Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden Death and Need to Know Why.

Unhappy Sudden Death and Need to Know Why.

Hi all,

I am sitting at my computer in tears right now becaue my Staffy pup died this afternoon and I am at a total loss as to why. I'm not a breeder or an expert on dogs but she was well cared for, had a good diet, up to date with vaccinations, worm free e.t.c, e.t.c.
    She was absolutely healthy and in great condition and until the moment of death was playing and running around like her usual self.
    I would like to give a recount of events and hopefully someone will have some clue as to what has caused her to die so suddenly.
    My son got home from school and called her inside. She came running and was excited/barking. Once inside she started to gag like she was trying to get something out of her throat. This continued for seconds and suddenly she fell over like she lost her balance and couldn't get to her feet. I got to her straight away and felt her throat, looked in her mouth, but there didn't seem to be anything abnormal. She seemed to go limp after that and the gagging became less frequent. It was probably a minute in all and she was dead and she bled from the nose and mouth afterwards. I thought of some sort of poisoning but there is nothing in the yard and all the neighbours are trustful - she's a house dog anyway.
    The worst part is I couldn't do a thing to help her and no opportunity to get her to the vet. There was no warning signs whatsoever.
    I'm just very confused and shocked and mainly heartbroken. I need to know what happened and would love feedback if anyone has a clue. My other dog is also morbidly depressed and checking the yard for her. Here I go again.
    She was 12wk purebred Staffy, if that has any bearing. Could it be a heart defect?
    Thanks, Billy.

Did you buy her from a registered breeder, and was she papered? Do you know if her parents were tested for genetic diseases?

like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

I didn't buy her from a registered breeder but I viewed both parents and the puppys were vaccinated and vet checked. Do you think it could be a genetic thing?

Aw I have no advice but that's really awful, I'm sorry.

Sorry to hear of your loss Billy, its highly unlikely to be genetic never heard of symptoms like that in any condition known to be genetic, a snake bite will cause bleeding, the blood will not clot properly, may cause gagging depending on type of snake and where the dog was bitten,snake bites do cause muscle spasm, the bite of a snake is often very hard to see through hair,
    She may have swallowed something that cut her throat on the way down it could have lodged a bit too far down for you to feel it easily, not so likely but possible.
    Poison is possible check out the plants in your yard.

I have nothing to offer but I am very sorry for your loss.

Moggill, Queensland

A dog of her age would have an instant reaction to a snake bite. She would likely not be running about, excited and barking.

Do you happen to have any rat bait in the house?

I was thinking rat bait too.

I'm so sorry for your loss

Hi guys,

Thank-you so much for the kind replies. I don't have any rat bait in or outside the house and after reading your posts I researched rat bait and snake bite - after reading the info I believe there would have been some warning with either.
    Minibulls mum, I also looked at choking and the reaction she had is in line with the symptoms involved. Gagging, gasping, excess of bile and death if the object can't be removed. This morning I went outside and checked the garden bed where she had been playing and was surprised to find a big whopping piece of bamboo, chewed at and splintered. Not from my yard, but I have a feeling small hands might have thrown it over the fence. I think when my son called her she might have had a piece in her mouth and when she jumped up with a start she has possibly swallowed it, hence the choking.
    I'm going to keep that information to myself because he already thinks it's his fault because it happened when he called her. I just wish I had of noticed the bamboo sooner and I might not be posting this now.
    Can't be a hundred percent sure but all evidence is pointing in that direction. After looking at the internet I've found that it is common for dogs to get things lodged in their necks and there is first aid you can administer if this happens and you have the time. It was so quick with Shiva that I didn't even have a chance. Hope nobody else ever has to deal with a horrible situation like this one - but there's good advice on the net.

Thanks again.

Rural NSW

I am so sorry.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thread Information