ones that are the correct size are thought to be too small!

How can the standard be "incorrect"? It's Australia that sets the standard for Australian amstaffs, not some other country. It's pretty common for breed standards to vary between countries.

I'm no expert on Amstaff's so not going to comment on the breed standard here, expect to say I've seen some stunning amstaff's...

However If judges continue to put dogs up that are not correct to standard, the breeders will continue to breed to what the judges accept... that is true of all breeds...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie_82 View Post
    How can the standard be "incorrect"? It's Australia that sets the standard for Australian amstaffs, not some other country. It's pretty common for breed standards to vary between countries.
    I think he/she meant that a lot of the dogs being shown and bred don't conform to the breed standard.

Does the breed standard state SHOULD, or MUST be under 19 inches.

BIG difference there.

Miniature Poodle breed standard used to state MUST be under 15 inches, if they were over, they were sent from the ring.
    Now the standard has been updated to say they SHOULD be under 15 inches, meaning judges are only to give preference to dogs under 15, they can't send them from the ring any more.

planet Earth

Unfortunatly it isnt't the case just with AMSTAFFS. I notice that a lot of other breeds get good marks, even awards although they are taller (much taller!), more massive etc. I guess standards change...
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

Except for the Dogues... which seem to be becoming alarmingly smaller and more like British bulldogs! I nearly fell over seeing one in a group line up recently!!

Group: Group 2 (Terriers)

General Appearance: The American Staffordshire Terrier should give the impression of great strength for his size, a well put-together dog, muscular, but agile and graceful. He should be stocky, not long-legged or racy in outline.

Characteristics: (Not specified.)

Temperament: Keenly alive to his surroundings. His courage is proverbial.

Head And Skull: Head medium length, deep through, broad skull, very pronounced cheek muscles, distinct stop. Muzzle medium length, rounded on upper side to fall away abruptly below eyes. Jaws well defined. Underjaw to be strong and have biting power. Lips close and even, no looseness. Nose definitely black, Dudley nose undesirable.

Eyes: Dark and round, low down in skull and set far apart. Light or pink eyes undesirable. No pink eyelids.

Ears: Set high. Ears should be short and held rose or half pricked. Full drop to be penalised.

Mouth: Upper teeth to meet tightly outside lower teeth in front. Undershot or overshot mouths undesirable.

Neck: Heavy, slightly arched, tapering from shoulders to back of skull. No looseness of skin. Medium length.

Forequarters: Shoulders strong and muscular with blades wide and sloping. The front legs should be straight, large or round bones, pasterns upright. No resemblance of bend in front. Forelegs set rather wide apart to permit chest development.

Body: Back fairly short. Slightly sloping from withers to rump with gentle short slope at rump to base of tail. Well sprung ribs, deep in rear. All ribs close together. Chest deep and broad. Loins slightly tucked.

Hindquarters: Well muscled, let down at hocks, turning neither in nor out.

Feet: Of moderate size, well-arched and compact.

Tail: Short in comparison to size, low set, tapering to a fine point; not curled or held over back. Not docked. Tail too long or badly carried undesirable.

Gait/Movement: Must be springy but without roll or pace.

Coat: Short, close, stiff to the touch, and glossy.

Colour: Any colour, solid, parti, or patched is permissible, but all white, more than 80% white, black and tan, and liver not to be encouraged.

Sizes: Height and weight should be in proportion.

Height: Dogs approx 46-48 cms (18-19 ins) at shoulders Bitches approx 43-46 cms (17-18 ins) at shoulders is considered preferable.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

It clearly states the height that the dog must be. Whom are we to change the breed standards? Look at the German spitz in Australia! A classic example of what happens when you breed away from the correct standard. We then have to rely on imports to get the standard back!

Thread Information